Will the Jade make it to Africa?

Lvntrvl

From Costco's web site, it looks like 84% of the suites are sold for the Dec. 3rd sailing of the Jade. One would think the percentage would be higher with two months to go if most passengers thought it wasn't sailing. 

1 hour ago, DRWQ said:

From Costco's web site, it looks like 84% of the suites are sold for the Dec. 3rd sailing of the Jade. One would think the percentage would be lower with two months to go if most passengers thought it wasn't sailing. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, emmak8 said:

Is there anything definite about the January 26 Cape Town to Dubai sailing? NCL is still taking bookings.

It's unclear if the ship will make it to Cape town on the 12/3 sailing.

Despite the news that cruises have been OKed to resume, it still conflicts with the level 1 lockdown conditions. I have seen no official notice.

There has already been a change to the 1st cruise heading to Cape town so we will have to wait and see.

There's clearly been behind the scenes confirmation of it, given what Azamara and MSC have put it out. They're far too confident for it to just be an expectation based on a lower alert level. It all mirrors what happened in the UK and US where there were bans in place but which were leaked as being removed by the cruise companies before the official announcement. 

https://cruise-adviser.com/azamara-to-return-to-south-africa-this-winter/ 

What was the change to the 1st cruise? I haven't seen any posts about it. 

14 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

There's clearly been behind the scenes confirmation of it, given what Azamara and MSC have put it out. They're far too confident for it to just be an expectation based on a lower alert level. It all mirrors what happened in the UK and US where there were bans in place but which were leaked as being removed by the cruise companies before the official announcement. 

https://cruise-adviser.com/azamara-to-return-to-south-africa-this-winter/ 

What was the change to the 1st cruise? I haven't seen any posts about it. 

Israel got canceled.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aussie cruzer said:

Israel got canceled.

Ah, that's not such a surprise. But if the overall cruise is still going ahead, that's a good sign for South Africa.

I suspect the repositioning cruise may also lose some of the islands along the way, but that the cruise line will consider that a better option than cancelling the whole season. 

@mscdivina2016

I agree Steve; I was just passing on the "good" news  that had been assumed by others regarding the return of MSC to Durban and the follow-on assumption that NCL would therefore go to Cape Town.

But what about the Islands?   Is a 14 (or so) at sea cruise still the most likely outcome even if South Africa opens all ports?

Ok, so I can't comment on the repositioning cruise and whether ports will be open or not but perhaps the vaccinated only requirement of NCL will be its saving grace.

I was originally booked on a 14 nighter New Years cruise on MSC visiting Mozambique, Madagascar, La Reunion and Mauritius - it was cancelled last week but - and wait for the conspiracy theory implication - it was replaced with 4x 4 nighters to Mozambique and 1x 2 nighter to nowhere....all of which are much higher revenue producing.

I know La Reunion is French territory so it would be assumed that they would follow the mainland. I also know that Mauritius is allowing vaccinated tourists (however that doesn't suggest they may have a mental block against cruise ships).

Seychelles banned cruises outright in 2020 - not sure what the latest is there but even until my 14 nighter got cancelled it was never returned to the itinerary.

South African ports are open for cruises however - attached copy of the law that was enacted last Friday and needless to say I am now booked on the 21 December departure.

Awaiting now comments on the hourly announcements 🙂

Government Gazette - Cruises.pdf

• Thanks 1

@Blue Wave

Those on both of the Jade cruises are still waiting to find out just what is happening when, and if, the Jade leaves Dubai.

I suggest you tie in to the two Roll Calls for further information.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2743551-norwegian-jade-november-15-2021/page/53/?tab=comments#comment-62089958

AND

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2742039-ncl-jade-december-3-2021-dubai-capetown-cruise/page/15/?tab=comments#comment-62086181

• 2 weeks later...

The Jade is currently in Turkey on her way to Cape Town...I see the cancelled ports of call have just started.

Salalah,Oman was reported cancelled by CC member onboard.

Richards Bay ,South Africa Allegedly. cancelled as reported by CC member onboard.

Whats next ?

@aussie cruzer

Richards Bay ,South Africa Allegedly. cancelled as reported by CC member onboard.

Are you sure of this.   The post I saw was by someone who was on the Cape Town return trip AFTER the Dubai-Cape Town cruise.   It was due to Port availability.   They were to have 3 Days in Durban which the D-CT is NOT visiting.

16 hours ago, casofilia said:

@aussie cruzer

Are you sure of this.   The post I saw was by someone who was on the Cape Town return trip AFTER the Dubai-Cape Town cruise.   It was due to Port availability.   They were to have 3 Days in Durban which the D-CT is NOT visiting.

One wonders if the Jade will truly make it to Africa this year.  The news overnight of a concerning new COVID-19 variant in South Africa has sent the stock markets into a tailspin.  COVID cases in the country have been spiking in the last week.

Some international airlines are already canceling flights to/from South Africa as a result.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if NCL halts the Jade's transition to South Africa completely.   

• Like 1

There is a significant itinerary change posted in the role call, and that is before considering certain upcoming changes in South Africa due to todays news. The market maybe over reacting today, but leisure travel just took a major hit.  I'm booked Africa on the Jade in January of 2023 and I'm thinking even that is going to be iffy.