New restart date for all ships announced on Facebook

wesport

Just now, Isklaar said:

Can you confirm that Sojourn is not restarting until January 2022? Just heard this but not direct from SB and possibly misinformation? Can't see on SB website.

New presentation on facebook

Okay so I'm now able to see the details on the UK website.
Ovation to replace Sojourn for Holiday cruise. Unfortunately that's a dealbreaker for us so looks like it will be another year and a half before our next SB cruise. 

4 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Okay so I'm now able to see the details on the UK website.
Ovation to replace Sojourn for Holiday cruise. Unfortunately that's a dealbreaker for us so looks like it will be another year and a half before our next SB cruise. 

Is that because you don't care for the larger ship?  

Did he explain at all whether the cancellations and restart delays were due to not being able to get into more ports around the world, delays re-hiring crew, limited customer demand or other factors?

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

Did he explain at all whether the cancellations and restart delays were due to not being able to get into more ports around the world, delays re-hiring crew, limited customer demand or other factors?

Definitely for Ovation the Australia cancellations are because of our border closures and federal government not giving a clear timeline on when we reopen. New Zealand as well had a meeting yesterday which also indicates that they won't reopen to cruises until late next year as discussed in the below news article.

https://www.odt.co.nz/business/dont-expect-cruise-ships-until-2022-tourism-sector-told

7 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I watched it , and not much was said about the reasons why. Only based on local governments.

3 hours ago, JodiandFrank said:

The Ovation will be doing the Sojourn sailings.

That makes sense; since they aren't running all their ships, they can get more people/revenue with the larger Ovation than the Sojourn. Additionally, the Ovation is already staffed and operational after the summer season in Greece. 

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

That makes sense; since they aren't running all their ships, they can get more people/revenue with the larger Ovation than the Sojourn. Additionally, the Ovation is already staffed and operational after the summer season in Greece. 

My 10/9 sojourn sailing has had my return air removed. Ovation end Greece on 10/9 in Athens . Mine starts in Barcelona 14 nights.really confused.

@wesport  Unfortunately, it seems pretty clear from the latest round of updates that your Sojourn cruise is canceled. With their announcement yesterday, they officially list the Soujourn's first cruise as January 11, 2022 from Los Angeles.

I'm puzzled why they don't plan to add a Europe to US crossing cruise, followed by a Panama canal transit, cruise. The ship will have to travel to Los Angeles from its current location off the south coast of Cyprus, so why not generate revenue doing so? I wonder if it has to do with the challenges involved in re-hiring and vaccinating a crew; perhaps that will beefier to do in the US?

16 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@wesport  Unfortunately, it seems pretty clear from the latest round of updates that your Sojourn cruise is canceled. With their announcement yesterday, they officially list the Soujourn's first cruise as January 11, 2022 from Los Angeles.

I'm puzzled why they don't plan to add a Europe to US crossing cruise, followed by a Panama canal transit, cruise. The ship will have to travel to Los Angeles from its current location off the south coast of Cyprus, so why not generate revenue doing so? I wonder if it has to do with the challenges involved in re-hiring and vaccinating a crew; perhaps that will beefier to do in the US?

Just called Seabourn. Instead of Barcelona to Barcelona sailing the French Riviera and coast of Spain, we will now be on the Ovation starting in Athens and ending in Barcelona. First seven days are a 7 day Greek cruise with the last 7 days mostly Italy and Spain. Not very appealing as compared to the original itinerary.  Will be sent new itinerary July 8 with options.  Oh well, Maybe 2022 will be better. 

@marazul Yes, that's the link I listed above.

What I think raised more questions for me is the future beyond the initial summer/fall Greece and Caribbean cruises. Near the end of the announcement is this line which worries me:

"The upcoming summer 2021 voyages on Seabourn Ovation and Seabourn Odyssey are open to any guests that are fully vaccinated against COVID-19."

(I also received an email from Seabourn Guest Relations today with the same language.)

What I read from that is that guests on these specific cruises must be vaccinated, but there is no such requirement for cruises this winter and beyond. Knowing that the majority of Seabourn customers on CC are in favor of mandatory vaccinations, I think that's a really big deal. This really scares me about future cruising on Seabourn, and I'm reluctant to book a cruise for next year when Seabourn is trying to keep open its options to allow non-vaccinated guests aboard. 

Just received an email from Seabourn. 14 day 10/9 starts in Athens not Barcelona. First 7 days Greek islands not French Riviera. $250pp only for non refundable air fare change. Take it or leave it. No Thanks. Nothing to entice us to keep the reservation. Will cancel tomorrow. Only problem is I have a $2000 fcc that will go into a bank that we may or may not use. Live and learn. 

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

@marazul

What I read from that is that guests on these specific cruises must be vaccinated, but there is no such requirement for cruises this winter and beyond. Knowing that the majority of Seabourn customers on CC are in favor of mandatory vaccinations, I think that's a really big deal. This really scares me about future cruising on Seabourn, and I'm reluctant to book a cruise for next year when Seabourn is trying to keep open its options to allow non-vaccinated guests aboard. 

We're in the same situation.  Now booked on the Ovation out of Miami in November (group of 20), but Seabourn won't commit to a vaccine policy - which is a dealbreaker.  

The vaccine policy is very important to us as well.  I'm just reading all of this and watching to see what happens.  I hate it that SB thinks it has to cater to those who refuse to get vaccinated--or who are vaccine reluctant as it is called.  

• Like 1

I don't think that Seabourn makes the final decision as to vaccine policy.  I think the overlords at Carnival make the final calls along  with the CDC. I agree that manditory vaccination is the way to go. But, in this litiginus era everyone must step lightly...whether right or wrong.

Seabourn can have a different policy than other Carnival brands, just as Royal Caribbean has implemented different policies for Silversea than some of its mass market brands. It doesn't matter to me who makes the decision, but what decision they make for Seabourn.

I wrote to Seabourn guest relations today that while we have booked a Barbados cruise this fall, we will not book any future Seabourn cruises for 2022 and beyond unless and until they state that vaccinations are required for all passengers and crew. By early next year, it's likely that younger children will be able to be vaccinated, so Seabourn (Carnival) has to make a choice whether they intend to allow the minority of people who don't choose to get vaccinated to travel — and if they do, they will lose many of us who have decided we will only travel on a fully-vaccinated ship.

• Like 3

If Seabourn or any other smaller ship luxury cruise line with its loyal customer base or older and wealthier repeat customers were to go away from 100% vaccinated to something/anything else, we would walk too. As I have told my very understanding and sympathetic TA.

In my opinion that would be catastrophic for this segment’s business. They want to fill the ships again, and that increase in the current capacity practice would demand more safety via measures to include 100% vaccinations, not less. 100% now will demand 100% for many, many months and/or for as long as it takes. of course, when countries such as Greece demand 100% the question of where ships will be permitted takes center stage. Then there is us: older and seasoned cruisers on two or more lines. I would wager that Seabourn and/or their competitors would be in a ridiculous position trying to find new customers who are naive enough to pay these prices for a health crap shoot.  Common sense regulation with enforcement or end of business model? No brainer.

Anyway, and as we all know, we must watch this space and respond as appropriate especially if you, like us, have several cruises booked in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Happy and healthy sailing! 

• Like 1

Mr.  SLSD and I spent three hours yesterday (while on a road trip) perusing the latest offerings from both Seabourn and Silversea and talking about booking a cruise for 2022.  I will hold off until I know if Seabourn will be staying with their 100% vaccination protocol.  It is very important to us as well.  We haven't spent the last year and a half protecting our health to let down our guard in the future.  We will be terribly disappointed if SB caves in to those who refuse to be vaccinated.  They will lose us as passengers if that happens.  We will seek out a cruise line that requires vaccinations, even though Seabourn would be our first choice.  We have about ten more years to cruise and are prepared to sail several times a year.  Who will get our business?  

Does anyone know if Viking is requiring vaccinations?  For some reason, I've never had a desire to cruise with them---but who knows what will happen in the future.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1