Birth certificate with picture drivers license

barbatkins

6 minutes ago, barbatkins said:

Just checking to be sure people without passport can board with DL and original birth certificate 

Want to be sure this hasn’t changed

thanks

yes that is correct.   A certifiied copy of your BC and a valid DL will get you on the ship

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Depends.  What is your itinerary?

It does not depend.  All closed loop cruises you can use that.  I do it every time and we are fine.  Yes, if you get left behind you behind the 8 ball but it still works.

21 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

It does not depend.  All closed loop cruises you can use that.  I do it every time and we are fine.  Yes, if you get left behind you behind the 8 ball but it still works.

as long as closed loop, which wasn't part of the original question. if you get left behind because you have covid, you have time to get a passport.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

That is correct but your response was wrong.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

Cole is correct , your response was wrong. 

Edited by tallnthensome

53 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

There are some destinations that require passports even for cruise pax.  I don't remember them off hand, maybe Panama or in that area.  But the usual itineraries do not require passports.

EDIT: From Carnival.com:

For cruises that visit Martinique, guests going ashore are required to carry a valid, unexpired passport. .  

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

11 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

There are some destinations that require passports even for cruise pax.  I don't remember them off hand, maybe Panama or in that area.  But the usual itineraries do not require passports.

For cruises that visit Martinique, guests going ashore are required to carry a valid, unexpired passport. .  

When we sailed on the Paradise to Cuba, a passport and a VISA was required.  

20 hours ago, bingomamma19 said:

yes that is correct.   A certifiied copy of your BC and a valid DL will get you on the ship

The birth certificate can be a photocopy. It does not need to be the original, and it does not need to be a certified copy or a notarized copy or any of that. 

18 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I did a closed loop cruise that included Martinique.  You only needed a passport if you wanted to get off the ship there, not for the cruise itself.

Just now, OhioJourneys said:

If you go into your cruise manager you will be able to see documentation requirements for your cruise.  As a general rule, either a passport card or book is required for U.S. citizens but there are some exceptions.

A passport card serves no more purpose than a birth certificate with drivers license. The passport card is not valid for international travel by air. 

That being said, as long as you're not going to Cuba or Martinique then you do not need a passport for closed loop cruises from the US, as long as you're a US citizen. They are recommended, but not required. Many people simply use a copy of the birth certificate with a drivers license. 

1 hour ago, teknoge3k said:

A passport card serves no more purpose than a birth certificate with drivers license. The passport card is not valid for international travel by air. 

That being said, as long as you're not going to Cuba or Martinique then you do not need a passport for closed loop cruises from the US, as long as you're a US citizen. They are recommended, but not required. Many people simply use a copy of the birth certificate with a drivers license. 

Right now it costs $575 or so to replace a naturalization certificate, which some people have to use, such as my DW. When I found out how much it was I started looking at getting a passport card to avoid taking something so valuable and we ended up getting EDL's, since Vermont is a state that issues those. So the card is more durable than a document and it allows you to present one document instead of two.

I sailed on the Miracle earlier this month.  Since ny passport renewal is “in process” I used my birth certificate and drivers license.  The rep who was checking ids and vaccination certificates was concerned because the name on my birth certificate does not match my married name even though my maiden name is now my middle name.  Luckily I brought my marriage certificate which resolved the issue.  

I do not know if the rep was new or whether I really needed my marriage certificate.

5 hours ago, DEL67 said:

I sailed on the Miracle earlier this month.  Since ny passport renewal is “in process” I used my birth certificate and drivers license.  The rep who was checking ids and vaccination certificates was concerned because the name on my birth certificate does not match my married name even though my maiden name is now my middle name.  Luckily I brought my marriage certificate which resolved the issue.  

I do not know if the rep was new or whether I really needed my marriage certificate.

That is a  good question. I didn't even think about this. Our passports expired and since they are taking so long to get in now, I thought I could just cruise with DL and BC.  Of course, BC will have maiden name and DL will have married name.  I don't have a marriage license/certificate. Now what?

59 minutes ago, funinthesun1964 said:

That is a  good question. I didn't even think about this. Our passports expired and since they are taking so long to get in now, I thought I could just cruise with DL and BC.  Of course, BC will have maiden name and DL will have married name.  I don't have a marriage license/certificate. Now what?

People suggest bringing documents that "bridge" the differences between documents such as names etc.

The marriage cerificate is what helped the other poster resolve the issue when questioned.

Not sure what would have happened if they didn't have the bridging document.

Birthday's would match , but is that enough?

Edited by Sailin_Pirate

1 hour ago, funinthesun1964 said:

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

9 hours ago, funinthesun1964 said:

I don't have a marriage license/certificate.

You can get a certified copy from wherever you registered your marriage license, usually.  If in the US, go to the county/city website and poke around to find it.  If you got married overseas, check for similar at the national, state/provincial, or city/county/shire level.

10 hours ago, funinthesun1964 said:

In Seattle (Alaska bound cruises), check-in agents would look to see if your birth certificate's first name and middle name (or maiden name as the new middle name) AND birth date all matched with your current driver's license.  If a check-in agent is unsure it is always referred to a supervisor.  Pier staff want to get you on the ship, and unless it is a hard stop issue, everything allowable will be done to make it happen.