Canadians! NCL does not accept mixed doses of vaccines

Hadacareer

Also a problem for a lot of people that they also will not accept AstraZeneca for passengers embarking or disembarking at US ports as AstraZeneca is not FDA approved.

The mixed doses issue you highlight also only applies to passengers embarking or disembarking at US ports. 

What do they need as proof?

I have friends who had mixed dose, and their vaccine confirmation print out says that they have received Moderna/Pfzier as their 2nd dose, they are fully vaccinated but doesn't mention what their first dose was (i.e. Astra).

If you have to show the first and second dose print out, I guess that would be the issue.

Again, it depends on what they expect as proof.

• Like 2

Phew!  We were worried about availability and timing, so DH and I got our second shots in the US while at Disney a few weeks ago, meaning we got the same brand as our first shots.  We would have been pooched if we’d waited to get them here, and our public health unit is mainly doing Moderna now, and DH had Pfizer first.  I’m going to have to apologize to DH, since I didn’t really want to go to the hassle, and he insisted so that we could get our shots and be done with it.

I just found out yesterday that Princess (and I believe Carnival) are also not allowing folks with Astra Zeneca plus Pfizer/Moderna mix....ugh. So many Canadians were "urged" to take the first dose available and then "urged" to accept whatever was offered for the second. I'm thankful I got Moderna for both...but still can't sail as I have an unvaccinated 10 year old. Lol. 

First it´s for cruises out of the US only - they don´t accept AstraZeneca or mixed vaccinations.

Second this is valid til the end of October.

For European cruises they do accept AstraZeneca and mixed vaccinations.

Currently we Europeans can´t travel to the US anyway so it doesn´t matter. But they might rethink this policy not to lose their European, UK and CA customers.

steamboats

• Like 5

"What vaccines will be accepted?"

"Passengers on ships embarking or disembarking at US ports need to be vaccinated with FDA approved vaccines. Mixed Pfizer / Moderna double vaccine shots are not approved by the FDA."

It might be me but the "double" after "mixed" confused me a bit, "Mixed Pfizer with Moderna or double Moderna.." was how I read it at first. But that's not the case I think! :classic_blush:

Well there goes my November sailing on the Joy out of Miami. We're double-vaxxed with AstraZeneca, and the only reason we booked with Norwegian was for the 100% vaccination requirement. Unless they update their vaccine requirements to include WHO-approved vaccines before we need to make final payment (*and* confirm that 100% vaccinated sailings will happen post-October 2021), I guess we'll have to rethink our vacation plans.

Thank you OP for pointing this out.  I suspect we would not have figured this out otherwise.

So we have the situation where our daughter, who is studying full time abroad, is vaccinated with Astra Zeneca.  I just got off the phone with the resolutions desk.  There are no exceptions to this policy, and she would be denied boarding at check-in. Their initial response was to wait until we got to the ship before changing our plans.  That is NOT what I would call a remotely reasonable answer, especially considering we would have to fly to Miami to find that out.  When we re-booked this cruise (we are on the GEM out of Miami) it stated that WHO vaccines would be accepted.  This is no longer the case (and apparently this was only broadcast through the website and not called out directly in the Safe to Sale email that came out in July).   For now we are going to hold and see what happens within the 21-day period when we have to verify vaccinations in the reservation system and check back in with the resolutions desk.  Not NCL's best day.  But given the current state of NCL's law suit and all that, I really don't know where things stand to be honest.  Frustrated.

Anyone know how to email Frank Del Rio?

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

I just found out yesterday that Princess (and I believe Carnival) are also not allowing folks with Astra Zeneca plus Pfizer/Moderna mix....ugh. So many Canadians were "urged" to take the first dose available and then "urged" to accept whatever was offered for the second. I'm thankful I got Moderna for both...but still can't sail as I have an unvaccinated 10 year old. Lol. 

Where did you see that Princess and Carnival are not allowing Astra Zeneca or mixed? 

2 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

Where did you see that Princess and Carnival are not allowing Astra Zeneca or mixed? 

I think the Astra Zeneca piece only applies to Canadians - many got that first and then Pfizer/Moderna second

14 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

Ok, misunderstood your post. AstraZeneca allowed, just not mixed. Got it.

We are scheduled to sail on a fully vaccinated Princess cruise on Dec 28 and the FAQ's don't mention mixing. States the following:

Acceptable vaccines are those that have an emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or will have received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO).

I guess it's time to give Princess a call and get some more info since we re AZ-Pfizer mixed.

1 minute ago, adhncruisers said:

We are scheduled to sail on a fully vaccinated Princess cruise on Dec 28 and the FAQ's don't mention mixing. States the following:

Acceptable vaccines are those that have an emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or will have received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO).

I guess it's time to give Princess a call and get some more info since we re AZ-Pfizer mixed.

Found this in Princess FAQ:

If I've received mixed vaccinations, will that satisfy your vaccination requirements?

Guests who have received one single dose of a vector vaccine (e.g. AstraZeneca) and one single dose of a mRNA vaccine (e.g. Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna) will not be considered fully vaccinated. Guests who have received two single doses of mixed vaccines that are the same type (e.g., mRNA) will be considered fully vaccinated and will be permitted to sail, so long as the final dose is received at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise.

12 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

Found this in Princess FAQ:

If I've received mixed vaccinations, will that satisfy your vaccination requirements?

Guests who have received one single dose of a vector vaccine (e.g. AstraZeneca) and one single dose of a mRNA vaccine (e.g. Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna) will not be considered fully vaccinated. Guests who have received two single doses of mixed vaccines that are the same type (e.g., mRNA) will be considered fully vaccinated and will be permitted to sail, so long as the final dose is received at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise.

Well, that's a problem. Now what to do? We chose mRNA as our second because there wasn't enough AZ supply for all of us who got first dose AZ to get a second dose. And the studies around mixing the AZ/Pfizer were very positive. I guess we could send the teens on their own 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

It's not just cruise lines - some destinations are also not allowing mixed vaxx to disembark.
Barbados is the one I know of for sure that's requiring extended quarantine for mixed dosers.

Heard that this morning on the radio. Hoping things will change before our final payment is due on our sailing.

2 minutes ago, adhncruisers said:

Heard that this morning on the radio. Hoping things will change before our final payment is due on our sailing.

We're booked on RCL for November.
We've got one adult mixed vaxx. One adult not yet vaxx'd. Two kids under any vaxx approved age. 
It's become more work than it's worth to even attempt to figure out what the rules/protocols will be.
And even if we get them semi-figured out they'll change by then anyway.
That final payment date looms very large for us.

4 hours ago, paradiseawaitsme said:

Canadians who have accepted the mixed dose......just sail out of Europe for now😁

Yes but I have a transatlantic out of Rome to Miami in December..luckily I have both Pfizer but a bit of a shock