The Daily for Thursday Jul 01, 2021

richwmn

31 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

@kazuand @bennybear,  my peppers just turned into tomatoes!  🤣 😂

My brother collects seeds and he sent me some from his favorite peppers.  Those things germinated like crazy and are healthy as oxen...but the shape and color kept seeming really weird to me.  Well, they're round and red now.  And plenty sweet!  🤷‍♀️

Gardening is not for the faint of heart.

LOL 😂 Brenda and I are growing the hot ones.  Heaven forbid ours turn into sweet ones 😉. DH will kill me 😱 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

LOL 😂 Brenda and I are growing the hot ones.  Heaven forbid ours turn into sweet ones 😉. DH will kill me 😱 

Yours will be just fine.  My brother got his seeds mixed up. These are literally tomatoes.  It's so funny, because all season long I've been texting him pictures of their progress and calling him Mr. Burpee because his seeds had such a high germination rate.   He said to be sure to eat them green because they're super hot when they turn red.   I kept picking and tasting and wondering what was wrong.   Sometimes I'm very slow.  🙃 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I am surprised there have been no photos of Belem yet.  Belem is situated pretty far up the Guama River and ships must actually anchor pretty far downstream from Icoracy, about 10 miles downstream.  On February 6, 2015 MS Maasdam anchored off Icoracy.  Instead of using our own tenders Amazon system river boats were used to take us ashore.

tender.jpg

We could just barely see the Belem Skyline from the ship:

belem.jpg

I just noted a couple of the sights of Belem.  First was the Presepio, dating from 1616:

presepio1.jpg

There was a panoramic view from the Presepio:

presepio1.jpg

We also visited the Basilica of our Lady of Nazareth:

basicila.jpg

On the way back we got a nice view of our BHB:

maasbelem.jpg

Roy

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

What a nightmare!    And this is supposed to be one of the premier rehab facilities?  Between this and the fall that's very hard to believe.

Roy

It really is hard to believe. My son explained that the rehab facility gets a lump sum payment from Medicare based on how long Medicare thinks you will need. If you actually stay the full amount of time they estimate, Medicare doesn’t pay anymore. But, if they send you on your way, and get someone new, they get another lump sum payment. It is a business. There were no beds today for our first place sub acute and the admissions director advised us to appeal the decision Kessler has made which we will do tomorrow and then try again next week to find a bed where we want. Most of the nurses, therapists, and doctors have been great. It’s just the case management that is giving us a hard time. It was so bad yesterday, that the managements supervisor took over today. We didn’t need this extra stress, that is for sure.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

@kazuand @bennybear,  my peppers just turned into tomatoes!  🤣 😂

My brother collects seeds and he sent me some from his favorite peppers.  Those things germinated like crazy and are healthy as oxen...but the shape and color kept seeming really weird to me.  Well, they're round and red now.  And plenty sweet!  🤷‍♀️

Gardening is not for the faint of heart.

Giggles!    

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

It really is hard to believe. My son explained that the rehab facility gets a lump sum payment from Medicare based on how long Medicare thinks you will need. If you actually stay the full amount of time they estimate, Medicare doesn’t pay anymore. But, if they send you on your way, and get someone new, they get another lump sum payment. It is a business. There were no beds today for our first place sub acute and the admissions director advised us to appeal the decision Kessler has made which we will do tomorrow and then try again next week to find a bed where we want. Most of the nurses, therapists, and doctors have been great. It’s just the case management that is giving us a hard time. It was so bad yesterday, that the managements supervisor took over today. We didn’t need this extra stress, that is for sure.

I am so sorry you have this to deal with!   Praying it resolves soon for you!

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, bobpatj said:

Happy Canada Day!

We have had Belem on two BHBs itineraries.  The first was on Prinsendam in January, 2011.  We took a HAL tour of the Giant market and away from the city, a tour of the Zoobotanical Park.  Belem is a 30 minute bus ride from the port.

We returned on Maasdam in February, 2015.  This time we took a 5 hour HAL Amazon River System Adventure by Riverboat tour including a 45 minute walk through the Jungle, so we didn’t get into Belem this time.

I think we must have been on the same cruise, Maasdam to Rio, although I only did the first half to Rio.

Roy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Oh...so stressful.  Take a deep breath and have confidence that things will fall into place.  We've been through that with relatives and eventually things sort out.  Hold a good thought.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Ah, Utilization Review at its worst. Sorry to hear that. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

A number of years ago we stopped at a little gelato place on Granville Island in Vancouver where they had 99 flavours, including some strange ones.  DH decided I should step out of my comfort zone and try durian, so I figured, why not?  I had one bite (and a rather large one, at that!) and DH asked me what it was like.  I told him I had to finish dragging my tongue across the establishment's floor to get the taste out of my mouth, before I could tell him.  He tried it and said it was like a combination of rotten strawberries and a full baby diaper left out in the sun.  I'm not sure how he came about that last one, but he was pretty accurate.  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

LOL,

A coworker where I used to work had a coworker bring in some durian and put it in the refrigerator for fellow staff to enjoy. She said the Medical Director got “wind” of it, didn’t recognize it and that it was either a gas leak or chemical leak and had the building inspected. The individual who had brought it, snuck it out before it was found. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1