Birth certificate with picture drivers license

barbatkins

10 hours ago, funinthesun1964 said:

That is a  good question. I didn't even think about this. Our passports expired and since they are taking so long to get in now, I thought I could just cruise with DL and BC.  Of course, BC will have maiden name and DL will have married name.  I don't have a marriage license/certificate. Now what?

Whatever jurisdiction you got married in will have your marriage license/certificate on file. You would need to contact them to get it. 

16 hours ago, DEL67 said:

I sailed on the Miracle earlier this month.  Since ny passport renewal is “in process” I used my birth certificate and drivers license.  The rep who was checking ids and vaccination certificates was concerned because the name on my birth certificate does not match my married name even though my maiden name is now my middle name.  Luckily I brought my marriage certificate which resolved the issue.  

I do not know if the rep was new or whether I really needed my marriage certificate.

While I've heard of people saying that their marriage certificate wasn't checked - I do think Carnival says you need to bring it. How will they know that the person on the driver's license and the person on the birth certificate (who have different names) are the same person without a bridging document?

17 hours ago, dinoroger said:

Was on the Vista 8/14 for closed loop from Galveston, TX. Only had drivers license and birth certificate. Only needed the birth certificate on leaving/returning port.

the only thing you need to get off and on the ship (and through the port's "customs") is your sail and sign card. It is actually recommended to leave your travel documents in the safe in your room. If you need to stay or miss the ship, they empty the safe and it will be on the pier waiting for you with your luggage.

Before we got passports in 2008, I always brought my marriage certificate with me as my birth certificate, obviously, has my maiden name. I also do not use my maiden name as my middle name, I use my actual middle name. I also believe that a marriage certificate is what you can use, not a marriage license. It is so much easier since then to have passports. I realize the wait times now to get them is a really long time, but if you have time get yours.

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Whatever jurisdiction you got married in will have your marriage license/certificate on file. You would need to contact them to get it. 

While I've heard of people saying that their marriage certificate wasn't checked - I do think Carnival says you need to bring it. How will they know that the person on the driver's license and the person on the birth certificate (who have different names) are the same person without a bridging document?

I went to look on the Carnival Web Site, under What to Bring? then FAQ's? and it never says anything about bring a marriage license or certificate with a Birth Certificate and Drivers License.  There is a section devoted to this subject and I red through the entire section

6 minutes ago, funinthesun1964 said:

I went to look on the Carnival Web Site, under What to Bring? then FAQ's? and it never says anything about bring a marriage license or certificate with a Birth Certificate and Drivers License.  There is a section devoted to this subject and I red through the entire section

That's because they assume your birth certificate name matches your DL name.

If you change your name legally to Joe Schmoe, and that is what your DL says, and your BC says you were born "Dave Crave", you need to provide the link between the two.

2 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

the only thing you need to get off and on the ship (and through the port's "customs") is your sail and sign card. It is actually recommended to leave your travel documents in the safe in your room. If you need to stay or miss the ship, they empty the safe and it will be on the pier waiting for you with your luggage.

I have personally experienced that some ports do require you to have some sort of photo ID, and the S&S card is not enough.  A photocopy of your passport may be enough, but I just use my DL, since it is in my wallet anyway.

If you get off at a private island like HMC, sure, you only need a S&S card.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

That's because they assume your birth certificate name matches your DL name.

If you change your name legally to Joe Schmoe, and that is what your DL says, and your BC says you were born "Dave Crave", you need to provide the link between the two.

I do not believe they are assuming this. How many million women in the United States have been married and are using their husbands' surname? 

1 hour ago, funinthesun1964 said:

Well it does say this about names matching:

It is important that the guest's full name (first name and last name) on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest's non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

So, I guess they don't spell out anything about the cruise name not matching the birth certificate explicitly. But, I wouldn't travel with a proof of citizenship in a different name and not bring proof that that is actually mine and show my name change. 

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Well it does say this about names matching:

It is important that the guest's full name (first name and last name) on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest's non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

So, I guess they don't spell out anything about the cruise name not matching the birth certificate explicitly. But, I wouldn't travel with a proof of citizenship in a different name and not bring proof that that is actually mine and show my name change. 

That talks about a difference between what is on the ticket and what is on the photo ID, it says nothing about the birth certificate. It is always better to err on the side of caution and bring it, as we did when we were using DL/BC, but it is rarely asked for. 

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I have personally experienced that some ports do require you to have some sort of photo ID, and the S&S card is not enough.  A photocopy of your passport may be enough, but I just use my DL, since it is in my wallet anyway.

If you get off at a private island like HMC, sure, you only need a S&S card.

I usually have my wallet with my driver's license too, but never my passport or birth certificates for my sons. I wouldn't want it stolen or lost on an excursion/beach trip.

I, too, am concerned that my passport may not be back from renewal before my Nov cruise.  It is closed loop -- I get that -- so birth certificate and DL is enough for the cruise itself.

I have not been able to find requirements at specific ports.

- Amber Cove DR

- Grand Turk Island

Without a passport, can you visit these ports?

13 hours ago, highcorral25 said:

I, too, am concerned that my passport may not be back from renewal before my Nov cruise.  It is closed loop -- I get that -- so birth certificate and DL is enough for the cruise itself.

I have not been able to find requirements at specific ports.

- Amber Cove DR

- Grand Turk Island

Without a passport, can you visit these ports?

Yes you can. 

17 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

That talks about a difference between what is on the ticket and what is on the photo ID, it says nothing about the birth certificate. It is always better to err on the side of caution and bring it, as we did when we were using DL/BC, but it is rarely asked for. 

Yes, I know. That's what I said in my post. But bringing a birth certificate as proof of citizenship is mentioned in the same section as photo ID. It's a logical conclusion that having a birth certificate with a different name that the name on the ticket is also possible to cause issues. 

On 8/24/2021 at 11:38 PM, funinthesun1964 said:

That is a  good question. I didn't even think about this. Our passports expired and since they are taking so long to get in now, I thought I could just cruise with DL and BC.  Of course, BC will have maiden name and DL will have married name.  I don't have a marriage license/certificate. Now what?

They expect that.  We always carry a copy of our marriage license just to be sure but they never ask for it.

On 8/25/2021 at 12:03 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

Agree, we were once unexpectedly stopped from leaving Nassau at their immigration gates because we had no driver's license.  They ended up asking for some information and then verified our information using a very long printed passenger list. 

4 hours ago, Islandhop9 said:

Agree, we were once unexpectedly stopped from leaving Nassau at their immigration gates because we had no driver's license.  They ended up asking for some information and then verified our information using a very long printed passenger list. 

One of the docks at key west is in a military area. They tell you several times before you leave the ship that you aren’t getting back into the military area to board without a photo ID with you.