Will the Jade make it to Africa?

Lvntrvl

36 minutes ago, Africa or Bust said:

Today is supposed to be my "packing day" as we head out Monday for a few days early. Keep waiting for a cancel letter..

You might not get one.  

The sailing "will" happen, just not the original ports. I am betting on back to Greece.

If you look at the cruise on the website, they are still selling it with all the ports that we all know are closed.

Europe has its own COVID issues,.  If they don't want yet another ship in the Med with no ability to sell a Med itinerary last minute, their best option is to sail locally out of Dubai.  Of the three regions, Middle East currently has the best grip on COVID - though for how much longer we don't know.

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

Like Steve that is my guess; back to Athens with a massive refund, for those booked and travelling on the supposed Dubai-Cape Town; then more cruising in the Med ex-Athens.

Or round-trip out of Dubai to some Middle-eastern ports?

Think this needs a lot of planning etc, so might not be feasible at a very short notice.

22 minutes ago, emmak8 said:

Will the Jade make it to Africa? Maybe the Jade will make it but how will passengers get to the Jade when    flights are banned? 

How will those getting off the Jade get home?

There is really no way the Jade can sail to CT. All it takes is a positive case and they might not be able to get off. March 2020 all over.

• Like 1

I just went to NCL website to try to cancel excursions that I have purchased for the January 26th sailing from CPT. I'm just trying to accelerate the refund process because I think a cancellation is coming. I can't find a way to do it. Am I missing something or is a purchase of excursions like the Hotel California? 

2 hours ago, DRWQ said:

I just went to NCL website to try to cancel excursions that I have purchased for the January 26th sailing from CPT. I'm just trying to accelerate the refund process because I think a cancellation is coming. I can't find a way to do it. Am I missing something or is a purchase of excursions like the Hotel California? 

I believe any cancellations with NCL can only be done by calling in as there is n o option on the website

10 minutes ago, njkate said:

I believe any cancellations with NCL can only be done by calling in as there is n o option on the website

Thank you. I'm also curious about cancelling the cruise. I purchased it through VTG with full insurance and have paid in full. I don't want to suffer any cancellation fees or have my refund be reduced according to NCL's cancellation schedule. Can I do it with a full refund or do I need to wait until NCL cancels? Thanks again.

15 minutes ago, DRWQ said:

Thank you. I'm also curious about cancelling the cruise. I purchased it through VTG with full insurance and have paid in full. I don't want to suffer any cancellation fees or have my refund be reduced according to NCL's cancellation schedule. Can I do it with a full refund or do I need to wait until NCL cancels? Thanks again.

This is where you might be screwed.

The ship "will" sail. Probably not to Cape town, but it will sail and your sailing will not be cancelled. They can change ports.

You will need to wait till NCL gives you an official letter with that option to cancel.

20 minutes ago, DRWQ said:

Your last day to cancel without penalty has passed, so if you cancel now you might take a loss -75% unless you have cancel for any reason insurance, then it would be per the terms of your insurance.  It appears that you would get a full refund if you cancel within 60 days and the cruise eventually gets cancelled.  If you don't cancel and can't go because of govt restrictions, you would get fcc.

Based on past experience, if the cruise is cancelled after final payment you would possibly get additional FCC or a discount coupon.  

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

This is where you might be screwed.

The ship "will" sail. Probably not to Cape town, but it will sail and your sailing will not be cancelled. They can change ports.

You will need to wait till NCL gives you an official letter with that option to cancel.

<You will need to wait till NCL gives you an official letter with that option to cancel.>

Ouch! Is this likely to happen under the current circumstances? As I don't think they will be anywhere close to South Africa, can they substitute a return trip to the Med and penalize me for not going?

Thanks for your insights.

Best

45 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Your last day to cancel without penalty has passed, so if you cancel now you might take a loss -75% unless you have cancel for any reason insurance, then it would be per the terms of your insurance.  It appears that you would get a full refund if you cancel within 60 days and the cruise eventually gets cancelled.  If you don't cancel and can't go because of govt restrictions, you would get fcc.

Based on past experience, if the cruise is cancelled after final payment you would possibly get additional FCC or a discount coupon.  

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

1 minute ago, DRWQ said:

<You will need to wait till NCL gives you an official letter with that option to cancel.>

Ouch! Is this likely to happen under the current circumstances? As I don't think they will be anywhere close to South Africa, can they substitute a return trip to the Med and penalize me for not going?

Thanks for your insights.

Best

Yes it should happen. They will inform you of changes and offer a deal to go and an offer to cancel in some form.

Despite they can change ports, they did sell it as Africa. Hold tight and you should be fine.

10 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Yes it should happen. They will inform you of changes and offer a deal to go and an offer to cancel in some form.

Despite they can change ports, they did sell it as Africa. Hold tight and you should be fine.

Thank you again. I guess I'll have to wait to see what happens.

Best

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DRWQ said:

Ouch again! I was thinking a full refund and not FFC would happen.

Thanks for responding.

Full refund is possible if NCL cancels. Penalty if you cancel and the cruise still goes as scheduled.  At this point, anything can happen.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Full refund is possible if NCL cancels. Penalty if you cancel and the cruise still goes as scheduled.  At this point, anything can happen.

Excellent points which will prevent me from doing something stupid. You guys are the best!

@DRWQ

We were on the Sprit last year Dubai-Cape Town- Singapore.   The first thing was that Singapore was changed to Athens.   I cannot remember the exact details but we were given a choice, to continue or cancel and each had its own "benefits".

When on board going from Dubai to Cape Town most of the ports were closed to us; again we were offered a very good option on that cruise.

Then the Cape Town to Athens cruise was cancelled and again we were offered an excellent option.

While it took a while to sort out all the offers it was well worth the wait.

I suggest you don't do anything hasty and wait for NCL to sort out what to offer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@DRWQ

We were on the Sprit last year Dubai-Cape Town- Singapore.   The first thing was that Singapore was changed to Athens.   I cannot remember the exact details but we were given a choice, to continue or cancel and each had its own "benefits".

When on board going from Dubai to Cape Town most of the ports were closed to us; again we were offered a very good option on that cruise.

Then the Cape Town to Athens cruise was cancelled and again we were offered an excellent option.

While it took a while to sort out all the offers it was well worth the wait.

I suggest you don't do anything hasty and wait for NCL to sort out what to offer.

Thanks for the excellent advice. Best