Confused - when do I get the COVID test no more than 3 days prior? Which test do you recommend?

I'm confused and want to get it right - I know that we need the COVID test (PCR or antigen) no more than 3 days prior to arriving at the terminal. I am sailing on Saturday Oct 2nd (Symphony 7 night).  I've read that the day you get the test is day "zero".   

Do I get the test on Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday prior to sailing?  

Would you recommend the PCR or antigen test?  

Thank you so much for your help.....

Sailing Friday - Tues is the earliest

Sailing Saturday - Wed is the earliest

Sailing Sunday - Thurs is the earliest

Sailing Monday - Fri is the earliest

Royal specifies days not number of hours. Some countries list specific hours so those are the ones you have to be real careful with - like Canada says within 72 hours

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Here is the link to the covid test page on Royal's website.  Click on the port you're leaving from and it will give you the info.  I called RCI and was given the wrong info -- I'm going by what this page states:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise#florida

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

You’re welcome.  BTW, I’m learning paso doble and like your screen name.

Paso has been my "solo" dance for years --- do it in all showcases and theatrical performances.  Absolutely love it!  Good luck with your lessons - so much fun!

• Like 1

Oh boy! We sail 9/5 out of Galveston and have to assume this new testing protocol will include September cruises as well.  Can't book Walgreens or CVS beyond August and no guarantees I will have results back in time.  Can't use a home test.  Can't use an independent pharmacy either.  I live in the boonies.  

Edited by AdMaven
typo

1 minute ago, pasodancer said:

Paso has been my "solo" dance for years --- do it in all showcases and theatrical performances.  Absolutely love it!  Good luck with your lessons - so much fun!

Thanks -- I love the dance!  I'm a salsa and bachata dancer (Miami club dances) and wanted to do something different.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AdMaven said:

Oh boy! We sail 9/5 out of Galveston and have to assume this new testing protocol will include September cruses as well.  Can't book Walgreens or CVS beyond August and no guarantees I will have results back in time.  Can't use a home test.  Can't use an independent pharmacy either.  I live in the boonies.  

Did you check out this CVS page?

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/clinic-locator/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas7df said:

CVS books out 14 days in advance only, you need to wait until your cruise date is closer.

I guess I'm just anxious.  Thanks for the info.  I'll mark my calendar! 

4 minutes ago, pasodancer said:

Does anyone have an idea how much the tests cost (assuming that my insurance will not cover it - which it probably won't because it is for travel)?

Both Walgreens and CVS are free in VA.

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

And get a doctor note in advance in casr needed. Research which stores do or do not require a note. Check Walgreens too.

I've already asked my provider and they require symptoms for testing recommendations.  Walgreens isn't booking September yet either and their website says not guaranteed for travel.  I think I'll stop by and talk to them my next trip. 

4 minutes ago, AdMaven said:

I've already asked my provider and they require symptoms for testing recommendations.  Walgreens isn't booking September yet either and their website says not guaranteed for travel.  I think I'll stop by and talk to them my next trip. 

They do the quick test which RCI says is good. Perhaps a different test is needed for Adventure of seas. Walgreens is 4 day advance reservations. CVS is 2 weeks.

Again I spent time doing research and so read each locations rules as they vary -  half in my area do want doctors note and also half CVS places ONLY do PCR which takes much longer. Look for rapid testing. There are 2 kinds one gets results in hour and one in 24 hrs. 

Again read each stores rules carefully and plan if needed to drive around

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you can get the antigen test, get it. Much quicker. There is a rapid PCR test (that's what RC would use on board to confirm the antigen test), but they might be harder to find if you're in a bit of a time crunch.

Adventure started accepting antigen tests as of the currently sailing cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The tests get billed to the federal government, and paid out of a special Covid fund. You pay your taxes, so you are due to take advantage of the resources; in my humble opinion. 

For me I will go and test and if I have to pay then I will do so I can cruise.

Such confusion on testing just like vaccines.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Sailing Friday - Tues is the earliest

Sailing Saturday - Wed is the earliest

Sailing Sunday - Thurs is the earliest

Sailing Monday - Fri is the earliest

Royal specifies days not number of hours. Some countries list specific hours so those are the ones you have to be real careful with - like Canada says within 72 hours

And this is the problem with pre cruise testing.  My cruise leaves on Sunday, November, 28.  I want to fly down at least one, maybe two days prior, but Thursday is Thanksgiving Day and I probably won't find anything open.  If I fly down on Saturday, that only leaves me one day - Friday to get tested and get results back. It shouldn't have to be this stressful.  

Testing needs to be made available at the pier.  This new requirement totally rules out leaving on Friday.

Edited by mek
  • Like 3