Unvaccinated kids under 12 at Amber Cove/Mahogany Bay

Melcoug

**Asking for a friend we are traveling with, my kids are fully vaxxed.**

Carnival's website is not clear regarding exactly which ports unvaccinated kids may leave the ship if not on a Bubble Tour. The Covid-19 protocols page states that unvaccinated may go ashore on their own when stopping in private ports of call "like Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays". Does anyone know if the cruise developed port areas right off the piers at Amber Cove or Mahogany Bay are open to unvaccinated kids under 12? Since both areas are restricted to ship passengers, it seems like not difference between the port area and the outdoor areas of the ship.

If anyone has sailed recently to either and can confirm yay/nay it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

No for Amber Cove when we were there. Just bubble tour(s).

Thank you.

56 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

As Amber Cove and Mahogany Bay are not private islands, bubble tours are required.

Since each of those ports of call has access-controlled, cruise line developed port areas it's not clear from Carnival's wording if they are included or not.  I get they aren't private island by a traditional definition. However, Carnival's website specifically says "private ports of call" not private islands. It seems like staying within the port-controlled area could effectively be a "private port of call", the only real difference being that it would be easy to leave the port area and take part in independent excursions. It would be nice to let kids off to enjoy the pool or beach, but then they would need to monitor everyone leaving. That's why I was asking for the the experience of those who have recently been.  

32 minutes ago, madamerkf said:

It will say bubble tour. You are also not automatically going to be able to sail with them. You have to apply for and be given an exemption. All the kids programs are also closed. 

Yes, our friends are very aware. They have 5 people in 2 cabins and only one is under 12, so I think their chances or being granted the exemption are good.  

Edited by Melcoug

1 minute ago, Melcoug said:

Thank you.

Since each of those ports of call has access-controlled, cruise line developed port areas it's not clear from Carnival's wording if they are included or not.  I get they aren't private island by a traditional definition. However, Carnival's website specifically says "private ports of call" not private islands. It seems like staying within the port-controlled area could effectively be a "private port of call", the only real difference being that it would be easy to leave the port area and take part in independent excursions. It would be nice to let kids off to enjoy the pool or beach, but then they would need to monitor everyone leaving. That's why I was asking for the the experience of those who have recently been.  

I was there last month.

10 hours ago, Melcoug said:

Thank you..

You highlighted the problem when you wrote "it would be easy to leave the port area". How would they possibly monitor everyone to keep them from leaving that area?

15 hours ago, Melcoug said:

Carnival's website is not clear regarding exactly which ports unvaccinated kids may leave the ship if not on a Bubble Tour. The Covid-19 protocols page states that unvaccinated may go ashore on their own when stopping in private ports of call "like Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays". Does anyone know if the cruise developed port areas right off the piers at Amber Cove or Mahogany Bay are open to unvaccinated kids under 12? Since both areas are restricted to ship passengers, it seems like not difference between the port area and the outdoor areas of the ship.

If anyone has sailed recently to either and can confirm yay/nay it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It is my understanding that unless unvaccinated go on a Bubble Tour they cannot get off the ship in any port.  Double check the website as the cruiselines have to abide by the protocols of the ports of call.  

• Like 1

Just now, dmndlil said:

It is my understanding that unless unvaccinated go on a Bubble Tour they cannot get off the ship in any port.  Double check the website as the cruiselines have to abide by the protocols of the ports of call.  Also the BAHAMAS has now announced that the ships cannot port anywhere in the Bahamas with any unvaccinated guests unless those guests are under the age of 12 or as an adult have to provide a medical exemption from the vaccine from their medical provider.  This includes  ALL private islands.

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You highlighted the problem when you wrote "it would be easy to leave the port area". How would they possibly monitor everyone to keep them from leaving that area?

The same way they monitor everyone coming into the port area? Logistically, it seems like it wouldn't be impossible. 

I'm not complaining. Bubble tours would be a source of revenue for Carnival and I definitely want cruise line to survive.  But it appears to be slim pickings for bubble tours and utilizing the port area would be an option for families when the bubble tours sell out.

Given that Camp Ocean will be closed and going ashore will be so restrictive, I think my friend should cancel.  They still want to go, but it looks like their under 12-year-old will have a bummer of a cruise. 😔 

My son has a home on Roatan on the other end of the island. No one can come ashore unless vaccinated and negative test. Apparently bubble tours if going on now, may be discontinued soon. Locals need the money desperately but too many tourists  defying mask rules and passengers roaming Mahogany Bay drink in hand not masking up because they are "drinking"

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

Locals need the money desperately but too many tourists  defying mask rules and passengers roaming Mahogany Bay drink in hand not masking up because they are "drinking"

I understand why they didn't, but had cruise lines restarted with 100% vaccinated, I think it would have been better for all these ports relying on tourist dollars.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2021 at 3:02 PM, Melcoug said:

I understand why they didn't, but had cruise lines restarted with 100% vaccinated, I think it would have been better for all these ports relying on tourist dollars.  

But since Carnival considers themselves a family cruise line, they wanted to try to accommodate as many families as possible so they decided to go with the CDC's  5% instead of 0%.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:51 PM, tjlewis said:

We are booked with our grandchildren 7&8 for Nov. We have already booked our excursions for each port. How do we tell if these are Bubble Tours?

You do realize that you will not get the exemptions for your grandchildren until possibly within a week of embarkation?  

On 8/23/2021 at 6:51 PM, tjlewis said:

We are booked with our grandchildren 7&8 for Nov. We have already booked our excursions for each port. How do we tell if these are Bubble Tours?

It will say "Bubble tour" before it. As of right now there are only two for Amber Cove (at least for our sailing)

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

You do realize that you will not get the exemptions for your grandchildren until possibly within a week of embarkation?  

We got ours about 45 days in advance. Everyone in our FB group and in the cruising with kids group is also getting them about 40-50 days out right now.

On 8/23/2021 at 7:21 PM, Melcoug said:

Yes, our friends are very aware. They have 5 people in 2 cabins and only one is under 12, so I think their chances or being granted the exemption are good.  

From everything I have heard, it is first come first served. Once they hit that magic number, the rest are denials. The problem people face is email servers and when they can respond. Good luck

18 hours ago, matymil said:

We got ours about 45 days in advance. Everyone in our FB group and in the cruising with kids group is also getting them about 40-50 days out right now.

That's a 180° turnaround.  A little while ago, there were multiple posts about families finding out 5 days before their cruise.  Must be because only those not in school yet should be cruising in the fall, but of course there are always going to be parents that will pull their kids out for a vacation. 🤔🤔

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

That's a 180° turnaround.  A little while ago, there were multiple posts about families finding out 5 days before their cruise.  Must be because only those not in school yet should be cruising in the fall, but of course there are always going to be parents that will pull their kids out for a vacation. 🤔🤔

Or those like mine that are too young for school but yes its gotten much easier for families to get exemptions. Im sure that not only school but also the new regulations have alot to do with that.

2 minutes ago, matymil said:

Or those like mine that are too young for school but yes its gotten much easier for families to get exemptions. Im sure that not only school but also the new regulations have alot to do with that.

What new regulations are you referring to?  

On 8/23/2021 at 3:31 PM, Melcoug said:

ARUBA, DR, AND CURACAO - Not getting off unless a bubble tour - ship bound......probably more like that everywhere else too