LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

In Heimaey today.  Did the Wildlife boat trip today -- not the RIB boat.   If it is raining or going to rain, raingear is a must, including waterproof pants.  The best view is outside on the deck.  The seats are metal and hold the cold and the wet.  Keeping cameras dry is also an issue. Don't forget wind chill factor on deck.  

Guide Telma was very good.  Lots of stories and good information.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VI_Lounger said:

Well, our reward for getting covered in mist (I call it rain but it was very light so I'll accept their description of mist) was seeing puffins on our RIB tour today! Our guide said puffins love the foggy mist and if it was sunny, they'd go out to sea so we were then grateful for our misty weather.  The tour was a blast and our guide Bjorn was excellent. We also had a fun captain who played great music and gave us a wild ride. Our guide told us the baby puffins are left behind when the parents leave in late August or early September and they come into town because of the street light that get their attention, so they rescue thousands of them each year. We had on full body rain gear so wear a lighter jacket as mine wouldn't fit under the suit so I left it in their storage room. I was plenty warm with just a long sleeve shirt under their suit. So another tour I'd highly recommend! 

Thanks for this review. I am wondering how rough the ride is. I have a bad back, but still hope to do it. Thanks! Lynne

25 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Where was it reported. That’s our flight and nothing on delta app or website

32 minutes ago, readsalot said:

Thanks for this review. I am wondering how rough the ride is. I have a bad back, but still hope to do it. Thanks! Lynne

The hardest part was swinging your legs over the seats. It's like getting on a small pony. I don't have a bad back but never felt any hard slams and we had moderate seas. They do warn about having back issues for this excursion though but didn't experience anything. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

In Heimaey today.  Did the Wildlife boat trip today -- not the RIB boat.   If it is raining or going to rain, raingear is a must, including waterproof pants.  The best view is outside on the deck.  The seats are metal and hold the cold and the wet.  Keeping cameras dry is also an issue. Don't forget wind chill factor on deck.  

Guide Telma was very good.  Lots of stories and good information.  

We're bringing a couple of dry bags for electronics.  We're doing kayaking and zodiac tours. 

5L https://amzn.to/3el1QJ1

2L https://amzn.to/2T5X6iY

28 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

On the included and optional excursions, were you able to leave a bag in the coach.  I assume you always returned back to the same bus after each walk or site exploration.

Yes, I did this almost every day.  Very handy with all those layers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VI_Lounger said:

The hardest part was swinging your legs over the seats. It's like getting on a small pony. I don't have a bad back but never felt any hard slams and we had moderate seas. They do warn about having back issues for this excursion though but didn't experience anything. 

I warn you.  The excursions manager who did the port and excursion talks, was the voice of doom and gloom.  Every single time she described one of our excursions, I was convinced I couldn’t do it,  yet every one was easy!  Hopefully she has lightened up for this second cruise, and tomorrow the third.  Don’t be talked/ scared out of something you really want to do unless you know, yourself, that you can’t do it.

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, VI_Lounger said:

Well, our reward for getting covered in mist (I call it rain but it was very light so I'll accept their description of mist) was seeing puffins on our RIB tour today! Our guide said puffins love the foggy mist and if it was sunny, they'd go out to sea so we were then grateful for our misty weather.  The tour was a blast and our guide Bjorn was excellent. We also had a fun captain who played great music and gave us a wild ride. Our guide told us the baby puffins are left behind when the parents leave in late August or early September and they come into town because of the street light that get their attention, so they rescue thousands of them each year. We had on full body rain gear so wear a lighter jacket as mine wouldn't fit under the suit so I left it in their storage room. I was plenty warm with just a long sleeve shirt under their suit. So another tour I'd highly recommend! 

We're booked for the RIB tour in August.  Just want to confirm they provide rain pants as well as the jacket?  trying to decide if we need to invest in rain pants.  thanks!

13 minutes ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

We're booked for the RIB tour in August.  Just want to confirm they provide rain pants as well as the jacket?  trying to decide if we need to invest in rain pants.  thanks!

Yes, it's a full one piece body suit and includes a hood. Like a snowmobile suit. I brought rain pants just to be safe for other tours, though, but luckily didn't need them. Hope this helps! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Where was it reported. That’s our flight and nothing on delta app or website

Flightradar24 is reporting a 10:43 pm delayed departure from BOS. Delta site says on-time departure.

Yesterday's (07/08/2021) DL266 departed at 12:03 am instead of 10:25 pm. Arrival was at 08:34 am KEF.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 1

Would posters please reference what they are responding to? I appreciate all the posts but I am having trouble figuring out which ports and shore excursions people are talking about. 

I looked at Marine Traffic this afternoon and was surprised to see that Jupiter took a little trip.  She spent the day anchored off the Reykjanes peninsula, and had a couple tender boats out moving around.  Now she is headed back to Reykjavik.  As I future Jupiter cruiser, I'm started to get really excited!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

Awful

This is not accurate information.  DL 266 BOS-KEF is scheduled to depart at 10:25 barring any weather delays.  Delays and cancellations of connecting flights might have caused the problem.  The weather in the northeast has been far from ideal today.  As for information from Viking Air it has not been the most accurate in our dealings with them.  Check with your carrier via their websites for the latest information.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SkystheLimit said:

This is not accurate information.  DL 266 BOS-KEF is scheduled to depart at 10:25 barring any weather delays.  Delays and cancellations of connecting flights might have caused the problem.  The weather in the northeast has been far from ideal today.  As for information from Viking Air it has not been the most accurate in our dealings with them.  Check with your carrier via their websites for the latest information.

According to flightaware the incoming flight (Delta 1038) was just over an hour delayed leaving ATL, but should be arriving in BOS at 9:36.  Hopefully that'll be enough time to get #266 to KEF out on time.

Thursday's flight Delta # 266 left BOS about 1.5 hours late but was not cancelled.  My sense is that flights on the east coast have been affected by Elsa.  

Edited by ejc14

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Flightradar24 is reporting a 10:43 pm delayed departure from BOS. Delta site says on-time departure.

Yesterday's (07/08/2021) DL266 departed at 12:03 am instead of 10:25 pm. Arrival was at 08:34 am KEF.

Yeah, the gate agent here can’t figure out the discrepancy. The inbound flight is supposed to land 5 min after boarding is said to begin on the app.