Carnival to add 2 new ships in 2023

jimbo5544

41 minutes ago, CruzinKristin said:

Perhaps with the addition of these new ships, we will begin to see sailings out of San Juan again?   A girl can dream.  I miss that itinerary.

As do I, be nice to have a shio with balconies doing there.

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I'll toss out New Orleans as an alternative to Texas or Florida. Carnival needs to diversify more.

They can have one of our Dream class ships in return.

I wonder how much the ships have to do with the physical ports. 2 Dream class in Galveston, 2 Conquest class in NOLA, 2 Spirit class in Baltimore...

1 hour ago, CruzinKristin said:

Perhaps with the addition of these new ships, we will begin to see sailings out of San Juan again?   A girl can dream.  I miss that itinerary.

Only did the Destiny out of SJ years ago but it was great being able to visit Aruba etc. for the first time. Most of the cruises were just 7 days back then, too short to get to Aruba from Miami.

6 minutes ago, sailingships said:

I wonder when CCL will order more sister ships for the MG and Celebration. Is there one due for 2024?

I suspect the transfer of the new Excel class from AIDA is a stop gap, since it is due in 2023, and it will be another year before we hear about anything beyond that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCBarker said:

2 Spirit class in Baltimore...

I'm pretty sure Spirit is the biggest class Baltimore can have due to the tight clearance between the funnel and the bridges leaving the harbor

bs-md-carnival-cruise-return-20150329.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

Yeah, I've often wondered if NOLA was the same. Doubt it. They probably just have an excess of conquest class.

New Orleans had a Dream class until it was poached. But Carnival really needs to spread capacity out across more states to mitigate risk.

So Carnival sold 4 Fantasy class ships (3 scrapped, 1 sold for another line) and then is returning with 3 Excel Class ships and 1 Destiny era ship. 

Anyone have a breakdown on how this affects Carnival's overall passenger capacity?  It seems like a dramatic increase!

I also wonder if they will expand back to some of the ports that they've temporarily abandon, as it seems like they are positioned well to ramp up quickly over the next few years. 

58 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

So Carnival sold 4 Fantasy class ships (3 scrapped, 1 sold for another line) and then is returning with 3 Excel Class ships and 1 Destiny era ship. 

Anyone have a breakdown on how this affects Carnival's overall passenger capacity?  It seems like a dramatic increase!

I also wonder if they will expand back to some of the ports that they've temporarily abandon, as it seems like they are positioned well to ramp up quickly over the next few years. 

4 Fantasy Class ships equals about 8,224 capacity 

3 Mardi Gras Class equals about 15,846 capacity 

1 Costa Magica (Sunshine Class) equals 2,985 capacity 

Rough estimates, but this I suppose allows them to expand capacity while cutting out old outdated tonnage, I suspect Ecstasy and Sensation will be sold around 2024-2025, or they want to expand to other ports as you mentioned. 

36 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Who knows by 2023 if Carnival will sell off another Fantasy-class ship.

Ecstasy will be 32 and Sensation 30 by then so highly possible.

• Thanks 1

Will this allow Carnival to shed the two remaining pre-1998 Fantasy class ships? Elation could replace Ecstasy in Jacksonville. Miracle could be replaced by a larger ship out on the West Coast, and then take Sensation's spot in Mobile (or take over for Paradise, and Paradise to Mobile). No one loses a chair that way. Every ship would then be less than 26 years old in 2023.

I don't see them venturing to other ports. They're not increasing the number of ships, just capacity. As a matter of fact, the 4 they ditched won't be replaced for a couple of years it looks like. Just my guess.

2 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Will this allow Carnival to shed the two remaining pre-1998 Fantasy class ships? Elation could replace Ecstasy in Jacksonville. Miracle could be replaced by a larger ship out on the West Coast, and then take Sensation's spot in Mobile (or take over for Paradise, and Paradise to Mobile). No one loses a chair that way. Every ship would then be less than 26 years old in 2023.

It certainly appears that Carnival is moving away from the smaller ships in favor of larger, more revenue producing ships.  It's hard to imagine them spending a lot of money building new smaller ships.  This may not bode well for ports that can only handle smaller ships for whatever reason.

I think they'll hold on to these four remaining ships for a good 4-5 more years. Ecstasy & Sensation will be next to go.

By 2025 the ships will be:

Ecstasy: 34 years old

Sensation: 32 years old

Elation: 27 years old

Paradise: 27 years old

54 minutes ago, Raxter54 said:

Watched this video of the Costa Magica. Looks pretty much like any other Carnival ship. Is this dry dock/conversion rather extensive, or mostly cosmetic?

If you didn't tell me this was a Costa ship I would swear that it was Carnival. There's virtually nothing different about the ship to distinguish it from a Carnival ship. Even the cabin furnishing are the same!

19 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

If you didn't tell me this was a Costa ship I would swear that it was Carnival. There's virtually nothing different about the ship to distinguish it from a Carnival ship. Even the cabin furnishing are the same!

The Joe Farcus touch!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruzinKristin said:

My first cruise on the Jubilee, long ago.

Best itinerary I could ask for. A new island every morning. Only the Jounrneys cruise come close these days.

1 hour ago, Raxter54 said:

Watched this video of the Costa Magica. Looks pretty much like any other Carnival ship. Is this dry dock/conversion rather extensive, or mostly cosmetic?

I'd expect them the do the equivalent of a Sunrise conversion on her and for her duty to end up being the 5-5-4 ship somewhere.  That said, I'd love her to go to San Juan!  

• Like 1

The majority of the Costa fleet were build from Carnival molds.

Costa Atlanitca & Mediterranea - Spirit-class(both sold to Carnival China)

Costa Fortuna & Magica - Destiny/Triumph class

Costa Luminosa, Venezia, Firenze & Deliziousa - Vista-class

Costa Diadema - Dream-class