Confused - when do I get the COVID test no more than 3 days prior? Which test do you recommend?

22 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Also, it's a good thing to check County websites.  Here in Miami-Dade County they offer free testing for COVID-19 at drive-up, walk-in and mobile sites. 

They have that in Orlando as well and everyday on the news that state that the wait is hours long and everyday they close early due to overload.

26 minutes ago, mek said:

And this is the problem with pre cruise testing.  My cruise leaves on Sunday, November, 28.  I want to fly down at least one, maybe two days prior, but Thursday is Thanksgiving Day and I probably won't find anything open.  If I fly down on Saturday, that only leaves me one day - Friday to get tested and get results back. It shouldn't have to be this stressful.  

Testing needs to be made available at the pier.  This new requirement totally rules out leaving on Friday.

Call Royal.  I read some verbage that if you absolutely can't get it done before your travels they will have testing available at the pier

1 hour ago, pasodancer said:

I'm confused and want to get it right - I know that we need the COVID test (PCR or antigen) no more than 3 days prior to arriving at the terminal. I am sailing on Saturday Oct 2nd (Symphony 7 night).  I've read that the day you get the test is day "zero".   

Do I get the test on Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday prior to sailing?  

Would you recommend the PCR or antigen test?  

Thank you so much for your help.....

I am going for the antigenic rapid test... results available in 15-30 minutes...vs the next day. timing is too tight for me to go with PCR...if something happens and say they lose the results.. at least I have enough time for a second test... I am a belt and suspender type... need a back up plan..

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Call Royal.  I read some verbage that if you absolutely can't get it done before your travels they will have testing available at the pier

I thought I read that somewhere also, but was assuming that only applied to cruises over the next few weeks where people, because of the short notice, would still be able to get the test before boarding.

I'll call Royal, but I don't have much faith in getting the correct answer.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mek said:

And this is the problem with pre cruise testing.  My cruise leaves on Sunday, November, 28.  I want to fly down at least one, maybe two days prior, but Thursday is Thanksgiving Day and I probably won't find anything open.  If I fly down on Saturday, that only leaves me one day - Friday to get tested and get results back. It shouldn't have to be this stressful.  

Testing needs to be made available at the pier.  This new requirement totally rules out leaving on Friday.

It's not free, but most major airports have on site testing. I would assume they wouldn't be closed on Thanksgiving as people are still flying that day but you can probably figure out where to call to check. The Orlando Airport has it, I would bet Miami probably does. So you could test before/after your flight. 

1 minute ago, smplybcause said:

It's not free, but most major airports have on site testing. I would assume they wouldn't be closed on Thanksgiving as people are still flying that day but you can probably figure out where to call to check. The Orlando Airport has it, I would bet Miami probably does. So you could test before/after your flight. 

Yes, the Miami airport has a testing site - here's the link:

https://news.miami-airport.com/covid-19-testing-available-daily-at-mia-starting-may-21/

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Myself and wife have tested at CVS in Dallas multiple times the last 3 months. Never cost a cent 

37 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Both Walgreens and CVS are free in VA.

Rite Aid also does the same thing.

12 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes, the Miami airport has a testing site - here's the link:

https://news.miami-airport.com/covid-19-testing-available-daily-at-mia-starting-may-21/

Thanks for the responses.  November is a long way off and so much could change by then.  If I didn't have to make final payment in two weeks I probably wouldn't be so ticked off about all of this.

As I haven't booked any flights, it's nice to see that they are open 24/7.

Edited by mek

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

Just an FYI, most airport tests run $150-250 per test and do not accept any form of insurance.

I paid my final cruise balance today for an early  November Symphony cruise.  No sooner than I completed that transaction did my mind begin spinning.... about the precruise COVID testing.  

I've had COVID.  Back in February.  It was really bad for me.  Then I was vaccinated (Pheizer).  I've had both shots.   

Will my test result be skewed because I've had COVID prior and may still have antibodies present?  The Health Department contact tracer told me (in February) that antibodies could be present in my system for months -- they simply don't know how long they'll last -- and that those antibodies would make any future testing appear "positive".  

It didn't matter before because we were vaccinated and Royal said vaccinated guests didn't have to test prior to cruise.  That changed now obviously - so now it's on my mind.  Any thoughts?  And yes, i know things will likely change 12 more times before November.  

4 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

I paid my final cruise balance today for an early  November Symphony cruise.  No sooner than I completed that transaction did my mind begin spinning.... about the precruise COVID testing.  

I've had COVID.  Back in February.  It was really bad for me.  Then I was vaccinated (Pheizer).  I've had both shots.   

Will my test result be skewed because I've had COVID prior and may still have antibodies present?  The Health Department contact tracer told me (in February) that antibodies could be present in my system for months -- they simply don't know how long they'll last -- and that those antibodies would make any future testing appear "positive".  

It didn't matter before because we were vaccinated and Royal said vaccinated guests didn't have to test prior to cruise.  That changed now obviously - so now it's on my mind.  Any thoughts?  And yes, i know things will likely change 12 more times before November.  

You will be fine the test doesn't look at antibodies it just looks for the virus.

Everyone that's been vaccinated has antibodies in some form or another.

Edited by mauraoel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mauraoel said:

You will be fine the test doesn't look at antibodies it just looks for the virus.

Thank you!  That is a relief.  We are driving from South Carolina to Miami  -- splitting it into two days.  I think we'll test locally in SC that Thursday, then drive down on Friday/Saturday, boarding the ship on Saturday.  At least that way we aren't scrambling with other passengers in Florida trying to quickly test before they board.  

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

RCI has protocols for your situation. I think they need some documentation showing you are a recovering COVID patient. 

Thank you!   

I'll try to poke around on their website to find those answers.   

1 minute ago, Sherri914 said:

Thank you!  That is a relief.  We are driving from South Carolina to Miami  -- splitting it into two days.  I think we'll test locally in SC that Thursday, then drive down on Friday/Saturday, boarding the ship on Saturday.  At least that way we aren't scrambling with other passengers in Florida trying to quickly test before they board.  

I have to get a test for the first time on Wednesday for my cruise on Saturday... My husband hated all the tests he had to get I am not looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, mauraoel said:

I have to get a test for the first time on Wednesday for my cruise on Saturday... My husband hated all the tests he had to get I am not looking forward to it.

The antigen test is way easier. You don’t have to do the all the way to the brain q-tip for that one. Most drug stores pass you the q-tip and you just swirl it in each nostril for 15 seconds about an inch in. If they do need to do the deep one, one trick is to hum while they’re doing it. It helps dull the weird sensation a bit.

FYI - Some testing centers require you drive up. We are cruising out of Seattle after flying in a day earlier and discovered that the CVS and Walgreen's testing in Seattle all require you to drive up. We won't have a car so we will get our test at home before flying out. Our Florida CVS and Walgreens offer free testing. CVS asks if you need the test for travel (it's one of the ways they can get the test to qualify for government funds to pay for the test.) 

19 hours ago, molly361 said:

They have that in Orlando as well and everyday on the news that state that the wait is hours long and everyday they close early due to overload.

The county opened a second testing site on the east side of town starting today at the Econ soccer complex.  The original testing site at Barnett Park/Fairgrounds is still open.  http://ocfl.net/EmergencySafety/Coronavirus/Testing.aspx

Edited by atricks

D__n, too many threads on this...all this angst is just pathetic considering what the airlines require.  Why can't cruises have the same.  This is just Shut The Front Door, Got dandruff, someof it itches STUPID!  And don't say flying isn't the same thing...yes it is.  Doesn't matter if it's a few hours or a few days, it only takes seconds to spread and contract the virus.  All these different rules are dopey.  Once someone takes off their mask for how ever long for whatever reason, you're done...it has escaped, what difference does it make if you are "actively" eating or suckin on a straw...it's out there.  It's hopeless!  So silly I am actually laughing right now.  I need a cruise...............🤪

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Sherri914 said:

Antibodies have no effect on these tests- they are looking for parts of the virus , which your immune system got rid of! 

It is GOOD for antibodies to be in your system- they are waiting for the virus to try and return and will get rid of it for you faster than ever. 

11 hours ago, MikeMSD said:

The antigen test is way easier. You don’t have to do the all the way to the brain q-tip for that one. Most drug stores pass you the q-tip and you just swirl it in each nostril for 15 seconds about an inch in. If they do need to do the deep one, one trick is to hum while they’re doing it. It helps dull the weird sensation a bit.

No antigen tests available within 100 mile + around us.  NYS seems to have not allowed them or something!