Carnival Revoking Exemptions for Unvaxed 12 and Up

AtoZgirl

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

So interesting to see protocols tighten when just a few months ago all the anti-vaxxers insisted that the lines couldn’t mandate vaccines. It would be a HIPPA violation and they would be sued immediately . That sure as heck didn’t happen as most of us predicted . Boy, were they wrong. Going to be a long time ….. 

HIPPA doesn't mean much in the Bahamas or Caribbean or any other country.

• Like 2

Ironically, several posters here who are demanding 100% vaccinated cruises and proclaiming that they think Carnival's 95% policy was terrible have already sailed since start-up or have cruises booked in the near future - thereby confirming that they were actually okay with Carnival's policies. 😏

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I really wish we would stop trying to lay blame on each other. Here's my thought....it is NO LONGER a question of IF you will get Covid but WHEN. The virus is mutating (as viruses do) and the goal is trying to ensure that your body is able to fight it off enough to prevent you from ending up in the morgue.

And these kinds of hypothetical comments which don't have facts to back them up are nothing more than noise.

This

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

Correct, testing positive and still able to spread.

Even if it is "100% vaccinated", don't be surprised if masking remains in place or tightens even further.

I am coming to the point that things don't really surprise me anymore. Bizarre rules the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

Will they still blame the unvaccinated when their 100% vaccinated cruise still has people getting sick at the same rate? 

Bet you a million dollars if they had a 100% Unvaccinated cruise out of Florida you’d see a whole new level of outbreak and higher level of severe illness on board. It would be a disaster in the making . Vaccinated are not getting sick at the same rate as the unvaccinated are 2 to 4 times more likely to catch Covid. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

HIPPA doesn't mean much in the Bahamas or Caribbean or any other country.

Correct , the point I was trying to make was that between Carnival, the CDC, and the island ports was that the unvaccinated aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. Especially unvaxxed adults. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tm_aw_love said:

It already happened, but nobody wants to talk about it. 

NCL Encore is in Orange status on the CDC page, meaning that even on a 100% vaccinated cruise there have been confirmed cases. 

Orange isn't necessarily what you think it is.  It could be 1-2 covid cases.  It could be cases of flu-like illness/covid negative.  It could be new crew in quarantine or waiting for vaccine effective period- this seems to be why a lot of crew-only ships are orange.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jelly_Toast said:

It feels like way too many people don't even know what HIPAA is.

It doesn't mean they can't ask/require medical information.  It means if they have it they can't share it willy-nilly without consent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quattrohead said:

In July during startup, all the cruise companies wanted to fill the ships with top dollar pax to try and makeup some money again, perfect business decision. Unfortunately, delta version has changed the landscape again. The Bahamas new rules that include all the "private" islands has cemented the 100% vax rule. Being able to take your kids on a cruise for the next several months seems unlikely.

Personally I finally decided to get the vax due to the quickly rising cases and the fact we now know so much more about the vaccines. Also it has become inevitable we will need it to live a full life for now.

I choose the Pfizer vax.

Edit to add happy coincidence -

On August 23, 2021, the FDA approved the first COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine has been known as the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, and will now be marketed as Comirnaty, for the prevention of COVID-19 disease in individuals 16 years of age and older. The vaccine also continues to be available under emergency use authorization (EUA), including for individuals 12 through 15 years of age and for the administration of a third dose in certain immunocompromised individuals.

good for you! One of my adult sons finally got the Pfizer vaccine last week. He went in for a physical and his doctor recommended it. I’ve been recommending it to him for awhile, but I guess his doctor convinced him.  Hopefully, with FDA approval, more people will feel

comfortable getting the vaccine.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

good for you! One of my adult sons finally got the Pfizer vaccine last week. He went in for a physical and his doctor recommended it. I’ve been recommending it to him for awhile, but I guess his doctor convinced him.  Hopefully, with FDA approval, more people will feel

comfortable getting the vaccine.

With the approval, the military will now be required to be vaccinated.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, arkaine23 said:

Orange isn't necessarily what you think it is.  It could be 1-2 covid cases.  It could be cases of flu-like illness/covid negative.  It could be new crew in quarantine or waiting for vaccine effective period- this seems to be why a lot of crew-only ships are orange.

This is not entirely correct.

Per the CDC Website I am referring to:

"Orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation."

This clearly means that there are positives, 1 or 2, maybe. But not negative. 

The key point is that people arguing that 100% vaccinated means no COVID onboard, is an unreasonable expectation. 

• Like 1

The bottom line is that fully vaccinated people can and do carry Covid without symptoms and are able to spread it just as easily as the unvaccinated. I believe that Carnival is fully aware that there will be some spread on ships but prefer it to be among vaccinated cruisers that have an excellent chance of getting through without many complications. In other words they are protecting people from dying after cruising with them. I just got off of the Horizon on Saturday and the experience was not bad. Cruisers (with the exception of some gamblers (drinking and smoking) were very good about wearing masks and protecting each other. The ship was only carrying 2500+ cruisers and there were times when we were crowded into venues like comedy shows but 99% of people still wore masks. People were super respectful of walking around with masks and only taking them off when fully seated at tables to eat. We only got off of the ship in Amber Cove (masks were required when walking around shopping area) and we went to the pool there and enjoyed the day out. Hopefully there will be minimal spread from the first cruise requiring vaccination and testing before boarding. Cruising will only be back if we respect each other and the rules that are put in place to keep us safe. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, tm_aw_love said:

This is not entirely correct.

Per the CDC Website I am referring to:

"Orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation."

This clearly means that there are positives, 1 or 2, maybe. But not negative. 

The key point is that people arguing that 100% vaccinated means no COVID onboard, is an unreasonable expectation. 

Reported means they can't prove it isn't covid, not that they proved it was. If testing is inconclusive it defaults to covid.

16 minutes ago, tm_aw_love said:

Totally agree. Am vaccinated and fully expect there to be cases when I sail. HOWEVER - I don't expect people to be dying. 

• Like 2

Just now, BlerkOne said:

Reported means they can't prove it isn't covid, not that they proved it was. If testing is inconclusive it defaults to covid.

I will simply state again, regardless of % vaccinated, anybody that expects ZERO COVID onboard, has an unreasonable expectation. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I would estimate in 99.99% of cases, if a person is vaccinated, symptoms would be minor like allergies or a cold. There would not be a need what-so-ever to test them.

Glad the experts don't agree.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I would estimate in 99.99% of cases, if a person is vaccinated, symptoms would be minor like allergies or a cold. There would not be a need what-so-ever to test them.

Its higher than that, but vaccinated hospitalized seems below 5%.  CDC not exactly tracking the mild breakthroughs.

Edited by arkaine23

1 hour ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

Correct, testing positive and still able to spread.

Even if it is "100% vaccinated", don't be surprised if masking remains in place or tightens even further.

I don't expect masks to tighten even further. Statistically speaking, you are less likely to have a severe medical crisis if vaccinated vs. unvaccinated. I think masks will remain until there is no longer a public emergency.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

If by cases, you mean total passengers, I suspect it would be pretty close. Probably closer to 99.5% but still nothing that would shut down the cruise industry again.

If you mean passengers with breakthrough cases, the numbers aren't going to be that good but you wouldn't expect more than a few hundred breakthrough cases on any given cruise so it still isn't likely to be too much of an issue.

15 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I don't expect masks to tighten even further. Statistically speaking, you are less likely to have a severe medical crisis if vaccinated vs. unvaccinated. I think masks will remain until there is no longer a public emergency.

With the ever-growing population of the world, it would be good if masks became a thing for all cultures when it comes to someone with symptoms of an illness containing their pathogens for the good of society.

This is a scratch on the surface of being responsible to care for ourselves as a species more than ourselves as individuals.  We have a long way to go at taking better care of the environment we live in, as the species soley responsible for the well-being of the world. 

Edited by arkaine23

As one who is vaccinated, I am fearful of infecting someone who is non-vaccinated.  I know of a case where the daughter was vaccinated, but a carrier of the virus.  Unfortunately, her mom was not vaccinated and was infected.  Her mom did not make it.  The guilt the daughter feels is immeasurable.

Yes, the vaccinated can get Covid and yes we can spread the virus.  Best to get the booster and mask up.

• Like 2