Apex - 6/26/21 as live as possible 😃

PTCruizer

I wanted to get a thread started for the second Apex sailing. Many thanks to all the maiden voyagers who contributed to the June 19th thread. Your information was very helpful and hopefully I can provide some information for the next groups of Apex(ers). Flight from JFK was uneventful and going through immigration in Athens was quick and easy. They did ask to see the PLF QR code that we received around 5:00pm eastern time the night before.  If they looked at our Vax cards that were tucked into our passports I’d be surprised. 

Stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel and it was great. Called a cab on the Uber App and we’re having cappuccino while we await our ride  

More to follow.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and I’m looking forward to hearing about it. One thing I would be interested to know is whether there are any/many shaded areas on the pool deck. There doesn’t seem to be as much capacity for shade as on the Solstice class ships but I hope I’m wrong on that.

We showed up at the pier at 1:00 for our 1:30 appointment. Checkin was smooth. First thing we did was the nasal swab Covid test. Had results in about 15 minutes. They checked our passports and express passes a few times and then after the obligatory boarding photo we were onboard for the first time in 18 months. All told, 30 minutes from arrival to board. The crew are so very happy to see guests, it really shows. Here is a picture from the checkin tent. 

21759B79-3FD1-4FB0-8096-294075711071.jpeg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, PTCruizer said:

Stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel and it was great. Called a cab on the Uber App and we’re having cappuccino while we await our ride  

Would you elaborate a little about the Uber App/taxi situation, please. Any pointers or tips are appreciated. 

I have used Uber in several countries before(including India where you can pay cash), but had read about Greece initially canceling Uber usage.  I had planned to use Uber to get from the airport to Grand Hyatt, and then Grand to the port.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Would you elaborate a little about the Uber App/taxi situation, please. Any pointers or tips are appreciated. 

I have used Uber in several countries before(including India where you can pay cash), but had read about Greece initially canceling Uber usage.  I had planned to use Uber to get from the airport to Grand Hyatt, and then Grand to the port.  

We are in the Grand Hyatt after the cruise - please let us know what it is like!  And following your Uber questions too - just reactivated my account in readiness! 

• Like 1

So the Uber app essentially schedules a cab. I got a notification on the app when the driver was on the way and he was there right on time. I paid through the app and the cost from our hotel was 12€. I did notice some small (3 and 8 Euro) holds on my credit card from when I scheduled the ride. I’ll have to check to see if they drop off. Overall, I like that the service billed to my Uber account and it didn’t feel like I just grabbed a random cab. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PTCruizer said:

So the Uber app essentially schedules a cab. I got a notification on the app when the driver was on the way and he was there right on time. I paid through the app and the cost from our hotel was 12€. I did notice some small (3 and 8 Euro) holds on my credit card from when I scheduled the ride. I’ll have to check to see if they drop off. Overall, I like that the service billed to my Uber account and it didn’t feel like I just grabbed a random cab. 

This is great to know 👍

Do you specify a destination and does the Uber app give you an estimated cost up front?

Edited by CalTexCruiser
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, PTCruizer said:

Thank you.  This is super helpful to know.   Now to convince my travel friend that Uber really will be okay.  

17 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

This is great to know 👍

Do you specify a destination and does the Uber app give you an estimated cost up front?

That is generally how Uber works.  I did a dummy car request this week for from airport to my hotel, and it showed me cost.  I do this when trying to gauge if it is peak pricing or regular pricing (here in a metro US location).  I've found Uber in various countries to be fairly easy to use. It also solves the whole "taking a tourist via the scenic route" too since the map shows exactly how you are traveling, while keeping the cost reasonable. YMMV

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

That is generally how Uber works.  I did a dummy car request this week for from airport to my hotel, and it showed me cost.  I do this when trying to gauge if it is peak pricing or regular pricing (here in a metro US location).  I've found Uber in various countries to be fairly easy to use. It also solves the whole "taking a tourist via the scenic route" too since the map shows exactly how you are traveling, while keeping the cost reasonable. YMMV

I was wondering whether Uber did the same for hailing a regular taxi in Athens...that seems a bit out of the ordinary from the way Uber usually works.  I suppose they are just swapping out private cars with taxis in Greece ? 

1 minute ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I was wondering whether Uber did the same for hailing a regular taxi in Athens...that seems a bit out of the ordinary from the way Uber usually works.  I suppose they are just swapping out private cars with taxis in Greece ? 

Pretty much.  From my cursory google search last night, at one point Uber was banned in Greece, and then they decided it could be used to hail a taxi. I like the concept b/c I don't have to download the local taxi app.