Canadians! NCL does not accept mixed doses of vaccines

Hadacareer

39 minutes ago, OrcaGirl said:

For my own sanity, can anyone confirm that this FAQ answer re: NCL not accepting AstraZeneca or any mixed combo vaccines when embarking at a US port is a new policy clarification?

I can't find any record of it, but I swear I double-checked a month ago that NCL was accepting any FDA *or* WHO-approved vaccine; it would have been around the time that the Bruce Springsteen show in NYC was making the news for (initially) only accepting FDA-approved vaccines -- my mom texted me 'concerned' that it would mean I couldn't go on a cruise (she hates that I would even considering cruising right now) and I'm sure I double-checked NCL's requirements at that point and it was fine.

From NCL's website. Wording was more ambiguous a day ago. Said U.S. based ships.

Screenshot 2021-07-15 130626.png

1 hour ago, adhncruisers said:

Yep. Will cancel before final payment due in late Sep and early Oct if policy remains the same. So unfortunate. Was really looking forward to cruising again.

As our cruise is November and most policies are in place till Oct 31 we are agonizing over making final payment and seeing what happens, or cancelling and getting the deposit back as a Future Cruise Credit.

If there was a "our vaxx policies have changed, full refund if you don't like/qualify" option we'd exercise it immediately.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

As our cruise is November and most policies are in place till Oct 31 we are agonizing over making final payment and seeing what happens, or cancelling and getting the deposit back as a Future Cruise Credit.

If there was a "our vaxx policies have changed, full refund if you don't like/qualify" option we'd exercise it immediately.

I would cancel if I were you.

4 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Our final payment is not due until the end of September, our shore excursions are paid and dining options booked. Looks like we will cancel too. 

4 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

That really sucks. I see that their website says you can get a full refund or FCC if you test positive for Covid but nothing about not meeting their vax requirements even though our country considers us fully vax'd.

15 minutes ago, armwinder said:

Our final payment is not due until the end of September, our shore excursions are paid and dining options booked. Looks like we will cancel too. 

Our final payment for one cruise is due end of Sept (Princess) and the other beginning of Oct (NCL). Neither considers us fully vax'd because we had AZ-mRNA mix. We will be cancelling if nothing changes. Looks like they don't want Canadians' business or that of many people from the U.K. and Australia.

Edited by adhncruisers
  • Like 3

My daughter is a US citizen and she will be denied boarding even though the CDC considers her fully vaccinated. (she is a full time student abroad in Austria),  NCL's policy is not in line with CDC guidance.

10 minutes ago, reveur15 said:

I would cancel if I were you.

Yeah, the only problem is it comes back as a FCC under cruise with confidence that must be booked by april and sail by september of next year.
So we'd have an extra 6 months to book something for a timeframe that holidays aren't really feasible for our family. And anything I've priced is significantly more expensive so it looks like we'd lose that way too.

Oh well, resigned to a "darned if we do, darned if we don't" situation

What would be perfect is another Lift & Shift option.

7 minutes ago, adhncruisers said:

Our final payment for one cruise is due end of Sept (Princess) and the other beginning of Oct (NCL). Neither considers us fully vax'd because we had AZ-mRNA mix. We will be cancelling if nothing changes. Looks like they don't want our business or that of many people from the U.K. and Australia.

And Canada

1 minute ago, NateUpNorth said:

Yeah, the only problem is it comes back as a FCC under cruise with confidence that must be booked by april and sail by september of next year.
So we'd have an extra 6 months to book something for a timeframe that holidays aren't really feasible for our family. And anything I've priced is significantly more expensive so it looks like we'd lose that way too.

Oh well, resigned to a "darned if we do, darned if we don't" situation

What would be perfect is another Lift & Shift option.

Has anyone explored starting a new vax regimen or getting a third dose that matches your second? I'm sure it's discouraged and not sure how it would be captured in the Covax system here in Ontario but . . .

1 minute ago, adhncruisers said:

Has anyone explored starting a new vax regimen or getting a third dose that matches your second? I'm sure it's discouraged and not sure how it would be captured in the Covax system here in Ontario but . . .

Covax in Ontario??

13 minutes ago, adhncruisers said:

They probably won't let you.  In their eyes your are full vaxxed so you would not be allowed to get another dose.  I could be wrong, but i explored various options on getting a second dose earlier in year.  Where i got mine there was a board that showed all the appointments.  One was "No Shows".  I asked if i showed up at end of day after 4 weeks if i could get one of the no show Pfizer shots, not let it go to waste.  Was told no I could not regardless of circumstances.  I strongly suspect you will get tied up in bureaucracy trying to do it.  Its against there guide lines and rules.  Can only try though, good luck. 

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Covax in Ontario??

Yep. The system in which your vaccines are registered is called COVAX-ON. Of course, that's the short version for Covid-19 Vaccination Ontario registration system.

Edited by adhncruisers
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

They probably won't let you.  In their eyes your are full vaxxed so you would not be allowed to get another dose.  I could be wrong, but i explored various options on getting a second dose earlier in year.  Where i got mine there was a board that showed all the appointments.  One was "No Shows".  I asked if i showed up at end of day after 4 weeks if i could get one of the no show Pfizer shots, not let it go to waste.  Was told no I could not regardless of circumstances.  I strongly suspect you will get tied up in bureaucracy trying to do it.  Its against there guide lines and rules.  Can only try though, good luck. 

Wasn't going to try. Not worth it at this point. Was just curious if anyone had enquired about it. Will be patient and see if things change before end of September.

After chatting with an NCL agent and thinking about my options as fully-vaccinated-with-AstraZeneca Canadian, I'm going to hold on to my November booking on the Joy until just before my final payment in September. I figure one of four things could happen between now and then:

1. NCL updates their vaccination policy to recognize WHO-approved vaccines for sailings from US ports (fingers crossed!)
  2. The US FDA approves AstraZeneca so this issue becomes moot
  3. NCL cancels more sailings, including the first scheduled Joy sailings in November (hope not, but entirely possible)
  4. NCL drops their 100% vaccination requirement for cruises after October 31 (and I cancel anyway because that's the only reason I felt comfortable booking a cruise)

I did mention to the NCL agent that they really should make sure any Canadians booked on upcoming sailings are aware that AstraZeneca isn't being accepted as valid vaccination; at least my cruise isn't until November, my hotel is pre-paid but fully refundable and I haven't booked my flights yet... but I think a decent percentage of Canadian cruisers who AREN'T on CruiseCritic may be caught off guard by this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OrcaGirl said:

After chatting with an NCL agent and thinking about my options as fully-vaccinated-with-AstraZeneca Canadian, I'm going to hold on to my November booking on the Joy until just before my final payment in September. I figure one of four things could happen between now and then:

1. NCL updates their vaccination policy to recognize WHO-approved vaccines for sailings from US ports (fingers crossed!)
  2. The US FDA approves AstraZeneca so this issue becomes moot
  3. NCL cancels more sailings, including the first scheduled Joy sailings in November (hope not, but entirely possible)
  4. NCL drops their 100% vaccination requirement for cruises after October 31 (and I cancel anyway because that's the only reason I felt comfortable booking a cruise)

I did mention to the NCL agent that they really should make sure any Canadians booked on upcoming sailings are aware that AstraZeneca isn't being accepted as valid vaccination; at least my cruise isn't until November, my hotel is pre-paid but fully refundable and I haven't booked my flights yet... but I think a decent percentage of Canadian cruisers who AREN'T on CruiseCritic may be caught off guard by this.

I just called NCL. The agent was as helpful as he could be under the circumstances, suggesting I wait until just before final payment and see if any more updates come through. I do not think he was aware of the "new" regulations. 

2 minutes ago, armwinder said:

I just called NCL. The agent was as helpful as he could be under the circumstances, suggesting I wait until just before final payment and see if any more updates come through. I do not think he was aware of the "new" regulations. 

Yeah, the woman I was chatting with also suggested waiting for more/changing information. She was aware of the 'clarified policy' but also had a very different interpretation of the post-October 31 messaging currently on the website; she was reading it as though it meant no vaccination requirements at all for sailings after November 1, whereas I always read it as NCL didn't want to commit to 100% vaccination for the long-term but would more than likely keep the 100% or perhaps open up sailings after that date to unvaccinated children under 12, etc.

However, when I asked for clarification on what would happen in the event I made my full payment and then NCL lifted the 100% vaccination requirement and I wanted to cancel at that point, she shifted gears a bit and suggested I cancel before my final payment or rebook to a sailing from a non-US port. (Hmm, maybe San Juan would like to claim their independence instead of trying to become a US state?)

6 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I just found out yesterday that Princess (and I believe Carnival) are also not allowing folks with Astra Zeneca plus Pfizer/Moderna mix....ugh. So many Canadians were "urged" to take the first dose available and then "urged" to accept whatever was offered for the second. I'm thankful I got Moderna for both...but still can't sail as I have an unvaccinated 10 year old. Lol. 

The problem is that the Canadian government politicized the vaccine roll out and circumvented existing protocols to get as many people vaccinated as possible. The optics are good but it may come back to haunt them in the long term.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

The problem is that the Canadian government politicized the vaccine roll out and circumvented existing protocols to get as many people vaccinated as possible. The optics are good but it may come back to haunt them in the long term.

Or it just might have been the best strategy available at the time.  For whatever reason it has worked for us as a Country.  I doubt that cruising was a consideration in the decisions made as to vaccines available and administered.  My city in Canada currently has zero new cases and zero hospitalizations. You can’t argue with that success.  We had many land & sea trips cancelled over the last couple of years but thankfully we’re still on the green side of the grass:-).  But there is also no excuse for NCLs lack of communication to people who are going to be adversely affected by this new vaccine ruling.  As someone said in an earlier post what about all those who won’t see these postings?   NCL seems to be sorely lacking in communication skills.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Samstress said:

Or it just might have been the best strategy available at the time.  For whatever reason it has worked for us as a Country.  I doubt that cruising was a consideration in the decisions made as to vaccines available and administered.  My city in Canada currently has zero new cases and zero hospitalizations. You can’t argue with that success.  We had many land & sea trips cancelled over the last couple of years but thankfully we’re still on the green side of the grass:-).  But there is also no excuse for NCLs lack of communication to people who are going to be adversely affected by this new vaccine ruling.  As someone said in an earlier post what about all those who won’t see these postings?   NCL seems to be sorely lacking in communication skills.

Very true, it is possible to arrive have arrived a couple of days before the cruise in Rome, read the new protocols and not be able to board the ship.   

This is nuts, but the FAQ has changed AGAIN. It will help some people affected by the recent update (me included!) but not others...

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/sail-safe#sail-safe-faq

US Based Vessels will accept any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and/or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol. Including, J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford. Mixed vaccination protocol will not be accepted (i.e. Pfizer + Moderna or AstraZeneca + Pfizer, etc) .

All Other Vessels will accept any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol. Or a mixed vaccination protocol of only AstraZeneca-SK Bio, Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna combinations.

Vaccines received via clinical trials will not be accepted as they do not specify vaccine received.

• Like 3

Oh, the actual reason I came here to see if anyone has mentioned this: Barbados just announced that they won't admit travelers with a mixed-dose vaccination, so I wonder if the FDA or WHO or someone is cautioning about mixed-dose vaccinations and that's why several cruise lines and now a country updated their policies this week. (But then again, every headline I've seen on mixing AZ with Moderna/Pzifer says it's actually better, so... 🤷‍♀️)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, OrcaGirl said:

Oh, the actual reason I came here to see if anyone has mentioned this: Barbados just announced that they won't admit travelers with a mixed-dose vaccination, so I wonder if the FDA or WHO or someone is cautioning about mixed-dose vaccinations and that's why several cruise lines and now a country updated their policies this week. (But then again, every headline I've seen on mixing AZ with Moderna/Pzifer says it's actually better, so... 🤷‍♀️)

So happy for you that you're able to qualify as fully vax'd. Always wonder what prompts these kind of changes. And it's curious that they have different policies for sailing out of non-U.S. ports.

I heard the Barbados thing this morning. Apparently they changed their policy on Jun 25 with no notification.

The better immune response was why we chose AZ-Pfizer mix. That and the fact that Ontario got only enough AZ for about 1/3 of us to get a second dose of it.  And we figured we could get another Pfizer dose if it came to it.

Just glad that we have until September for final payment. And if cruises stay at a Level 4 travel advisory, won't go anyway. 

1 hour ago, OrcaGirl said:

This is nuts, but the FAQ has changed AGAIN. It will help some people affected by the recent update (me included!) but not others...

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/sail-safe#sail-safe-faq

US Based Vessels will accept any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and/or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol. Including, J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford. Mixed vaccination protocol will not be accepted (i.e. Pfizer + Moderna or AstraZeneca + Pfizer, etc) .

All Other Vessels will accept any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol. Or a mixed vaccination protocol of only AstraZeneca-SK Bio, Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna combinations.

Vaccines received via clinical trials will not be accepted as they do not specify vaccine received.

I spent significant time on the phone with both the CDC and NCL today.  Glad to see they are in line with full CDC guidance now and accepting the WHO approved vaccines!  Thanks OrcaGirl for spotting this update!!!