Carnival to add 2 new ships in 2023

jimbo5544

1 hour ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

The LNG powered ship to Galveston makes perfect sense given all the LNG in the area (Freeport is close).  They could move the Vista to New Orleans which now has two Conquest class ships (the Dream used to homeport there) or use one of the ships for continual Carnival Journey type voyages.  You have to admit, for us Gulf area cruisers, the port selection is getting stale on 7 day trips. 

How about we take John Heald up on his view to put the ship in Cleveland and we can name it the Edmond Fitzgerald? (Hopefully without the wreck).

Better shot for Oddessy OTS, she has been turned down by half the free world

• Like 1

BTW, the expansion of Carnival line by two ships and the shrinking of other Carnival Corporation divisions by two ships makes you wonder about the future of those other lines.  Will they ultimately be folded into other lines at Carnival as part of a re-organization ?

They have done this before, just good business sense.  It is a huge leap to think they are going lights out on any line with pent up demand.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 6:19 PM, lizord said:

I don't think this has been brought up in this thread but what happens to the Magica's funnel? Do they build a new CCL Funnel on top? They could do a retro look and just repaint it.  It would be exciting to see CCL bring back the older taller funnels, which I prefer, compared to the newer fatter ones on the dream/vista classCarnival Horizon of the coast of Grand Turk.jpgCarnival Conquest 3.jpgCarnival_Cruise_Line_Fleet_1970s.png

Heald said in his post that it would be getting a signature Carnival funnel. 

BTW, the expansion of Carnival line by two ships and the shrinking of other Carnival Corporation divisions by two ships makes you wonder about the future of those other lines.  Will they ultimately be folded into other lines at Carnival as part of a re-organization ?

No.

AiDA has one Excellence-class ship delivered and one on the way (AIDAnova and AIDAcosma). It's a German-centric brand, something Royal or Norwegian can never claim to be. That said, they probably didn't need to have more of the XL ships than Carnival, which serves a much larger market in North America.

Costa will still have two XL ships (Smeralda, already delivered, and Toscana on the way), and took delivery of two Vista-class ships in 2019-2020. While Costa is effectively worldwide in its own service area, it is a very Italian-centric brand. Costa has aggressively shed older tonnage even pre-Covid (including neoRiviera, which is now AIDAmira).

Carnival could have killed off P&O Australia a long time ago, but so far they haven't - and P&O Aus goes head-to-head with Carnival in Australia.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So when Magica goes through dry dock and re-emerges the Carnival (Sun-something) any idea if they’ll do a European season? I’m looking forward to a European cruise but don’t want to book the Pride if there is a chance they will release a “new” ship with some different itineraries.  

22 minutes ago, archie23 said:

So when Magica goes through dry dock and re-emerges the Carnival (Sun-something) any idea if they’ll do a European season? I’m looking forward to a European cruise but don’t want to book the Pride if there is a chance they will release a “new” ship with some different itineraries.  

If you're looking for European with different itineraries,  you need to take the Carnival blinders off and choose one of their competitors.

Within the Carnival family, P&O and Costa would be choices and outside the corporation  I would look at MSC.  The P&O Iona is their newest ship, which is based on the same platform as the Mardi Gras.  Edit...forgot about Aida, another Carnival Corp line based in Germany.

Edited by SNJCruisers

10 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

If you're looking for European with different itineraries,  you need to take the Carnival blinders off and choose one of their competitors.

Within the Carnival family, P&O and Costa would be choices and outside the corporation  I would look at MSC.  The P&O Iona is their newest ship, which is based on the same platform as the Mardi Gras.  Edit...forgot about Aida, another Carnival Corp line based in Germany.

Strange you would recommend cruiselines that cater to certain European countries, AIDA is meant for Germans. Why not Royal, Princess, NCL? I think the OP is concerned about the age and condition of the Pride and less about the actual itineraries.

Edited by kwokpot

• 3 months later...

I am thinking Magica will slide into the 4/5/5 slot at Port Canaveral. When Carnival released the new schedules from May 2023 until April 2024 they didn't release anything for Elation. My thoughts are so they don't have to transfer to many cruisers over to a new ship when they announce the change. The only other ship without a schedule all the way through that period is Vista, which I am assuming the new LNG ship will replace. Vista would then move to Canaveral to replace the 6/8 day trips Magic was doing since she is moving to Miami to do the 6/8 trips Freedom was doing when she starts her 5/9 schedule. The only thing I am not sure about is where they are moving Elation. Perhaps to San Juan to restart the 7 day that Fascination was doing?