Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

24 minutes ago, cruise_critical said:

Just got an email from Princess with this blurb about the Dine My Way. So it's no trick, but an officially supported method it seems. Oh, it's also on the page: https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/dine-my-way/

image.png.c3224ea7d0c1d92940564499e602cc11.png

Thanks. Looks like the verbage has changed, a little.  That’s good for those who prefer a more TD experience. At least for your own group anyway. 

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Perhaps you are seeing the higher amount as it is in CAD which you likely booked your cruise in?  On board costs are always USD, unless an Australia-based voyage.

That said, if a guest uses their dining credit to go to Sabatini's, there is no remaining balance to use elsewhere (Sabi's costs less than CG, for example).

I just bit the bullet and added Princess Premier. Then I booked a dinner for me and my friend at Sabatinis (who I added as a travel companion earlier for booking dinners), and the dining credit was applied for both! 

hoping it sticks and there are no surprises. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

For ships where sabbatinis is only open for dinner (Crown Princess), are you able to order from Sabbatinis for room service in the afternoon? 

What ship has a Sabatini’s that is open for anything but dinner and full suite breakfast ?  Never heard of such a thing 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, memoak said:

What ship has a Sabatini’s that is open for anything but dinner and full suite breakfast ?  Never heard of such a thing 

I guess I heard it was open for breakfast so I wasn’t sure if it was open for lunch or if they had staff there in the afternoon for room service. 

41 minutes ago, memoak said:

Last month on the Coral Princess Sabatinis hosted a pop up Alfredo’s (pizza only)  at lunch a couple of times a week.  It was very well attended.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

I guess I heard it was open for breakfast so I wasn’t sure if it was open for lunch or if they had staff there in the afternoon for room service. 

That is a special breakfast services for guests booked in Suites.

• Like 1

I confess to not reading the whole thread but i see the gist of it is people are unhappy traditional dining is no longer available. May i ask how food has been since the restart? The menus posted for crown princess live thread looked good

28 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I confess to not reading the whole thread but i see the gist of it is people are unhappy traditional dining is no longer available. May i ask how food has been since the restart? The menus posted for crown princess live thread looked good

The beef tenderloin last night on the Discovery was so tender I was able to cut it with a fork

35 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Nice.  Hope this is a trend and not artificial tenderizing of a standard cut.

And I ordered it rare and that’s what I got pleasantly surprised. The only downside was the overly salted spinach 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

For the Crown Grill, will they pack my dessert to go? I tend to get full easily but hungry again an hour later. I’ve heard of others doing this, but not sure if it was an exception or ship specific. I’ll be on the Crown Princess. 

Yes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

For the Crown Grill, will they pack my dessert to go? I tend to get full easily but hungry again an hour later. I’ve heard of others doing this, but not sure if it was an exception or ship specific. I’ll be on the Crown Princess. 

Some ships allow it, others do not.  We’ve been told, they are not allowed to do that and will have RS deliver it to the room. Same story in the MDR.

We did not ask on the Crown at the Crown Grill.  We did ask this in the MDR and it was delivered to the room by RS.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Some ships allow it, others do not.  We’ve been told, they are not allowed to do that and will have RS deliver it to the room. Same story in the MDR.

We did not ask on the Crown at the Crown Grill.  We did ask this in the MDR and it was delivered to the room by RS.

That’s a good data point! 

I'd love to replicate TD, as I do love the idea of having the same waitstaff who can get to know us (and vice versa), but I can also see the value of having some flexibility if we wanted a different time (perhaps there's a show we want to catch or had a really late lunch or something) or to try the buffet or specialty dining here or there.  We're also traveling with sister in law and her friend so they may want to join us some nights but not others.

So I guess we'll have to just go with anytime dining, as much as I would love the same waitstaff on those days we do hit the dining room!

31 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

I'd love to replicate TD, as I do love the idea of having the same waitstaff who can get to know us (and vice versa), but I can also see the value of having some flexibility if we wanted a different time (perhaps there's a show we want to catch or had a really late lunch or something) or to try the buffet or specialty dining here or there.  We're also traveling with sister in law and her friend so they may want to join us some nights but not others.

So I guess we'll have to just go with anytime dining, as much as I would love the same waitstaff on those days we do hit the dining room!

You can arrange the TD and then just let them know if you have other plans and they will use "your" table to seat other guests for that timeslot.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You can arrange the TD and then just let them know if you have other plans and they will use "your" table to seat other guests for that timeslot.

Thank you.  I wasn't sure if that would be frowned upon or not :)

The dining preferences mention the speed of service, can these preferences be combined?  Can I have a more traditional dinning (same time and table) and have a faster experience?  Also, is there any chance they have figured out how to do a sort of "order ahead" option so that the waitstaff has my selections before we've even sat?  I might be interested in such a feature in the MDR but I would REALLY be interested in such a feature at somewhere like Gigi's/Alfredo's.

33 minutes ago, drwbrt said:

The dining preferences mention the speed of service, can these preferences be combined?  Can I have a more traditional dinning (same time and table) and have a faster experience?  Also, is there any chance they have figured out how to do a sort of "order ahead" option so that the waitstaff has my selections before we've even sat?  I might be interested in such a feature in the MDR but I would REALLY be interested in such a feature at somewhere like Gigi's/Alfredo's.

I don't think anyone looks at that attribute in the App.  No order ahead features.  If you want a speedy service, best to let your waiter know.  Some of them may be better than others at delivering on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drwbrt said:

Of course you can go to the Princess App>My Preferences > third page…dining pace and select.  However, as mentioned, I’m not sure this goes anywhere?  
Best to let your waiter know if you like a fast pace.  Definitely, Alfredo’s/Gigi’s you would just tell them your preference.

3 hours ago, metairiegal said:

Where on the app does it tell you which nights are the formal nights?

Once you get much closer to your cruise, the JourneyView Activities Timeline will show which portraits will be taken on each night, so the nights listing formal portraits will be formal night.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Of course you can go to the Princess App>My Preferences > third page…dining pace and select.  However, as mentioned, I’m not sure this goes anywhere?  
Best to let your waiter know if you like a fast pace.  Definitely, Alfredo’s/Gigi’s you would just tell them your preference.

I should have added earlier that one might not expect a fast pace at Alfredo's when busy as they are going to prepare and cook the pizzas in order.