Updated cdc recommends testing 2 days prior, not 3 days

firefly333

1 minute ago, sammee said:

Where are you from? I'm in Whiting. Where did you end up getting one? 

I'm in Mercer County.  We took PCRs at CVS on Don Connor Rd in Jackson and Lacey Rd in Whiting. All we could get last minute. Nothing rapid at our local CVSs or Walgreens after the rapid appts we booked got cancelled.  This whole mess and 45 min looking for new tests drove us the emed route for our two upcoming cruises. 

3 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

I'm in Mercer County.  We took PCRs at CVS on Don Connor Rd in Jackson and Lacey Rd in Whiting. All we could get last minute. Nothing rapid at our local CVSs or Walgreens after the rapid appts we booked got cancelled.  This whole mess and 45 min looking for new tests drove us the emed route for our two upcoming cruises. 

I'm near that Walgreens. I just called Hackensack and they said no appts. necessary. I asked about the  supply shortage. They deny, so I'm be having a backup plan. I'm going for Thursday and let Friday be a backup.

11 minutes ago, sammee said:

I'm near that Walgreens. I just called Hackensack and they said no appts. necessary. I asked about the  supply shortage. They deny, so I'm be having a backup plan. I'm going for Thursday and let Friday be a backup.

We did find that independent Silverton Pharmacy in Toms River is doing $0 cost, rapid PCRs.  Take it on a weekday and results by 7p the next day. They have a scheduler on their site and reviews look good online. 

Can anyone say with the three day window, how is that counted? Is it actual day to day or business days? We have a cruise scheduled that leaves on a Monday. I'm worried that it will be hard to do a test and get results on time if labs are super busy on the weekends.

8 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

We did find that independent Silverton Pharmacy in Toms River is doing $0 cost, rapid PCRs.  Take it on a weekday and results by 7p the next day. They have a scheduler on their site and reviews look good online. 

They are now charging $50 for a rapid and free w/insurance for the 24-48 hr test. I saw their ad on my fb page this week. They also got me queezy telling somebody it was the 2 inch swab, not the newer shorter  swab, lol.

2 minutes ago, ncmtnmamma said:

Can anyone say with the three day window, how is that counted? Is it actual day to day or business days? We have a cruise scheduled that leaves on a Monday. I'm worried that it will be hard to do a test and get results on time if labs are super busy on the weekends.

That would be Friday for you at the earliest. I have a Sunday cruise with Thursday as the earliest.

• Like 2

I am so ready to cancel our 11/27 cruise even though this is our 3rd time trying to use our FCC.  There's no way on a busy Thanksgiving weekend that we're going to be able to test on Thanksgiving Day (our 2-day window) and we're flying out on Friday for our Saturday cruise.  We are all vaccinated but still we're being forced to jump thru hoops by the CDC and I guess Carnival hasn't thought of the impossible position they are putting us in.  Why are the cruise lines allowing a bunch of bureaucrats to dictate policy.  How come people visiting Universal Studios, Disney, SeaWorld and sporting arenas around the country not being forced to be tested before entering.  Come on cruise execs do something to protect your industry before we decide to take our vacations at an AI resort.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BroadwayGirl said:

We've got no issues of getting appointments here in the Northeast either. I can go on CVS right now and book one...but actually having the appointment happen and not get cancelled has been the issue. CVS and Walgreens have been canceling rapids left and right due to no supplies. We had that problem over the weekend and scrambled.  Just because you can make an appointment doesn't mean they have the supplies. That's what I don't want to run into for the cruise. 

I'm somewhat north of you in NJ (upstate NY), and we seem to have a different problem. Though the end result is the same. We have no problem making a CVS/Walgreens appointment for a PCR test, but the rapid tests available are few and far between. CVS shows the closest antigen tests are in Maine, while Walgreens has few of their rapid ID-NOW appointments available. But you can get one, if you're willing to travel 30-45 minutes and take what time slot they have.

I don't know if we are getting appointments cancelled or not though. I had one ID-NOW test a couple of weeks ago that went through without issue, but maybe I was just lucky.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kellyann said:

I am so ready to cancel our 11/27 cruise even though this is our 3rd time trying to use our FCC.  There's no way on a busy Thanksgiving weekend that we're going to be able to test on Thanksgiving Day (our 2-day window) and we're flying out on Friday for our Saturday cruise.  We are all vaccinated but still we're being forced to jump thru hoops by the CDC and I guess Carnival hasn't thought of the impossible position they are putting us in.  Why are the cruise lines allowing a bunch of bureaucrats to dictate policy.  How come people visiting Universal Studios, Disney, SeaWorld and sporting arenas around the country not being forced to be tested before entering.  Come on cruise execs do something to protect your industry before we decide to take our vacations at an AI resort.

You can order the emed home kits and do them at your convenience. It’s worth the peace of mind to know we’re not waiting on a lab. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kellyann said:

There isnt a 2 day window yet from carnival. 

It's just a recommendation from the cdc, not protocol. .. yet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ncmtnmamma said:

There is no way they could say "three business days": a long weekend would turn that into six calendar days.  The Carnival website states it pretty plainly.  Three days prior, so for your cruise you can get tested on Friday, Sat, or Sun:

Fully vaccinated guests must also present the negative results of a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within three days prior to embarkation. For example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

There isnt a 2 day window yet from carnival. 

It's just a recommendation from the cdc, not protocol. .. yet.

I don't understand the rational for 2 say window for testing for vaccinated passengers and a 3 day window for unvaccinated passengers.  I would think it would be reversed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

I don't understand the rational for 2 say window for testing for vaccinated passengers and a 3 day window for unvaccinated passengers.  I would think it would be reversed.

Unvaccinated have to get the pcur test and cant get results in 2 days plus they are retested when they board.

Most pax are getting rapid tests and are vaccinated. The shorter time before they sail the better.

• Like 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

Unvaccinated have to get the pcur test and cant get results in 2 days plus they are retested when they board.

Most pax are getting rapid tests and are vaccinated. The shorter time before they sail the better.

I'm thinking Carnival just might as well offer the rapid antigen test at the port ( for a fee- say $25?) with the understanding those choosing this last minute method run the risk of a Positive

result and not cruising.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

I'm thinking Carnival just might as well offer the rapid antigen test at the port ( for a fee- say $25?) with the understanding those choosing this last minute method run the risk of a Positive

result and not cruising.

We were wondering the same thing.  Will they start saying "bring the test results" or "pay and get one here"?  Alot of people will be willing to pay to avoid the stress I think. 

Edited by BroadwayGirl
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, stellarose said:

so if leaving Christmas we must have a test 2 days before?  so flying in the day before.... tested that morning?

If that turns out to be the new protocol, you could get tested the day before you fly.

But right now that is not the new protocol.  And by Christmas who knows what will change.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

result and not cruising.

Just the staffing needed to do 2k and more tests as you board would be a nightmare, and why bother charging $25 which wouldnt cover the staffing much less cost of tests.

Sure pax would like it at that price, but cruiselines cant afford to offer it that cheap and would be a nightmare to get it done as you board. .. though I'm sure the cdc would says sure, good idea, let's drive another bankruptcy nail into their coffin.

CVC or Walgreens will not assure us what type test will be available the day of our testing.  Two days prior could be a problem if fast testing is not available when we drive up to the window.  

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Just the staffing needed to do 2k and more tests as you board would be a nightmare, and why bother charging $25 which wouldnt cover the staffing much less cost of tests.

Sure pax would like it at that price, but cruiselines cant afford to offer it that cheap and would be a nightmare to get it done as you board. .. though I'm sure the cdc would says sure, good idea, let's drive another bankruptcy nail into their coffin.

The price was just an example.  It could be $100 ( i don'tcare0 Other lines are doing it.  In fact some limes are testing daily. ( I just returned from a Bermuda cruise where we had to spit in a tube every day for the saliva PCR test)  It can be done.  Just a matter of logistics.  ANd not every one would need it.  Only those who "can't get a test result in time"

Edited by bafinegan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

The price was just an example.  It could be $100 ( i don'tcare0 Other lines are doing it.  In fact some limes are testing daily. ( I just returned from a Bermuda cruise where we had to spit in a tube every day for the saliva PCR test)  It can be done.  Just a matter of logistics.  ANd not every one would need it.  Only those who "can't get a test result in time"

Viking is the only one I know doing daily tests and they have more staff than pax.

I've read the time celebrity changed to testing everyone at boarding. Have you? People waited outside in line in the hot sun for hours and that got criticized. What the bahamas is requiring and Bermuda is a big reason they cant get people to book.

It's not a easy solution. The ones testing so much have fewer pax. So cut pax? It may come to offering it at the pier at some high price just so people arent left behind and have less stress. 

Who knows. I'm just saying trying to test 2500 at boarding takes too much time. It's getting to where to set sail the cruiselines are losing money..almost free fares to gamblers tells me a lot.

Those of flying or driving to Galveston usually arrive a day early. Why not set up a mini-clinic the day before sailing  to handle the crush of humanity arriving between 10:30 and 1:30 on sail date. Folks in Texas have a choice to test near home or come on down a day ahead. Test at noon, be ready to sail or go home by 4 P.M. I'll pay my share.

Edited by JoeMo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Kellyann said:

We are in that cruise too. Reading all this, I'm wondering if it's worth it. And if mask are required inside, is that even a vacation?   Might just get a refund and go somewhere that doesn't require all this. 

• Like 4