EU to Reimpose Entry Ban on Travellers From US & 5 Other Countries on Monday

mrstanley

Two officials within the European Union institutions have confirmed for Reuters that the EU Council will on Monday announce it's decision remove from the

list of epidemiologically safe third countries a total of six countries, including the United States. The removal from the list means that the Member States are

advised to reimpose the entry ban on travelers from these countries so that the same are no longer eligible to enter restriction-free for non-essential purposes like

tourism and business.

According to Reuters, the decision on reimposing the entry ban on US travelers has been taken on Friday, August 27, but will officially announced only on 

Monday, August, 30. The complete list of the countries affected goes as follows:  Israel, Kosovo, Lebanon, Montenegro, North Macedonia and the

United States.

14 minutes ago, BBWC said:

It is my understanding that this would only apply to unvaccinated travelers.

If that is indeed correct....than the entire "premise" and resulting (negative) impact of the thread's title should be changed.  Regards

21 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

If that is indeed correct....than the entire "premise" and resulting (negative) impact of the thread's title should be changed.  Regards

When I googled this topic and read the underlying articles, one article did indeed mention that it only applied to unvaccinated travelers. However, this is not a consistent theme across different news sources.
So, I would say it remains to be seen.

Stay tuned, the insanity continues.

2 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

When I googled this topic and read the underlying articles, one article did indeed mention that it only applied to unvaccinated travelers. However, this is not a consistent theme across different news sources.
So, I would say it remains to be seen.

Stay tuned, the insanity continues.

Thanks a lot to both you and mrstanley for doing the research and bringing this to our attention.  You are quite right that a lot of reporting these days (on numerous topics) is quite inconsistent and confusing.  Regards.

I think this article says member countries are advised to end the restriction-free entry to US residents and others for non-essential travel, as stated by the OP.

Does this mean a country could choose to say, allow vaccinated and/or negative tested entry?   The title doesn’t quite match the article. Any thoughts? 

My son living in Amsterdam has predicted all along they would impose restrictions at the end of the summer, just as they did in 2020.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-reimpose-entry-ban-on-travellers-from-us-5-other-third-countries-on-monday-sources-say/

Edited by Pudgesmom

Yes, each EU country can incorporate the travel restrictions or can ignore them. There is some speculation that Greece, Italy and perhaps Spain will decline to implement the new restrictions since a large portion of their economy is travel dependent.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jhenry1 said:

Does this mean if you have a connecting flight at Heathrow you will not be allowed?

England - the UK-  is no longer part of the EU so they are not part of this.They already have their own rules for transiting passengers. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 6:09 PM, Aloha 1 said:

I suspect politics may also be at play here given the US has still not allowed EU citizens in.

The EU uses the following published criteria in formulating its guidance to member states:

• not more than 75 new COVID-19 cases per 100 000 population in the previous 14 days
  • stable or decreasing trend of new cases
  • more than 300 tests per 100 000 population in the previous 7 days
  • not more than 4% of those tests positive
  • whether variants of interest or concern have been detected
  • vaccination progress
  • overall response to COVID-19
  • reliability of information and data
  • reciprocity, on a case-by-case basis

It is then up to each member state to determine what border controls will be applied for visitors from countries not on the EU “safe” list.

Regarding the U.K. (no longer a member of the EU), the next review of our “red/amber/green” list rules of entry are due mid September, just before Splendor sets off from Southampton on its second cruise after restart.

• Like 1

I am so relieved that we already rebooked our Sept 11 2021 cruise with back to back to Barcelona to September 2022. I would be so very stressed at this point. Now if Regent would just give us the "Journey to the center of Spain" that we had originally booked as a post. It's offered on the cruise after ours next year. We had been looking forward to that after our 2021 cruise, and were willing to pay for it. Maybe they don't need the money.