COVID Testing For Return Flight

mapsd

If the CDC is still requiring a negative COVID test within 3 days of reentering the US, what will be the options for doing it?

Self-test (available from some airlines)? find a local testing agency? will our cruise line assist?

The cruise line will pretty much assist. The tests can be done onboard. That´s what the ocean cruise ships are doing. And it can be easily done onboard a river cruise ship too. Usually an Antigen test (which is the one you can do as a video supervised self-test) is o.k..

steamboats

Check with your cruise line about costs.  If you have any OBC, you may be able to use that to help pay for them.  I think the person who just finished the Uniworld cruise in Italy was charged about 130 Euros.

Tauck is providing onboard testing on my upcoming cruise in December, for an added fee, of course.  Just for the heck of it, I checked to see what testing facilities are available in Amsterdam for travelers.  I found a couple of places, and the price is around 89 euros.  They guarantee same day results that are emailed to you.  I will probably go with what's provided by the cruise line for the convenience and not having to waste valuable vacation time at a medical testing facility.

Avalon said that they will do onboard covid testing at no cost for passengers who need it to return home.  We sail Sept. 22 from Basel and it is a go so far.  Final payment is early in August.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Daisi said:

I think the person who just finished the Uniworld cruise in Italy was charged about 130 Euros.

That must have been a PCR Test... For an Antigen test TUI Cruises, AIDA, Costa or MSC are all charging 25 Euro. In Italy the Antigen tests on land for tourisits are more than double of this (more like 60 Euro). But 130 Euro for an Antigen test would be insane.

Here in Germany I get an Antigen test for free (for German citizens only). Others are charging 20 to 30 Euro. A PCR test is app. 75 Euro (overnight test).

I can buy a self test (Antigen) for 3 to 5 Euro or even less in every supermarket. But those are not valid for flying.

steamboats

• Like 1

To return to Canada, you are not allowed to use the Antigen test.  That is probably why Uniworld was offering the more expensive one.  Not sure about which test is required for returning Americans.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roz said:

I think the US requires a PCR test.

I don´t think so as those video observed self tests which are accepted by some airlines (UA is one) are Antigen tests. A (US) friend of mine did this prior to flying back to the US from Europe.

steamboats

So is it the airlines or the US that's requiring the test, and what kind of test?  What kind of test are the cruise lines making available?

Anyone besides me totally confused?  Honestly, I don't know the difference between one test and another. 😀

50 minutes ago, Roz said:

So is it the airlines or the US that's requiring the test, and what kind of test?  What kind of test are the cruise lines making available?

Anyone besides me totally confused?  Honestly, I don't know the difference between one test and another. 😀

From what I understand, the US government (CDC?) requires the COVID test, and it's the airline that checks that you have it.  I presume the assumption is that if the airline let you on the plane, you tested COVID-negative?

• Like 2

From everything that I have read, it is the US Government that requires the test.  The antigen test is the one that will work and is the easiest with the home test that you can purchase online.  PCR test will also work, but it's more expensive and takes longer.

• Like 1

We're spending 5 more days in Belgium after leaving our river cruise in Amsterdam, so doubtful any onboard test will be of use (unless they give us a kit to take with us).

Might do an inquiry with our airline.  I'll report back here if I learn anything.

1 hour ago, mapsd said:

We're spending 5 more days in Belgium after leaving our river cruise in Amsterdam, so doubtful any onboard test will be of use (unless they give us a kit to take with us).

Might do an inquiry with our airline.  I'll report back here if I learn anything.

Just done messaging United & they confirmed what was mentioned here:

An antigen self-test within 72 hours is accepted.  United sells a 2- test pack for $70.

I just went on Amazon now  and ordered the exact same Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test for $20/2-pack.  Results in 15 minutes.  

Edited by mapsd
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Roz said:

The US (CDC) requires a test for entry to the US. But you are not allowed on the plane without a test. So the airline checks your test (for the US authorities). Same here in Germany. I can´t board a plane back home without a test (or a proof of vaccination).

Antigen test - works with a test card and a result within 15 min (but is not that accurate - might show a false positive or false negative as it doesn´t "work" in the first 5 days of the infection). PCR test - you need a lab machine for processing. The fastest machines are 70 min. But usually it´s several hours to process the sample. It´s more accurate.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mapsd said:

Just done messaging United & they confirmed what was mentioned here:

An antigen self-test within 72 hours is accepted.  United sells a 2- test pack for $70.

I just went on Amazon now  and ordered the exact same Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test for $20/2-pack.  Results in 15 minutes.  

As far as I´ve heard you need a video supervised self-test. Otherwise there is no proof that this is your test or that you tested properly. Those video supervised tests are a bit more expensive than the regular self tests you can buy.

steamboats

• Like 2

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

As far as I´ve heard you need a video supervised self-test. Otherwise there is no proof that this is your test or that you tested properly. Those video supervised tests are a bit more expensive than the regular self tests you can buy.

steamboats

Correct. You need the version that includes  the app for linking to video-supervised self-administering the test. (We already had, so just needed test kits).

• Like 3

Not that long ago I have gone through the PCR testing myself. A few days later

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

The US (CDC) requires a test for entry to the US. But you are not allowed on the plane without a test. So the airline checks your test (for the US authorities). Same here in Germany. I can´t board a plane back home without a test (or a proof of vaccination).

Antigen test - works with a test card and a result within 15 min (but is not that accurate - might show a false positive or false negative as it doesn´t "work" in the first 5 days of the infection). PCR test - you need a lab machine for processing. The fastest machines are 70 min. But usually it´s several hours to process the sample. It´s more accurate.

steamboats

If I am not mistaken they do two tests when you arrive + you have to have one before leaving the country of visit. In my personal opinion, the way the testing goes in the US is very precise. It ensures maximum protection from sicj people entering the country

Roger88, an Antigen test usually reacts 5 to 7 days after you caught it. There are a lot of false positive tests which is immanent to the test and has nothing to do with the way you´re tested. It´s a rapid test and that´s what it is for.

A PCR test detects the infection earlier than an Antigen test.

Over here in Germany we do have free Antigen tests (and you are eligible for one test per week but nobody checks this) and also free PCR tests. But when I need a PCR test with an international certificate (meaning my passport number and in English plus German) I have to pay app. 75 Euro.

Kids have to have a test twice a week for school (Antigen test). Many pharmacies do tests. Plus many companies do provide Antigen tests for their employees. Some do even require a test per week.

steamboats

In Canada, we get free PCR tests, however we only get notified of results if we come up positive.  If we need one for travelling (which still really isn't authorised by the Govt. yet), we have to pay for one.  Not sure how much they cost.  When you arrive at the border (air or land), you have to have one test done within 72 hrs (PCR) and another test upon arrival which will be provided for free.

Realizing this is absolutely a risk that one must take in order to travel internationally these days, is anyone concerned about a positive test? Especially since we know that those who are vaccinated can be asymptomatic and yet still infected which means you would test positive. We're planning a trip this Fall and are pushing ahead, but I've got to say the thought of being stranded in Europe with a positive test is a little concerning. I think the odds are of course low, but it's hard to know exactly how many asymptomatic breakthrough infections are occurring because of a lack of regular testing of those without symptoms.

@br111 some ocean cruise lines are requiring an insurance (but for those who are not vaccinated). So there must be something available in the US. Here in Germany we can buy a Covid-19 add on (at least most insurance companies do offer one - mine only for new contracts). This covers all costs for a quarantine (which is usually in a separate hotel). And not just when you are infected but also for a contact person.

Over here we can buy self tests in all supermarkets and drugstores. They are usually 4 Euro. I know some people who are doing a self test on each day of the cruise (besides all other precautions like wearing a proper mask).

steamboats

Per CDC website FAQ, the tests accepted for entry into the US could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Actually, just about ALL Covid tests available right now are acceptable by the CDC for entry into the US, including but are "not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)."

And the time element is stated as within 3-days prior to departure rather than 72-hours, as per the same CDC Website FAQ: "The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered."

• Like 1