Testing for kids

Can anyone who has sailed from Florida recently with children under 12 confirm what type of testing they are doing for the kids? Is it the nose or mouth swab? I’ve only had the invasive nose swab and am not sure my daughter could handle that one, lol. 

Will be following this…

Have a 7 yr old granddaughter and we’re cruising in November.  She’s never had to be tested.  Hoping the candy shop onboard will be the “answer” to bribe her BUT apparently she will be required to have another test before disembarking ☹️😢.

I realize protocol is changing all the time and perhaps will be different by November…yet two tests in the span of 3 1/2 days…😞

Children are receiving a nasal swab antigen test. Nasal swabs are no longer invasive. On the Adventure of the Seas, adults also received them mid-cruise and there was nothing to it. 

17 minutes ago, CJMini said:

Will be following this…

Have a 7 yr old granddaughter and we’re cruising in November.  She’s never had to be tested.  Hoping the candy shop onboard will be the “answer” to bribe her BUT apparently she will be required to have another test before disembarking ☹️😢.

I realize protocol is changing all the time and perhaps will be different by November…yet two tests in the span of 3 1/2 days…😞

We’re cruising in November also, so hopefully things will be different then. 

9 minutes ago, seabeew said:

Children are receiving a nasal swab antigen test. Nasal swabs are no longer invasive. On the Adventure of the Seas, adults also received them mid-cruise and there was nothing to it. 

My understanding was the the initial PCR test was the nasal swab and the mid-cruise antigen test was the saliva test? Regardless, it’s good to know they are at least less invasive now. Though I guess that’s dependent on the person. 

Great video.  Certainly reassuring and appears to be less invasive.  My adult son had a test and he described it as “a frontal lobotomy “ 😳😩

Perhaps the testing technician is instructed to be gentle with children.

Thank you atricks.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DrDani226 said:

My understanding was the the initial PCR test was the nasal swab and the mid-cruise antigen test was the saliva test? Regardless, it’s good to know they are at least less invasive now. Though I guess that’s dependent on the person. 

They were both nasal swabs (pre boarding and mid-cruise) and they were both antigen tests on the Adventure out of Nassau. We also had to bring PCR test results (administered at his doctor’s office) for our grandson for boarding. He had a lot of apprehension before each of the tests, but truthfully he was all smiles after the tests.

The mid-cruise test that we all had to take was just a tickle. It was administered by the contract test providers on board. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, CJMini said:

Great video.  Certainly reassuring and appears to be less invasive.  My adult son had a test and he described it as “a frontal lobotomy “ 😳😩

Perhaps the testing technician is instructed to be gentle with children.

Thank you atricks.

I think the PCR tests are the lobotomy ones, and the antigen tests are the non-invasive ones.

I've only had PCR tests so far, and yes, the swab goes all the way in.

I am not worried about our kid getting any of the tests, but my DH flat out refuses to get a PCR test before the cruise unless he can operate the swab himself. He has some serious nasal problems, and the only other person who is allowed to touch his nose is his ENT. Thankfully, DH is vaccinated and may or may not need a PCR test in November. Who knows at this time....

I just had my first nasal swab Covid test last week. I was expecting the lobotomy but instead it tickled.

FYI, It was negative. I was also tested for influenza which was also negative. I guess I just had a common cold. 

13 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I think the PCR tests are the lobotomy ones, and the antigen tests are the non-invasive ones.

I've only had PCR tests so far, and yes, the swab goes all the way in.

I am not worried about our kid getting any of the tests, but my DH flat out refuses to get a PCR test before the cruise unless he can operate the swab himself. He has some serious nasal problems, and the only other person who is allowed to touch his nose is his ENT. Thankfully, DH is vaccinated and may or may not need a PCR test in November. Who knows at this time....

Luckily the video posted shows a child getting a very mild nasal swab. Only the tip of the swab was inserted. I’m going to keep my eyes open for more videos in the months to come…

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I had mine 3 weeks ago at CVS. Yeap, a lobotomy one.

I assume you didn’t administer the test yourself. Here in Florida at CVS pcr covid tests are observed, but self-administered. 

2 hours ago, seabeew said:

I assume you didn’t administer the test yourself. Here in Florida at CVS pcr covid tests are observed, but self-administered. 

I did. They tell you when to stop when sticking the wand in. It's definitely NOT what's on the cruise video 🙂.