Celebrity or NCL

ShrinkinTexas

Family with kids ranging 9-14 years old along and grandparent (70 ish).  Celebrity Millennium or NCL Jewel?  My is a doctor and we like nice things and luxury when we travel but also want our kids to have a good time.  Which would you suggest?

2 hours ago, ShrinkinTexas said:

Family with kids ranging 9-14 years old along and grandparent (70 ish).  Celebrity Millennium or NCL Jewel?  My is a doctor and we like nice things and luxury when we travel but also want our kids to have a good time.  Which would you suggest?

Neither cruise line is considered as luxury, but Celebrity is definitely more upscale than NCL.

However, I'll suggest that Alaska is more about the scenery and wildlife, than the cruise ship, so I would also consider what you want to see in Alaska and which itinerary meets your needs. You will find lots of threads on the Alaska Board to assist in identifying priorities and must sees in Alaska.

The Celebrity kids club is about activities such as scavenger hunts, talent shows, etc. There is a game room aboard the Millennium. NCL's ships may have more external amenities that kids might enjoy, though a water slide might be a tad cold for an Alaska cruise.

Our 1st cruise was on the NCL Pearl to Alaska which had a bowling alley. Our 2nd was on the Celebrity Eclipse and, for us, that became our line of choice due to the service, ship decor, and, yes, even the entertainment (the Pearl repeated its Neil Diamond impersonator on our 7 day itinerary).

I am going to suggest you get a book that talks about the ports and the glaciers and then choose your itinerary based on that. I would not choose based on ship. Alaska is about the ports, glaciers, scenery. Also look at the time in port.

Look at Alaska by Cruiseship by Anne Vipond or other books.

15 hours ago, ShrinkinTexas said:

My is a doctor and we like nice things and luxury when we travel

When we did our family cruise to Alaska, we did so with very discerning and well traveled family members, 3 which are doctors as well. We also traveled with children ranging in ages between 2 and 15 years old. 

We chose Holland America over NCL in part because they wanted a bit more upscale experience and also because we wanted an itinerary that visited Glacier Bay, and Holland America met those requirements. 

We had an absolutely fantastic time, and the kids were never bored. It was such a port intensive itinerary, and we had so much to do, that the kids barely used the kids club. Adults were very satisfied with the experience onboard. 

As others have mentioned before, Alaska is all about the itinerary more than the ship. So I would look at that first and then narrow things down from there. There will be tons of activities ashore that will be wonderful for kids. Family members in my group did everything from helicopter rides, dog sledding on a glacier, to kayaking and flight seeing over the fjords. Yes, there are cruise lines out there that will offer more for kids onboard in terms of activities and kids clubs, but I wouldn’t sacrifice a better itinerary just for the sake of the kids. 

Hope you have a wonderful time. Our family trip to Alaska was one of our most memorable to date. 

• Like 3

Not that it would be my choice (RCI' Serenade would be out of Vancouver) but you might want to consider if the ship is so important to look at RCI's Quantum class offering out of Seattle.

I chose Holland America for the same reason.  Included Glacier Bay, sailed out of Vancouver, and got good reviews on food.  I saw kids.  Not a lot, but with so much to do on shore, bring games, etc. to keep them busy on cruising days. 

I don't know you, but NCL seems focused on roller coasters on board and restaurants that are located on land...Johnny Rocket's comes to mind.