Province issued covid PCR test

Sharon1927

10 hours ago, mexico8 said:

So you think that means we will have to be tested each time we want to get off the ship at all these ports?   Will we have to pay for each test or will HAL cover it?   Could get really expensive at about $200 per person each time for a PCR.   I read that Florida charge $179 for the PCR test at the airport.

The length of time between the test and visit to the ports varies. For example, St. Lucia requires that you be tested within 5 days of arrival, while for Antigua & Barbuda it's 7 days. So depending on the itinerary and order in which islands are visited, it's conceivable that a single PCR test would cover the requirements for an entire cruise.

That said, I'm not aware of any cruise line that demands a negative PCR test from all passengers prior to boarding, nor am I aware of any that have the capability of conducting onboard PCR tests on all passengers. Consequently, IMO it is far more likely that cruise lines will simply forego visiting those island where a PCR test would be required for all passengers.

Too late too edit my previous post to add that it is possible that the general requirements for visitors may be modified for cruise passengers. At the current time, Celebrity still has Saint Lucia on some of  its itineraries, but you have to take a curated ship's excursion to visit the port. The nature of these excursions and their health and safety protocols are subject to agreement between the cruise line and Saint Lucia but do not include the requirement for a PCR test.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The length of time between the test and visit to the ports varies. For example, St. Lucia requires that you be tested within 5 days of arrival, while for Antigua & Barbuda it's 7 days. So depending on the itinerary and order in which islands are visited, it's conceivable that a single PCR test would cover the requirements for an entire cruise.

That said, I'm not aware of any cruise line that demands a negative PCR test from all passengers prior to boarding, nor am I aware of any that have the capability of conducting onboard PCR tests on all passengers. Consequently, IMO it is far more likely that cruise lines will simply forego visiting those island where a PCR test would be required for all passengers.

Our cruise is 21 days so we may need a few tests during the cruise.   I have not enjoyed having the stick shoved up my nose and down my throat and don't want to be subjected to that every 3, 5 or 7 days.   I can wear a mask most of the time but not really looking forward to it when off the ship in the heat.   Weighing all the pros and cons and trying to decide whether to cancel our cruise or not.  Our final payment is in 5 days so time is of the essence.

Thank you for the info.

23 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

Our cruise is 21 days so we may need a few tests during the cruise.   I have not enjoyed having the stick shoved up my nose and down my throat and don't want to be subjected to that every 3, 5 or 7 days.   I can wear a mask most of the time but not really looking forward to it when off the ship in the heat.   Weighing all the pros and cons and trying to decide whether to cancel our cruise or not.  Our final payment is in 5 days so time is of the essence.

Thank you for the info.

Before cancelling, check with HAL to determine what the requirements will be for each island. I really would be very, very surprised if they expect passengers to go through a series of PCR tests. BTW, the combined 21 day Wayfarer/Seafarer is a great cruise. We did it on the Noordam back in 2013 and loved every minute of it.

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Before cancelling, check with HAL to determine what the requirements will be for each island. I really would be very, very surprised if they expect passengers to go through a series of PCR tests. BTW, the combined 21 day Wayfarer/Seafarer is a great cruise. We did it on the Noordam back in 2013 and loved every minute of it.

Thanks for your reply.   Just noticed you live in Ottawa - we are neighbours - we live in Aylmer beside the Ottawa River.

15 hours ago, mexico8 said:

Thanks for your reply.   Just noticed you live in Ottawa - we are neighbours - we live in Aylmer beside the Ottawa River.

We might have been even closer neighbours at one time, as DW and I lived in Aylmer from 1973 to 1997. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

We might have been even closer neighbours at one time, as DW and I lived in Aylmer from 1973 to 1997. 

In 1972 we were in Pilon project and then in 1979 to 2020 we were in Champlain Parc and then in 2020 we came to Wychwood.   Were you any of those places?

5 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

In 1972 we were in Pilon project and then in 1979 to 2020 we were in Champlain Parc and then in 2020 we came to Wychwood.   Were you any of those places?

LOL, we lived on Port Royal from 1973 to 1997. It's definitely a small world! 

40 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

LOL, we lived on Port Royal from 1973 to 1997. It's definitely a small world! 

Guess what - we were at 35 Port Royal!!!!  We are Wendy and Robert Tremblay.   What is your name?   If you prefer you could e-mail me at wendybob8 at gmail.com

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

Guess what - we were at 35 Port Royal!!!!  We are Wendy and Robert Tremblay.   What is your name?   If you prefer you could e-mail me at wendybob8 at gmail.com

Hi Wendy and Robert, Marie and Mike from 23 Port Royal,  4 houses down!  I'll send you an e-mail.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, Evilmuffin said:

Is the test required for entry to the USA, the same as the cruiselines?    For example, if I got an antigen test here in Ottawa on a Thursday/Friday, board a flight on Saturday, and sail on Sunday, will that one test be good enough?    Although hopefully by the time my cruise departs, (Dec) I’m sure lots will have changed.

We paid for the rapid test at Switch Health at the Pearson airport at 5 am Wednesday and used it to board our Air Canada flight Wednesday morning and will be using the same test to board our cruise tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

I can confirm 100% that you CANNOT use a negative PCR test done by the government of Ontario to board your flight to the US. I had one done to visit my father in an old age home and uploaded it to Air Canada to see what happened. A couple if hours later I received an email saying it was rejected because my name was incorrect on the document. The government blanks out your surname on the document when you log in, so that is not acceptable to use. 

I had already known I would be required to pay for a rapid test a few days later to board my ship tomorrow, so I had that test done by Switch Health at the airport and Air Canada accepted that one when I submitted it. 

10 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I can confirm 100% that you CANNOT use a negative PCR test done by the government of Ontario to board your flight to the US. I had one done to visit my father in an old age home and uploaded it to Air Canada to see what happened. A couple if hours later I received an email saying it was rejected because my name was incorrect on the document. The government blanks out your surname on the document when you log in, so that is not acceptable to use. 

I had already known I would be required to pay for a rapid test a few days later to board my ship tomorrow, so I had that test done by Switch Health at the airport and Air Canada accepted that one when I submitted it. 

Good to know.   Thank you for passing on your experience.   I am planning to just fly into Toronto early and deal with the test.  Unless they start flyng direct to FL from Ottawa and doing the tests there.

59 minutes ago, Evilmuffin said:

Good to know.   Thank you for passing on your experience.   I am planning to just fly into Toronto early and deal with the test.  Unless they start flyng direct to FL from Ottawa and doing the tests there.

If you are getting your test done on where we did switch health at Pearson airport, you actually have to leave the airport and go to a parking garage. They have a shuttle that takes you there and they are set up in the lobby of the parking garage inside to do the test.  If you are getting your test done on where we did switch health at Pearson airport, you actually have to leave the airport and go to a parking garage. They have a shuttle that takes you there and they are set up in the lobby of the parking garage inside to do the test.  You can then take the shuttle back to the airport terminal and by the time you get there you will likely have your results. Doing it this way for you though would be You can then take the shuttle back to the airport terminal and by the time you get there you will likely have your results. Doing it this way for you though would be Stressful. I would recommend getting your test done at Shoppers Drug Mart before heading to the airport if possible. It was not possible for us since we flew to Florida three days before our cruise

11 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Really? That is frustrating.

I have questions now though.

In Ottawa you have the option of doing a PCR Test at a government run clinic and paying if you say you are travelling. 

What is the difference between that test and the free one done because you have symptoms?

You mentioned that your last name is blanked out. I've only had one pcr test done and don't remember what the results looked like.

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Really? That is frustrating.

I have questions now though.

In Ottawa you have the option of doing a PCR Test at a government run clinic and paying if you say you are travelling. 

What is the difference between that test and the free one done because you have symptoms?

You mentioned that your last name is blanked out. I've only had one pcr test done and don't remember what the results looked like.

Here is the test result I received with my given named blanked out by myself. I was surprised there was minimal personal info on it. Obviously the purpose is to just inform you of your test result and not to be used for any other purpose. We had this done to confirm we tested negative before visiting an old age home. 

9B336A3B-FD66-40D5-8E1A-C4EDA6AB4AD1.jpeg

Edited by Russ Lomas
Add info

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 9:53 AM, Russ Lomas said:

We paid for the rapid test at Switch Health at the Pearson airport at 5 am Wednesday and used it to board our Air Canada flight Wednesday morning and will be using the same test to board our cruise tomorrow morning.

Hi Russ

i need to use Switch Health for a COVID test for our upcoming flight and cruise. Our flight is at 9:40am so will need to book an early appointment. If you could share your experience using Switch Health I would really appreciate it. It makes me nervous heading to the airport without any tests done. 
thanks Karen

21 minutes ago, BarbaraGligoric said:

Costco on Blair at Shoppers CityEast is offering the rapid antigen test for travel  for 16.99 . I was there 2 days ago and couldn’t make an appt for this Thursday but they said to call that morning and they give me a time to come in.

Not as close as our nearest SDM, but at less than half price, perhaps worth the extra drive when there are two of us.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 10:47 AM, Karen Lynn said:

You cannot use the provincial one - at least in Ontario..

Has to be independent test with Lifelabs or Shoppers 

https://www.medionerx.com/ has the cheapest PCR in Ontario at $100. Lots of locations in and around the GTA if you're in that area (and they're offering 10% off for Air Canada passengers!)

On 8/10/2021 at 2:59 PM, mexico8 said:

Thanks for the info from you and gnome 12 - If I read it correctly somewhere else it costs about $200 for the PCR test in Florida (we fly home from there).   Is that correct?

There's a company called Fast Labs (fastlabsmed.com) that does an RT-PCR test or $200 or a fast PCR test (which is actually a NAAT test, which is allowed for reentry to Canada) for $175 and they say results in minutes for both tests. I know they have a handful of mobile locations in Miami, at least one of which is quite close to the cruise pier. Not sure about Ft. Lauderdale. They have PCR testing at Miami airport for $179 or at FLL it's $159 (odd as it's done by the same organization, Nomi Health, but I've used their chat feature a few times now and was given those two different prices. Their antigen tests are pricier at MIA as well). There's also a pharmacy in Miami https://www.pharmcorx.com/pcr-covid-test-for-cruises-in-north-miami-beach that does PCR tests for $149 with results in an hour. Just keep in mind, if you have a late flight or are staying an extra day at the end of your cruise, get your test done before you go off and enjoy Florida so everyone stays safe! 

On 10/17/2021 at 6:56 PM, Tomchick1970 said:

Hi Russ

i need to use Switch Health for a COVID test for our upcoming flight and cruise. Our flight is at 9:40am so will need to book an early appointment. If you could share your experience using Switch Health I would really appreciate it. It makes me nervous heading to the airport without any tests done. 
thanks Karen

I know exactly how you feel.  I wrote about this just above.  We were very nervous because we did not know if we would get the results in time.  It worked flawlessly, thankfully we all tested negative.  I think our appointments were 5:15 am, we had our tests done by 5:25 and had our results around 5:40 am for our 8 am flight.

• Like 1