Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

On Princess, any smart phone will do, it all runs on their proprietary system.  I had no issues with my dopey Tracfone doing lots of stuff, but doing 'cruise stuff' like making dining plans, was hit or miss.  

That’s fine for the app I had thought the OP was referring to not being able to make calls from outside the US

Question: Our cruise is Friday. We are set. Ocean Ready says Green Lane. Medallions received. Yet, while my lane on the boarding pass says "Proceed to Green lane" my husband's says Proceed to Blue Lane. One thing is that for his medallion it says pick up at Port. However, we have both of our medallions. They were delivered earlier this week. Help!! I did call Princess. The inept rep told me that it says Green Lane and to reboot the app. Which we did and no change. Advice? Answers? Thanks everyone!

55 minutes ago, Barbara B said:

Question: Our cruise is Friday. We are set. Ocean Ready says Green Lane. Medallions received. Yet, while my lane on the boarding pass says "Proceed to Green lane" my husband's says Proceed to Blue Lane. One thing is that for his medallion it says pick up at Port. However, we have both of our medallions. They were delivered earlier this week. Help!! I did call Princess. The inept rep told me that it says Green Lane and to reboot the app. Which we did and no change. Advice? Answers? Thanks everyone!

Lanes mean nothing if you both have your medallions just proceed to check in

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pinballs83 said:

Double check he has all his information entered into the app. Pretty sure it sends you to the blue lane if they still need a picture, passport information, and etc. 

Or if no credit card has been associated for onboard charges - that gets us every time.  

I have to say though - calling the customer service rep “inept” seems a bit harsh.  It seems likely that the rep is correct, since the app only says your husband needs to pick up the medallion that he’s already received.  Maybe the app data didn’t synch up the next day as he expected.  Maybe there was some other reason you’re insulting him.  Either way, it doesn’t (from the info you posted) really seem necessary.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1498sg said:

Husbands phone won’t download the app would like to upgrade his phone what’s the minimum android I need to get?

I know Samsung.  If they are still offering S10's at a bargain, and you don't want to spend much, that one will work.  Or anything newer.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 1498sg said:

Husbands phone won’t download the app would like to upgrade his phone what’s the minimum android I need to get?

You need at least Android 8 or higher OS. (No idea what version of iOS is needed.) I just purchased an unlocked Samsung S10e for my wife for less than $200. I moved all her apps and such over to the new phone (I used Samsung Smart Switch which worked great even though her old phone was not a Samsung) and then pulled the SIM card from the old phone and put it in the new phone. Voila! (I did go onto the Verizon site and verify the phone had been changed but that wasn't difficult either.)

NOTE: Because the phone was unlocked it was a crap shoot as to what it would show when first booted without the SIM card being transferred over. It booted up all pink and showing T-Mobile but unlocked phones can pair with multiple services. Once I had moved all the apps and contacts, etc. to the phone I shut it down and transferred the SIM card over. When I booted it again it came up as Verizon which is the service we have.) I bought the phone through THIS VENDOR on eBay. They also have a "regular" site but do a ton of business on eBay. They have over 20 years of selling phones with about a bazillion positive feedback rating. They also have a no hassle return policy.

• Thanks 1

But don't get a  new phone just to run medallion ... it may or may not work.  If the medallion doesn't work today, it might work tomorrow ... or not.  I lost my mind trying to make it work for a cruise last Christmas.  From my experience, and what I've gathered from reading this thread is that most of the issues occur before boarding.  You can do almost everything on a computer if the phone app is not cooperating.  Much of the stuff 'required' on the phone app, like green lines for boarding and booking dining,  turns out not to be required at all.  

• Like 2

On my recent April cruise, months before the cruise, I was able to view "Port Guides" on my Medallion app.  I have 2 cruises coming up in early Sept., and want to see the port guides for planning purpose. I went to the Port Guide section, saw all the ports listed, but when I clicked on the arrow next to the port I want to see the port guide, nothing happened.  I tried it on all the ports of my 2 cruises.

Anyone knows how long before the cruise starts that we will be able to see the Port Guides on the app?  Thank you.  

• Like 1

RE: JSN55 & the reply regarding a phone. Thanks for mentioning that. I have no desire to do anything with a phone on a cruise, and plan on only using the medallion to open my cabin door, so glad to know that it really isn't necessary. I'll just board and do things the easy way and not get stressed out. Considering the confusion surrounding this as seen in multiple posts... wonder if Princess  is going to continue to keep it as it seems to be fraught with issues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

It still boggles me that so many people seem to have major issues with the app. It works pretty well for me.

It's been mentioned many times that some people have no issue with medallion at all, including a good friend of mine.  Some of us are just not intuitive about technology, and we expect a cruiseline to set up a system that works for MOST pax, not just a few.  I'm a whiz on a computer, for example, but I certainly wasn't the first few years.  Many of us use our phones sporadically, so it will take us forever to become proficient.  Therefore, it falls to the travel provider to provide a good product, and/or alternatives.  Nobody wants to be dictated to, forced to use a system that may or may not work, a system that has been flawed for YEARS.  Some of us feel that the paying customer deserves decent customer service.  So I'm giving my business to cruiselines who are interested in me as a customer.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

On my recent April cruise, months before the cruise, I was able to view "Port Guides" on my Medallion app.  I have 2 cruises coming up in early Sept., and want to see the port guides for planning purpose. I went to the Port Guide section, saw all the ports listed, but when I clicked on the arrow next to the port I want to see the port guide, nothing happened.  I tried it on all the ports of my 2 cruises.

Anyone knows how long before the cruise starts that we will be able to see the Port Guides on the app?  Thank you.  

The port guides on Medallion and also on any paper copies that you may get from Princess are less than useless.  Don't bother.

With regard to 659SCF's post about only using the Medallion only to open your door, I would bet that you can go to guest services and demand a cruise card.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The port guides on Medallion and also on any paper copies that you may get from Princess are less than useless.  Don't bother.

With regard to 659SCF's post about only using the Medallion only to open your door, I would bet that you can go to guest services and demand a cruise card.

DON

Yes....I've heard that, too. Some prefer the guest cards over the Medallions and they make them available.

14 hours ago, jsn55 said:

It's been mentioned many times that some people have no issue with medallion at all, including a good friend of mine.  Some of us are just not intuitive about technology, and we expect a cruiseline to set up a system that works for MOST pax, not just a few.  I'm a whiz on a computer, for example, but I certainly wasn't the first few years.  Many of us use our phones sporadically, so it will take us forever to become proficient.  Therefore, it falls to the travel provider to provide a good product, and/or alternatives.  Nobody wants to be dictated to, forced to use a system that may or may not work, a system that has been flawed for YEARS.  Some of us feel that the paying customer deserves decent customer service.  So I'm giving my business to cruiselines who are interested in me as a customer.  

The medallion is not what you are talking about it is a round cruise card. The app is what you are referring to and there is little or no reason to even use it on a cruise. I only use it to look at todays menus and check my folio all of which can be accessed without a phone

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, memoak said:

The medallion is not what you are talking about it is a round cruise card. The app is what you are referring to and there is little or no reason to even use it on a cruise. I only use it to look at todays menus and check my folio all of which can be accessed without a phone

While what you say is true, those guests who expect to partake in the full App experience ought to be able to rely on software that was first released over two years ago.  I do realize that the on-board functions have generally been more reliable than the pre-cruise functions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Well, sure, but what if I want to do some of the things that Princess says I can do with the app ... like becoming Ocean Ready and CHECKING in?  It sounded like so much fun to be able to order a drink and have it delivered ... like one guy did in the middle of the Captain's Wife's presentation at 10am?!  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Well, sure, but what if I want to do some of the things that Princess says I can do with the app ... like becoming Ocean Ready and CHECKING in?  It sounded like so much fun to be able to order a drink and have it delivered ... like one guy did in the middle of the Captain's Wife's presentation at 10am?!  

My friend who does not even have a smartphone was able to become ocean ready and check in and order his medallion all on the web version. As far as ordering drinks on the app I find it not cool to watch servers wandering around the piazza, buffet or poolside calling out and looking for the person that ordered it and then wandered away.  Likewise people who ordered via the app looking all over for their server

• Like 2

15 hours ago, memoak said:

My friend who does not even have a smartphone was able to become ocean ready and check in and order his medallion all on the web version. As far as ordering drinks on the app I find it not cool to watch servers wandering around the piazza, buffet or poolside calling out and looking for the person that ordered it and then wandered away.  Likewise people who ordered via the app looking all over for their server

When I'm out on deck especially near the pool, I always watch for the server as I know it's very, very hard if not impossible at times for them to find the "medallion match" of who placed the order.

I bet when they finally put the chip in our heads then all of this will work much better and everything will be perfect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

When I'm out on deck especially near the pool, I always watch for the server as I know it's very, very hard if not impossible at times for them to find the "medallion match" of who placed the order.

I bet when they finally put the chip in our heads then all of this will work much better and everything will be perfect.

That is why I just walk up to a bar and order a drink

• Like 3