Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

5 hours ago, 39august said:

Scott, thanks for the pics. And I assume the Day 4 Sushi on Five menu you posted was on a port day. That is great news as we have no plans to go ashore at any port unless we can go on our own in St. Lucia. 

I believe Sushi on 5 is open every day for lunch and I was told that it is included for Suites an no surcharge.    I like Sushi ok but not a huge fan.     Seeing the Kobe Sliders may be a great go to place for me as burgers are my favorite thing to eat. 

4 hours ago, stunned said:

Is there drink service pool side?

Judy

I've not been down to the swimming level but would think so on  the sun area adjacent to the walking jogging track  there are bar servers and they are very attentive. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I believe Sushi on 5 is open every day for lunch and I was told that it is included for Suites an no surcharge.    

Wait.. suites have all you can eat sushi at 5 for lunch?

I could eat the difference in prices from an aft balcony in dragon rolls 😛

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While many have to have a new car yearly we are not into cars and drive a 15 y.o. Saab and plan on driving it until it dies.   With 200,000 miles not sure if that will happen any time soon.   

Good for you!  I'm the same way.  My truck is 16 years old.  😉

• Like 5

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

That's what I was told.    Scott may be able to confirm since he was just there for lunch. 

2 minutes ago, 19pamela68 said:

Good for you!  I'm the same way.  My truck is 16 years old.  😉

Yeah,i view a car as point a to point b.

When the cost to fix is more than the cars worth,i buy another.

Last car 225k miles. Transmission rebuild cost more than the cars worth.

Current one 125k miles.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Sorry to hear that. We did find a taxi (in August) to take us to Christensted and bring us back.

We spent about 3 hrs there, had lunch, strolled around. It was $25 per person round trip.

How easy was it to find a taxi back to the pier?

31 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I believe Sushi on 5 is open every day for lunch and I was told that it is included for Suites an no surcharge.    I like Sushi ok but not a huge fan.     Seeing the Kobe Sliders may be a great go to place for me as burgers are my favorite thing to eat. 

Sushi on 5 is included.  We have eaten there a few times and no charge for our suite.  Not sure it’s free for Sky or Celebrity suites.

• Like 1

St Croix - September 8

We had the most incredible day in St Croix.   Thanks to a wonderful Cruise Critic member -  I can't find their user name -    Richard and John who live in St Croix.      They were most hospitable and spent the entire day with them.    More later as I have a lot of uploading to do.

First up is arrival in port -    We were to meet Richard outside the port at the bus stop just north of the Old Customs House -

The tourist board had entertainment to greet the PAX

https://youtu.be/ttG9OY5TGBg 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

You and me both! Add some gyoza to mine, and an unagi hand roll if they've got it😜 Only thing is, I'm afraid this benefit is only for the "upper suites" not my December Sky Suite. Ah well, we've got $1,000 in non-refundable OBC to spend. I think that'll get me some sushi😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

We met Richard at the pier.   As many of you recall one of Iain's main goal was to pick up cigarettes.   Due to a special regulation you can bring back 5X the normal duty free limit from USVI.    I would have never thought that K-Mart would have a duty free section and the prices were about 1/2 what he pays in California so he picked up 10 Cartons.   

John had a Zoom meeting so after our little shipping spree we went back to their lovely home with beautiful azule ocean views.    We had a lovely lunch at   Le  Cuisinier  which is adjacent to their home.    Masks are required anytime you are inside and we had a beautiful outside table. 

D51E59EE-15F6-4A34-8C5D-9A6C872191E3.thumb.jpeg.6ada22a061b42bc4f7a88e082ed09f97.jpeg  .     

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 11

47 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I too am not a sushi fan. I asked for shrimp tempura and rice. They made it for me. The lobster ramen was also very good. Chicken gyoza and shrimp and lobster dumpling (forgot what it was called??) was very good. I enjoyed it and the service was great!

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We next were given a driving tour of the complete island.   They have owned property on St Croix for 42 years and also own a place in Florida.    The definitely know the island well.  

On the way back to the ship we stopped at the Sand Castle which often sells day passes to cruise passengers but currently are not accepting Day Guests.    What a beautiful place.   

136DD9A5-E659-44B1-8962-C235DFABBC55.thumb.jpeg.0cb44838b270db411c4f370c66d51806.jpeg

A149BA4A-B231-48DB-AF51-AA6C71E61F14.thumb.jpeg.7c7da82e8dc281b18dc4ce2c5bd1177b.jpeg

57A52F67-A467-4D76-8E8E-D9D51E9594DD.thumb.jpeg.251d4a315c7ee50a7061c41c5520cfc8.jpeg

163885A4-7170-4499-9444-1DE4BE0656E9.thumb.jpeg.1e71d259a280e365bbc4304dd403f5e3.jpeg

50AF0F4E-9B6D-43BD-99AE-9BF12D009DA5.thumb.jpeg.fa7c62ed9b0776be1428131a8596f41e.jpeg

F9C9D258-8959-4A5B-A7C0-36345E28F9A6.thumb.jpeg.fdb1253ee2c9c1a936d1c7ddc9c5a5a9.jpeg

F3111BAC-FB6B-4022-892F-E4D65CAC227B.thumb.jpeg.d8fcb7dca7bd7d14cab1ef59f22120be.jpeg

EB241EB8-CB18-44DE-847D-9B72F7724A85.thumb.jpeg.c3b4fc236b3453b42d52ccadaf3a67b2.jpeg

77899EEC-EF50-4F65-9570-AED5A569B6E8.thumb.jpeg.d77e1938a4fff96d7546ac6962ca90ca.jpeg

0ED6F6DA-AA7E-4E1A-9F12-6C4C70F27083.thumb.jpeg.3133d94f35864c0309b6ff782cee6a1e.jpeg

4CA80404-AC5D-4A48-92CB-D19674A8A7F8.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

How easy was it to find a taxi back to the pier?

The taxi we got from outside the port in Frederiksted came back to pick us up as arranged. Round trip was $25. Enroute and back he gave us a little tour of the areas enroute.

I did see other taxis and shuttles waiting in Cristensted to take people back. So I would say pretty easy.

We were initially planning to spend the day at Sand Castle, but found out they were not accpeting day guests, as Jim mentioned. Also thought of walking along the water's edge to the left of the ship/docks  and go to that small beach with chairs and umbrellas, but it was our first time in St Croix and we wanted to see things.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Yeah,i view a car as point a to point b.

When the cost to fix is more than the cars worth,i buy another.

Last car 225k miles. Transmission rebuild cost more than the cars worth.

Current one 125k miles.

Sounds like my kind.    We only have one car and usually only use in every two weeks to go grocery shopping.   Most of the rest of the time I pick it up while on my walk and pack my backpack.   

Iain use to work under Janet Yellen at SF Federal Reserve and is a anal financial type person.   Obviously I'm the opposite and neve balance my checking account.  His strong belief is you don't buy depreciable assets except for their intended need.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, funatseascott said:

Sushi on 5 is included.  We have eaten there a few times and no charge for our suite.  Not sure it’s free for Sky or Celebrity suites.

Thanks --- You are definitely getting getting out more than I am.    Also, thanks for helping out posting pictures around the ship.   We also have not yet been up to the Retreat Sun Deck even thought I pass it 25 times a day on my walking.     

Being on the ship for 3 weeks I am pacing myself.   

I also asked Glenn to discontinue the daily snack trays --    It is a really nice touch and the Shrimp tonight were delicious, but I just can't eat non-stop.   He was very gracious and said no problem but just ring me if you want something in the afternoon. 

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I also asked Glenn to discontinue the daily snack trays --    It is a really nice touch and the Shrimp tonight were delicious, but I just can't eat non-stop.  

We've done the same in the past and also on Regent.

The 'canapés' seem to grow into a full sized seafood platter after a few days if you don't pay attention 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks --- You are definitely getting getting out more than I am.    Also, thanks for helping out posting pictures around the ship.   We also have not yet been up to the Retreat Sun Deck even thought I pass it 25 times a day on my walking.     

Being on the ship for 3 weeks I am pacing myself.   

I also asked Glenn to discontinue the daily snack trays --    It is a really nice touch and the Shrimp tonight were delicious, but I just can't eat non-stop.   He was very gracious and said no problem but just ring me if you want something in the afternoon. 

Glad to help out as we have learned so much from others, I’m just trying to pay it forward.

Not only is Sushi on 5 included, but are the cold pressed juices and smoothies from the Spa Cafe.

3 minutes ago, funatseascott said:

Glad to help out as we have learned so much from others, I’m just trying to pay it forward.

Not only is Sushi on 5 included, but are the cold pressed juices and smoothies from the Spa Cafe.

I enjoy the Spa Cafe - best of all open to all guests.   I think smoothie require premium.  Elite breakfast have for all even without package.  

• Like 1