UK Aug/ Sep cruises - Advice info please (esp. on excursion policy)

debsjc

Hello all
Just back today from P&O Britannia Seacation, and although it was good to cruise again we were not too impressed with P&O (especially the dining)
Looking to take another UK cruise ex Southampton in September, and would like to go back to Princess

Could anyone help with some info please 
If we take a UK routing are we allowed to get off and do our own thing in Scotland, Northern Ireland (not ships excursion)?
How have your found the dining on Princess post covid .... good or bad experience?
What is the current position with masks on board? 

Thank you 🙂 

I would suggest reading the covid protocols and faq's on princess.com.  Then see if you have some specific questions.

Dining reports are largely good from Majestic sailing to Alaska.  I have not read much about the Regal cruises out of UK, but you could look into some reports/threads.  Hopefully, some of the guests who have sailed will give you some feedback.

• Like 1

You can find at lot of the answers here on the Princess site

1. Will I be able to go ashore independently?

For the time being, you will only be able to go ashore on shore excursions that are researched and organized by Princess Cruises. Port transfer and shore experience operators will be subject to new policies and procedures to reflect the latest approved guidance in line with our on board protocols, and will comply with all local guidance relating to social distancing and face masks.

This decision has been made in the interest of health and safety of our guests and crew, and the places we visit.

Guests wishing to go ashore independently will not be permitted to do so at this stage.

1. Will I have to wear a face mask?

Guests are required to wear a face mask, with no exceptions, in specific areas including the terminal, when moving around indoors on board, and when seated in the theatre. You’re free to remove your mask when seated elsewhere around the ship, when out on deck and when exercising. We’d always recommend guests wash their mask daily and choose a good quality, ideally medical grade, standard. Please note that visors and face shields will not be accepted as a substitute for a face mask.

On the dining experience, we were on the first Regal Princess cruise at the end of July and found that dining was great from the main dining room, Alfredos' Pizzeria, Crown Grill speciality dining, snacks from the International Cafe and lido deck plus Afternoon Tea.

• Like 1

Thanks, I have looked at the FAQ, but I have always had the best advice from my fellow cruise critic posters, so hopefully someone might be able to help
I could write an essay on the Britannia!

• Like 1

We are due on Regal in September and the current rules are that you can only disembark the ship in ports if you are on a Princess excursion and masks are required to be worn when walking around the interior of the ship and in the theatre. Of course these might change at anytime but I very much doubt it we cannot understand why we cannot get off in Liverpool or Belfast when everyone is double vaccinated and no restrictions are needed. Being cynical I dont think it will change because Princess dont want you to get off independently they want you to book their extortionate excursion prices.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, debsjc said:

How have your found the dining on Princess post covid .... good or bad experience?

Lots of pictures, comnents and videos available on other social media platforms.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We are due on Regal in September and the current rules are that you can only disembark the ship in ports if you are on a Princess excursion and masks are required to be worn when walking around the interior of the ship and in the theatre. Of course these might change at anytime but I very much doubt it we cannot understand why we cannot get off in Liverpool or Belfast when everyone is double vaccinated and no restrictions are needed. Being cynical I dont think it will change because Princess dont want you to get off independently they want you to book their extortionate excursion prices.

That is a real shame 
I see Celebrity have lifted the 'ship's excursions only' restriction for double vaccinated guests in UK ports, shame the others have not done the same 

• Like 1

Just now, debsjc said:

That is a real shame 
I see Celebrity have lifted the 'ship's excursions only' restriction for double vaccinated guests in UK ports, shame the others have not done the same 

As this is a recent thing on Celebrity others might follow but dont hold your breath.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Just be aware that currently the crew are about to get their second vaccinations on Regal Princess. This was cited as the main difference between the initial Princess US and UK health protocols as the US crew are fully vaccinated. However, the onboard protocols are now becoming more aligned so unlikely to change e.g. on face masks.

Edited by dides

23 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I'm likewise booked for UK Staycation, and very disappointed that we are not allowed to do our own thing in Belfast & Portland.  This seems very unfair as everyone on the cruise will be fully vaccinated.  Total agree that Princess Excursions are very poor value for money.

Looking at the Princess web site I've noticed different policies for UK Staycation Cruises and Cruises Elsewhere.  With UK Staycation Cruises we are restricted to their own excursions (see https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/uk-cruises/ ), but travellers elsewhere are not (see https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/covid-19-guest-protocols/ )

I wonder how other people feel about this.  TBH I’d probably not have booked the Staycation Cruise if I’d know of this restriction.  Is there anything I and others can do?

Edited by Mrk2868
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrk2868 said:

wonder how other people feel about this.  TBH I’d probably not have booked the Staycation Cruise if I’d know of this restriction.  Is there anything I and others can do?

The Staycation cruises have always had this restriction so no recompense. You maybe can transfer cruise to another in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrk2868 said:

I'm likewise booked for UK Staycation, and very disappointed that we are not allowed to do our own thing in Belfast & Portland.  This seems very unfair as everyone on the cruise will be fully vaccinated.  Total agree that Princess Excursions are very poor value for money.

Looking at the Princess web site I've noticed different policies for UK Staycation Cruises and Cruises Elsewhere.  With UK Staycation Cruises we are restricted to their own excursions (see https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/uk-cruises/ ), but travellers elsewhere are not (see https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/covid-19-guest-protocols/ )

I wonder how other people feel about this.  TBH I’d probably not have booked the Staycation Cruise if I’d know of this restriction.  Is there anything I and others can do?

I think it's the wrong policy for UK double jabbed guests. You could catch a train to Portland and walk around, so not sure why the restriction on cruise ships.
If I could make the dates Celebrity are offering I would pick them because they don't have this restriction, but unfortunately I don't think I can.
Come on Princess, lift the 'ships excursions only' restriction on UK cruises. 

34 minutes ago, debsjc said:

I think it's the wrong policy for UK double jabbed guests. You could catch a train to Portland and walk around, so not sure why the restriction on cruise ships.
If I could make the dates Celebrity are offering I would pick them because they don't have this restriction, but unfortunately I don't think I can.
Come on Princess, lift the 'ships excursions only' restriction on UK cruises. 

The point is that every single passenger onboard will have been tested immediately before boarding, thus making the ship a covid free zone.  The moment you allow passengers to go ashore independently,  the "sterile " zone is broken, as passengers may contract the virus whilst ashore,  hence the restriction.

You may not agree with the policy,  but as it was clearly stated that independent shore visits were not permitted when you booked,  you have no comeback. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

The point is that every single passenger onboard will have been tested immediately before boarding, thus making the ship a covid free zone.  The moment you allow passengers to go ashore independently,  the "sterile " zone is broken, as passengers may contract the virus whilst ashore,  hence the restriction.

You may not agree with the policy,  but as it was clearly stated that independent shore visits were not permitted when you booked,  you have no comeback. 

I beg to differ.  There was no mention of independent shore visits not being permitted when we booked.  I’m sure I would have picked it up, plus I have looked look through the literature from Imagine Cruising who have booked Regal Princess in its entirety for this particular Staycation.  This policy only came to light when I went to the Princess Cruises Website.

Whilst I accept there is probably a higher risk to independent shore visits, even the organised trips come with an element of risk.  Especially as number of them involve visiting places where the general (untested) public are.  So there is always a risk. 

I would probably not object so much, if the Princess Cruises excursions were better value.  For example 100US$ (£72) for a 25 mile coach trip to the Bovington Tank Museum, whose entry costs £14 pounds.  I could get a private taxi for that price!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

I haven't booked, because luckily I read on cruise critic the shore excursion policy first! 

57 minutes ago, Mrk2868 said:  

I would probably not object so much, if the Princess Cruises excursions were better value.  For example 100US$ (£72) for a 25 mile coach trip to the Bovington Tank Museum, whose entry costs £14 pounds.  I could get a private taxi for that price!

Princess have a price guarantee on their shore trips. If you find a similar shore trip at a cheaper price they will batch the price.

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

The problem with this logic though is that they are offering excursions that ultimately amount to not remaining in a bubble of cruise passengers only.  At one point they had an excursion where they would bus you to an outlet mall and leave you for 7 hours collect you and return you to the ship.  This option is gone now so I'm guessing it wasn't popular, or they heard people like me moaning about it 😛

They are still offering a trip to the Titanic Museum where they will leave you for 2 hours - they can't enforce that you remain in a Regal bubble so then the lack of going ashore independently starts to look a bit suss!  I've booked the 9th Sept with stops in Belfast and Liverpool knowing we would be unlikely to get off the ship under the current restrictions.  I feel moderately confident it will change by the time we get to departure, there isn't a way to justify it with the changes in the UK that make any sense.  As I don't plan to get off, they will have to feed me all day 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrk2868 said:

I beg to differ.  There was no mention of independent shore visits not being permitted when we booked.  I’m sure I would have picked it up, plus I have looked look through the literature from Imagine Cruising who have booked Regal Princess in its entirety for this particular Staycation.  This policy only came to light when I went to the Princess Cruises Website.

Whilst I accept there is probably a higher risk to independent shore visits, even the organised trips come with an element of risk.  Especially as number of them involve visiting places where the general (untested) public are.  So there is always a risk. 

I don’t think Imagine Cruising have booked the entire ship for this cruise. And they misinformed you regarding the excursions. See the roll call. 
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2778613-seacation-regal-princess-5-september-2021/

Edited by Gettingwarmer

3 hours ago, Mrk2868 said:

I’m sure I would have picked it up, plus I have looked look through the literature from Imagine Cruising

I think that might have been a mistake - Imagine Cruising have, let's say, somewhat of a reputation! 

10 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I don’t think Imagine Cruising have booked the entire ship for this cruise. And they misinformed you regarding the excursions. See the roll call. 
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2778613-seacation-regal-princess-5-september-2021/

Thank you for the roll call link.  I did not realise that existed.  Very Useful.  The cruise is actually a later one on 16th September. 

As far as I can tell Imagine Cruising have booked the whole boat. It's always shown on the Princess website as not available to book directly with Princess.

Edited by Mrk2868

1 minute ago, Mrk2868 said:

Thank you for the roll call link I did not realise that existed.  Very Useful.  The cruise is actually a later one on 16th September. 

As far as I can tell Imagine Cruising have booked the whole boat. It's always shown on the Princess website as not available to book directly with Princess.

I’m sorry I got the wrong cruise, I was just going on your ports of call. 

On 8/13/2021 at 3:06 PM, Alcairns said:

Princess have a price guarantee on their shore trips. If you find a similar shore trip at a cheaper price they will batch the price.

I think this only applies if you could actually book and take that similar trip.

However with the Princess only excursions allowed, you could not do that.

I am

22 minutes ago, caribill said:

I think this only applies if you could actually book and take that similar trip.

However with the Princess only excursions allowed, you could not do that.

I am sorry I was referring to the two posters who commented on the price of Princess Shore trips. 

On 8/13/2021 at 2:39 PM, wowzz said:

The policy makes no sense, because the shore excursion is not going to be a 'sterile zone'
Once at for example a museum, the cruise ships guests will be mixing with other members of the public, eating in the safe cafe, using the same loos, etc etc