On the Miracle from Seattle to Alaska this summer?

ProfCruise

I'm booked on the first sailing from Seattle to Alaska on the Miracle on July 29th.  I'm live journaling about my experience from booking all the way through embarkation.  So far I've covered:

• My initial communication from Carnival regarding safety protocols
  • Researching travel insurance
  • Claiming my shareholder benefit
  • My impressions of our announced Cruise Director
  • Latest news regarding the first ship to sail from North America
  • The 2.0 upgrades on the Miracle
  • How to track where the Miracle is currently located
  • Shopping for a mask for my cruise (which will be required in the terminal)
  • Issues with excursions booked for Skagway that normally travel into Canada

So my question is, what would be helpful to know going forward for those of you traveling on a later sailing?  Anything you want me to pay special attention to onboard or as I prepare?

Thanks!  If you want to follow along with my journey you can do so here.  And feel free to share any other tips or information you have about these EXCITING summer cruises to Alaska!  I'm sooooooooo ready for this!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ProfCruise said:

I'm booked on the first sailing from Seattle to Alaska on the Miracle on July 29th.  I'm live journaling about my experience from booking all the way through embarkation.  So far I've covered:

So my question is, what would be helpful to know going forward for those of you traveling on a later sailing?  Anything you want me to pay special attention to onboard or as I prepare?

Thanks!  If you want to follow along with my journey you can do so here.  And feel free to share any other tips or information you have about these EXCITING summer cruises to Alaska!  I'm sooooooooo ready for this!

You'll want to put this on the Carnival forum.   Here is the link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/133-carnival-cruise-lines/

Thanks for posting this! I am on the sailing after yours. Will you be adding to your report while on the ship? 
and I am sure you know this but it leaves on the 27th not 29th. I assume just a typo in your first post. 

29 minutes ago, kwbrad said:

Thanks for posting this! I am on the sailing after yours. Will you be adding to your report while on the ship? 
and I am sure you know this but it leaves on the 27th not 29th. I assume just a typo in your first post. 

Oh my gosh, that's like my worst nightmare - showing up for a cruise two days late!  Thanks for the catch!  Yes, I'll be adding to my journal from the ship.  That's awesome that you'll be on the next cruise.  Feel free to send me any specific questions you might have once I board.  Have an awesome cruise!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfCruise said:

We will be on the Sept 14th cruise.  Thanks for doing this.  I can't wait to hear about your trip.  Would you check if they have Dr. Pepper.  Also anything you post, I will love to read about.  Thank you so much for doing this.  Also check and see which side of the ship to see the most.  I hope you have a great time.

1 minute ago, Love being Mimi said:

We will be on the Sept 14th cruise.  Thanks for doing this.  I can't wait to hear about your trip.  Would you check if they have Dr. Pepper.  Also anything you post, I will love to read about.  Thank you so much for doing this.  Also check and see which side of the ship to see the most.  I hope you have a great time.

Will do!  Thanks and I hope you have a great time too!!!

1 minute ago, Love being Mimi said:

Are you going to go see whales

I don't plan on doing any whale watching excursions because I've cruised to Alaska many times before and have done that several times already, but I ALWAYS see lots of whales from the ship (although much further away than you would on an excursion).  I'd definitely recommend doing a whale watching excursion if you haven't done it before.  It's pretty cool to see them close up!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProfCruise said:

I don't plan on doing any whale watching excursions because I've cruised to Alaska many times before and have done that several times already, but I ALWAYS see lots of whales from the ship (although much further away than you would on an excursion).  I'd definitely recommend doing a whale watching excursion if you haven't done it before.  It's pretty cool to see them close up!

Like I said,  I can't wait to read about your trip

1 hour ago, ProfCruise said:

What do you do, or what should I do for excursions?

4 hours ago, ProfCruise said:

•  
  •  
  •  

you can track ships on cruisemapper.com

• Like 1

Wow, I hadn't even thought of that. The White Pass railroad excursion to the Yukon was one of the highlights of the trip. Will it even be possible this summer if Canada keeps the border closed?

I second your plan to self guide seeing the Mendenhall glacier, just walk out and catch the local bus. Decent hike to see the glacier and a nice waterfall.

Book the ship excursion where the boat picks you up off the ship to get a up close and personal viewing of a glacier. About maybe 50 pax on the boat. One of the boats was inoperable for our cruise and a group that booked last received the bad news they were bumped that morning. Real bummer when some only make it to Alaska once.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Love being Mimi said:

I'm on this cruise (September 14) as well and I look forward to everything the OP has to say!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love being Mimi said:

May be we will cross paths

We are doing a whale watching excursion out of Juneau.  Icy Strait Point is still up in the air but I'm having a blast looking for fun things to do.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

Since you are the first cruise, I would presume all of the rooms will be ready when you step on the ship! Everybody should be able to drop off their carryons and head for the food!🎉🧳🍽🍺

Oh, good point - I hadn't thought of that! 🍕  🍰🍲

I recently discovered your blog and love it. I am heading on the Miracle in August and have a couple nice to know questions:

1) How are you proving your vaccinated? In MN they are just giving you a card-will that card be sufficient.

2) Will any non Carnival tour operators still be at the end of the docks looking for tourists to take out or is it a good idea to book everything ahead?

General Alaska ?:

1) I'm up in the air on whether to do whale watching or not. I've done it before in Seattle in the shoulder season-saw maybe 4/5 whales from far away-just tails or backs sticking out of the water. While it was cool I wouldn't necessarily pay to do it again. Would Alaska be different? Thinking of maybe skipping and saving that for a Cabos cruise or something where I hear they're amazing.

2) Crab legs-(I know they are frozen as they aren't in season but this is always a vacation splurge for us). Any recommendations? We were really wishing the unlimited one in Ketchikan was open again.

Sorry for so many ? in one post!

1 hour ago, heidiatmn1 said:

I recently discovered your blog and love it. I am heading on the Miracle in August and have a couple nice to know questions:

1) How are you proving your vaccinated? In MN they are just giving you a card-will that card be sufficient.

2) Will any non Carnival tour operators still be at the end of the docks looking for tourists to take out or is it a good idea to book everything ahead?

General Alaska ?:

1) I'm up in the air on whether to do whale watching or not. I've done it before in Seattle in the shoulder season-saw maybe 4/5 whales from far away-just tails or backs sticking out of the water. While it was cool I wouldn't necessarily pay to do it again. Would Alaska be different? Thinking of maybe skipping and saving that for a Cabos cruise or something where I hear they're amazing.

2) Crab legs-(I know they are frozen as they aren't in season but this is always a vacation splurge for us). Any recommendations? We were really wishing the unlimited one in Ketchikan was open again.

Sorry for so many ? in one post!

Hi there!  How exciting that you'll be on the Miracle in August!  I think that's the perfect time to go.  Hopefully all the kinks will be worked out by then. 

As for your questions, I'll have to get back to you about number 1 and 2.  Carnival hasn't provided any specific information about proof of vaccination, but they promise it's coming.  I'll update as soon as I hear more.  As for #2, the only thing I know so far is that passengers will be allowed to book excursions or explore ports on their own.  I suspect there will be the usual tour operators near the docks eager to book folks as they're disembarking, but I'll let you know for sure as soon as I can.

As for whale watching, I've done it in Seattle and in Alaska and it was much better in Alaska.  We got as close as legally (and ethically) allowed.  I've never seen anything super dramatic like a full breach up close, but I thought it was worth the money to do it a few times.  The scenery in Alaska is so spectacular too.  And you get to see more of it on a whale watching excursion.  On one I did in Juneau, we launched from a beach with dozens and dozens of bald eagles of all ages on it.  That alone made the excursion worth it for me!  I also did a combined whale watch with the Mendenhall Glacier tour, which I would recommend.  I went through this company: Juneau Whale Watch.   Their prices are reasonable and their guides were fun.

For crab legs, I'd recommend Tracy's King Crab Shack in Juneau.  I don't eat crab, so I can't speak to it personally, but my husband does and loved that place.  I have a photo of him eating it here (just scroll down until you see it). 

Thank you for your generous words about my blog.  That made my day.  Happy cruising and let me know if there's anything else I can help out with! 

15 hours ago, Love being Mimi said:

I think we are doing whales in Juneau also.

The smaller tour companies are best for whale watching..ship tours cram a lot of people into the space and operate on tight schedules. . Some good options...book ahead though...are Harv and Marv's Alaska Whale Watching and  Orca Enterprises. I'm sure under circumstances that they would refund if Alaska sailings get canceled. 

In Ketchikan we decided to go to  Misty Fjords on our last trip, did boat tour and it was stunning 

If they let White Pass train go in Skagway be sure to sit on the left side of the car for best scenery. They may let it run but  not let folks off in Canada?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Carolyn said:

The smaller tour companies are best for whale watching..ship tours cram a lot of people into the space and operate on tight schedules. . Some good options...book ahead though...are Harv and Marv's Alaska Whale Watching and  Orca Enterprises. I'm sure under circumstances that they would refund if Alaska sailings get canceled. 

In Ketchikan we decided to go to  Misty Fjords on our last trip, did boat tour and it was stunning 

If they let White Pass train go in Skagway be sure to sit on the left side of the car for best scenery. They may let it run but  not let folks off in Canada?

Thank you so much.  Just can't wait to back on a ship

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Carolyn said:

I'm glad you said this - I have a small boat whale watching excursion booked with Harv & Marv in Juneau and have been looking into Allen Marine's Misty Fjord's boat tour in Ketchikan.  Thanks!

• Like 1