Horizon status in now yellow.

DGNewton

Actually, it went back to 

Carnival Horizon Restricted Yellow

CDC has started an investigation.

a few days ago.  This seems to indicate that an investigation threshold was crossed a second time, i.e. for the next sailing after the previous investigation was completed-  late/missing daily EDC form, or more than .1% of passenger compliment positive passengers (3+) during or within 5 days after the cruise.

Edited by arkaine23

Logic would say it should have been 

Green - Yellow - Orange - Red
But nope, Green - Orange - Yellow - Red

Either a real issue - ok that part I can at least understand
But it could have been unrelated post cruise - getting sketchy here
OR an email was late - /sigh

And some wonder why nobody wants to listen to them

Serenade of the Seas just sailed for Alaska and is already listed as Yellow which is interesting since the Alaska cruises are supposed to be fully vaccinated cruises arent they? Carnival Freedom, Horizon and Conquest are now in Yellow followed by Breeze and Miracle in Orange.  Mardi Gras is now Green which is good since they are sailing in just over a week.

12 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Serenade of the Seas just sailed for Alaska and is already listed as Yellow which is interesting since the Alaska cruises are supposed to be fully vaccinated cruises arent they? Carnival Freedom, Horizon and Conquest are now in Yellow followed by Breeze and Miracle in Orange.  Mardi Gras is now Green which is good since they are sailing in just over a week.

Not sure if you've been paying attention to what is going on on land, but "fully vaccinated" doesn't seem to be making much of a difference in terms of "cases" lately.  (Yes, it does seem to be keeping people out of the hospital, but the cruise ship "color code" is cases based).

Honestly it's surprising no ships have gone Red yet.  I suspect we'll see a Red ship in 2-3 weeks.

• Like 1

Just now, jfunk138 said:

Honestly it's surprising no ships have gone Red yet.  I suspect we'll see a Red ship in 2-3 weeks.

Well i would think it would only be surprising for people who expect the protocols they have in place not to work. Fully Vaccinated is making a difference by the way.  Stats here in Alberta released yesterday show that since January 1st 96% of all confirmed cases were either unvaccinated or diagnosed within two weeks of receiving their first dose while their immunity was still building.  So to me it seems it is making a difference.  A HUGE difference from pre vaccine days.

Just now, kdr69 said:

Well i would think it would only be surprising for people who expect the protocols they have in place not to work. Fully Vaccinated is making a difference by the way.  Stats here in Alberta released yesterday show that since January 1st 96% of all confirmed cases were either unvaccinated or diagnosed within two weeks of receiving their first dose while their immunity was still building.  So to me it seems it is making a difference.  A HUGE difference from pre vaccine days.

Canada is about 3 months behind the UK, 2 months behind the US.  UK saw the same drop in cases Canada is seeing now, but is surging again and 60% of cases are occurring in people who are "fully vaccinated". 

US also starting another surge of cases including a number of high profile incidents of "fully vaccinated" people testing positive.  What happens on land eventually makes its way to the sea, so it's only a matter of time until cruises see an outbreak.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jfunk138 said:

Canada is about 3 months behind the UK, 2 months behind the US.  UK saw the same drop in cases Canada is seeing now, but is surging again and 60% of cases are occurring in people who are "fully vaccinated". 

US also starting another surge of cases including a number of high profile incidents of "fully vaccinated" people testing positive.  What happens on land eventually makes its way to the sea, so it's only a matter of time until cruises see an outbreak.

We are ahead of the US in terms of vaccinations now though and im skeptical about the 60% figure given the rare occurrences of breakthrough cases and reports such as below indicate they were NOT considered "fully vaccinated"

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19vaccine/93249

Notably, the vast majority of index cases in vaccinated individuals -- 93% -- came before the person had received the recommended second dose, Harris and colleagues pointed out. "Assessment of infection risks among household contacts according to the timing of vaccination of the index patient showed protective effects when the vaccine had been administered at least 14 days before the positive test," the group wrote. By days 14 to 16 after vaccination, the odds ratio for household contacts to become infected had fallen to about 0.70-0.75, reaching about 0.4 after 35 days, both in comparison with contacts of unvaccinated index patients.

Overall, the findings support previous suggestions that breakthrough infections after COVID vaccination tend not only to to be less severe, but also less transmissible than infections in the unvaccinated, Harris and colleagues concluded.

• Like 1

The good news is the CDC system is working. I survived 8 days on Horizon and haven't dropped dead yet. I even had a self-serve frozen yogurt cone. The reality is cruise ships are safer than staying on land, and it is mainly (but not exclusively) because of high vaccination rates along with other precautions.

Next cruise in about 2 months!

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The good news is the CDC system is working. I survived 8 days on Horizon and haven't dropped dead yet. I even had a self-serve frozen yogurt cone. The reality is cruise ships are safer than staying on land, and it is mainly (but not exclusively) because of high vaccination rates along with other precautions.

Next cruise in about 2 months!

Amen to that and Congrats on a successful cruise!!!

13 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

We are ahead of the US in terms of vaccinations now though and im skeptical about the 60% figure given the rare occurrences of breakthrough cases and reports such as below indicate they were NOT considered "fully vaccinated"

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19vaccine/93249

Notably, the vast majority of index cases in vaccinated individuals -- 93% -- came before the person had received the recommended second dose, Harris and colleagues pointed out. "Assessment of infection risks among household contacts according to the timing of vaccination of the index patient showed protective effects when the vaccine had been administered at least 14 days before the positive test," the group wrote. By days 14 to 16 after vaccination, the odds ratio for household contacts to become infected had fallen to about 0.70-0.75, reaching about 0.4 after 35 days, both in comparison with contacts of unvaccinated index patients.

Overall, the findings support previous suggestions that breakthrough infections after COVID vaccination tend not only to to be less severe, but also less transmissible than infections in the unvaccinated, Harris and colleagues concluded.

When I say "behind", I mean in terms of case curves, not number of vaccinations.  Canada's case surge will arrive in September/October timeframe and as Israel is showing, it won't matter how many you have vaccinated. 

You are correct that US, UK, and Canada have similar "fully vaccinated" percentage right now.

3 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

Canada's case surge will arrive in September/October timeframe and as Israel is showing, it won't matter how many you have vaccinated. 

This is a strange comment to make in my opinion.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2021 at 10:17 AM, kdr69 said:

Mardi Gras has not had it first passenger sailing so it should be green. I think 7/31 is their possible target date for first sailing.

Just now, silversneakers said:

Mardi Gras has not had it first passenger sailing so it should be green. I think 7/31 is their possible target date for first sailing.

Yes but they were Orange until all the crew was considered fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

My wife and I were on Horizon July 10-18, had a great time, both vaccinated in February.  We both got sick and tested positive for Covid this week.  State Health department is confident, based on the timelines I provided, we caught it on the cruise.  Everyone please be careful!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unclecoach31 said:

My wife and I were on Horizon July 10-18, had a great time, both vaccinated in February.  We both got sick and tested positive for Covid this week.  State Health department is confident, based on the timelines I provided, we caught it on the cruise.  Everyone please be careful!

Does Carnival know you tested positive?

But on the ship or on a shore excursion?

I hope you didn't get too sick. Honestly I think this will be a story more and more that we hear. I personally know 15 friends that went to the DR a few months ago. 14 were vaccinated and 1 was not.and 4 got covid. 2 tested positive there and were quarantined and 2 tested positive after getting home. 3 of the 4 that got it were vaccinated and 1 was not vaccinated. the 3 all had symptoms for ~3 days. The one not vaccinated had symptoms lasting a week or more and some of the symptoms were pretty rough. Glad you are ok and this is a reminder that we need to practice proper precautions as we see fit for our safety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

I hope you didn't get too sick. Honestly I think this will be a story more and more that we hear. I personally know 15 friends that went to the DR a few months ago. 14 were vaccinated and 1 was not.and 4 got covid. 2 tested positive there and were quarantined and 2 tested positive after getting home. 3 of the 4 that got it were vaccinated and 1 was not vaccinated. the 3 all had symptoms for ~3 days. The one not vaccinated had symptoms lasting a week or more and some of the symptoms were pretty rough. Glad you are ok and this is a reminder that we need to practice proper precautions as we see fit for our safety.

So the vaccinated people that tested positive had lesser symptoms? Sounds like the non-vaccinated person had more severe symptoms.  Sorry to hear anybody suffered.  I agree, washing hands, etc is always good to keep in mind anywhere.  Thanks for posting!