Live from QE sailing 3rd Sept

LadyL1

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"thanks for so generously sharing your time at sea with all of us here at Cruise Critic!"

LadyL1 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We awoke to another grey day but that improved rapidly in many ways! Arriving at  COVID testing station, all is very efficient. Noticeable that many are arriving way before given time. We had 12.15pm allotted but drove in  about 10 minutes early and was having our test at our exact time. Then to theOcean Terminal, and upstairs to checking area, received results and on ship with no wait at all. There were certainly holding areas where some where being directed. Very impressed by the set up, but it takes everyone’s effort to make it work efficiently!
We had a tasty early afternoon tea to stave off the hunger,  before a much welcome swim in the forward pool which I had to myself. Believe it or not, we then sat up on the very top deck under the awnings, on a warm and sunny late afternoon. I cannot remember it being this warm for weeks. QV left at 4.00pm from the old QE terminal devoid of passengers and no reciprocal hooters blown. The Sky Princess left next, with the usual loud razzmatazz as she passed by. I have to say that her hull looked in a very sad state. It makes us realise how spruce the QE appears all round.
Our thoughts are drifting towards dinner as we await departure on the balcony. The menu left I n the cabin certainly appeals. Sitting on the balcony makes us realise how much we have missed this, and our good fortune to be on a holiday where we feel safe. As we leave, the sea is flat and the noisiest thing in Southampton Water seems to be the Red Jet.
Probably an early night, with a sea day ahead of us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

We awoke to another grey day but that improved rapidly in many ways! Arriving at  COVID testing station, all is very efficient. Noticeable that many are arriving way before given time. We had 12.15pm allotted but drove in  about 10 minutes early and was having our test at our exact time. Then to theOcean Terminal, and upstairs to checking area, received results and on ship with no wait at all. There were certainly holding areas where some where being directed. Very impressed by the set up, but it takes everyone’s effort to make it work efficiently!
We had a tasty early afternoon tea to stave off the hunger,  before a much welcome swim in the forward pool which I had to myself. Believe it or not, we then sat up on the very top deck under the awnings, on a warm and sunny late afternoon. I cannot remember it being this warm for weeks. QV left at 4.00pm from the old QE terminal devoid of passengers and no reciprocal hooters blown. The Sky Princess left next, with the usual loud razzmatazz as she passed by. I have to say that her hull looked in a very sad state. It makes us realise how spruce the QE appears all round.
Our thoughts are drifting towards dinner as we await departure on the balcony. The menu left I n the cabin certainly appeals. Sitting on the balcony makes us realise how much we have missed this, and our good fortune to be on a holiday where we feel safe. As we leave, the sea is flat and the noisiest thing in Southampton Water seems to be the Red Jet.
Probably an early night, with a sea day ahead of us.

We were on QEs first cruise on 13th August and we had a fantastic cruise with food great and the inside of the ship and inside our stateroom were immaculate but the balcony was in a very sorry state. There was rust everywhere and paint flaking and the windows and the balcony furniture were in an absolutely disgusting state, it didnt look as if the windows had been cleaned in 18 months and we had to clean and wipe down the furniture before we could use it.

Last night we enjoyed our meal, the scallops were delicious, but husband slightly disappointed with the NY strip. The desserts were outstanding. The restaurants on deck 11 are wonderful for observation; we passed so close to the forts in the Solent and many anchored ships of east Wight before the island disappeared in the gloom. Feeling pleasantly full, we took a stroll around deck 3, and we could have been in the Mediterranean! If any of you are wondering about the Grills, there is no requirement to book a table; the one you are given is for all meals at any time you desire.
This morning it is misty and a noticeable breeze: the tv screen showed we were making 17.5 knots on our way to Greenock. The lecture we chose to attend was given by Garry Richardson of the BBC, notable for his “greatest  interview” with Bill Clinton on a rainy day at Wimbledon some years back and being a sporting commentator amongst his many qualities. This was polished as you would expect and looking forward to a second presentation next week.
It has remained a somewhat dull day but still enjoyed my daily swim and our walks around the deck. I have noticed just one or two folk around the ship not wearing a mask, but it is so easy to forget to put one on. Speaking, as one does, with fellow guests, all seem content with the restrictions which in essence, are no great shakes in a changed world! 
So tonight it is the B & W theme, and it is a long time since we have donned our formal attire. I am sure many will be very happy so to do, as we are!
  • Like 5

Thank You for your feedback LadyL1  keep em coming and continue to enjoy your cruise.

I was interested to hear from a friend who is also onboard this week that the guest count is 1,300 which is encouraging, as it appears to be  slowly getting back to some sense of normality.  On my trip on the 13th Aug the guest count was 935. 

• Like 1

Last night as we dressed for dinner, the watery setting sun was giving the glassy sea a  truly ethereal aspect. We could not see the coast of Ireland from our port side cabin. It is quite strange seeing people in formal attire as early as 5.00pm now the dining times have changed. One feels quite conspicuous being in day clothes amongst the photographers out in force and the glammed up diners!
So, a few observations to digest. After a truly delicious dinner we went to the theatre and at no time did we see anyone dressed as if they were going for a walk in the park. Some folks view on formal wear is different to mine😌.  Few ladies deviated from black and white, and there were certainly some lovely gowns. We actually saw a lady in a wedding dress, so whether it was just being put to good use or there had been a ceremony on board, one will never know. I wonder if masks could be removed for such an occasion?🤔
I am pleased to say the attendance for the late show was well attended. We saw, what I believe, is a new production “Be Our Guest” before retiring, as far too chilly to promenade on deck 3.
This morning it is yet again cloudy and only 13 degrees at 10.00am. I will head to the pool later on, as a swim  is always an enjoyment.
We bumped in to an officer we knew, and had a chat. Just over 1200 passengers on board and of these around 600 will be going on an excursion at some point today. All is very well organised. We saw one couple on the stairway insisting they should be allowed off independently, and that the first time hearing of any challenge to the new rules.
Maureen Ryan is speaking in the theatre today, but not sure if we will attend.
I have to say the app on my iPad seems to be working well, re my account view, but then, I am not in a position to need to book a dining table. The process of payment is much more up to date with just being able to swipe your card, rather than being taken to a payment station in a bar: all for progress in this respect!
Please feel free to ask any questions, and I will oblige an answer if possible.
  • Like 1

The only down side we found is with the App not working on our phones not only for us but also for the "experts" who are there to help but with the new system of zapping your card electronically and no paper receipts being given out was that it was inconvenient not to keep a running total of what you had spent during the cruise.

1 hour ago, newcruise said:

Thank you, LadyL1, for your posts!

What are the new dining times you mentioned?

Were folks wearing masks at the lectures and the shows?

Wishing you a voyage of continued delights!

Dinner times in MDR were first sitting 5-30 to 7 and second sitting was anytime after 7 until 9-30 but they expected you to book a table on App or by phone from your stateroom. They also always asked if you had booked a table for breakfast and lunch whatever time you went but never did book and always got a table but on occasions certain times were not available at nighr when phoning firs t thing in morning for dinner. You had to wear a mask when attending lectures and shows.

Edited by majortom10

35 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Dinner times in MDR were first sitting 5-30 to 7 and second sitting was anytime after 7 until 9-30 but they expected you to book a table on App or by phone from your stateroom. They also always asked if you had booked a table for breakfast and lunch whatever time you went but never did book and always got a table but on occasions certain times were not available at nighr when phoning firs t thing in morning for dinner. You had to wear a mask when attending lectures and shows.

Thank you MajorTom, that was really helpful. Dont think I could manage dinner at 5.30!

Are you restricted to eating with only your travel party, or is there table sharing? We are thinking of booking a Jan canaries trip but are concerned about recent cancellations in case things change again 

1 hour ago, djwcruisejunkie said:

Thank you MajorTom, that was really helpful. Dont think I could manage dinner at 5.30!

Are you restricted to eating with only your travel party, or is there table sharing? We are thinking of booking a Jan canaries trip but are concerned about recent cancellations in case things change again 

They did ask on occasions if you wanted to share but we always asked for a table for 2 and there was never any problems or wait.

Our day in Scotland yesterday, gave us cool and miserable weather. As we left Greenock the heavens opened so we missed what would have been stunning scenery.
Nevertheless, the day was still enjoyable, and I had a wonderful hot stone massage in the spa late in the afternoon.
Our dinner was pre-ordered and so we enjoyed rack of lamb and crepes suzettes cooked to perfection by the head waiter. The food has been excellent and varied,  beautifully presented, and we have missed this type of dining experience so much during lockdown. Even since “freedom” we have not ventured out too much as living in the southwest, the packed venues of land-based “staycationers” has just not appealed.
We are now berthed in Liverpool on a warm and hazy day.   Interesting watching the docking from deck 12 and noticed the bystanders looking on from the shore. The ship manoeuvred 180 degrees so we are set to sail straight out when we depart after 8.30 tonight. It is very noticeable that the ship still has a large compliment of passengers on board today, and to my horror 😲 the pools are actually busy! I must learn not to be possessive!
I feel that I should mention the crew. They are so welcoming and obviously happy to be back. Our steward, Robert, was out of work for 18 months after he left the ship in Australia, and is so grateful to be here, even feeling for his friends who have not yet got a contract. Our waiter, Emil, is a treasure and instantly recognised us from the QV, so delighted to have him serve us. We have come across a few others we know, and these folk seem to have great memories! They have all worked so hard as the QE is in great shape (we have been advised our balcony is being cleaned today, (a previous detrimental comment to this effect on this thread noted) although it does not look in need. We have had seas like a mill pond so no salty spray on the decks. In fact, it has been so calm one is not aware of any movement.
I think those of you who posted questions,  may find they have already been answered. However, regarding the times for eating in the Britannia restaurant, may depend on the type of fare you book, for some certainty. I assume if you travel on the full Cunard fare, that you will have first choice, as was the case previously. Looking at today’s dining times in Britannia it says as follows 

Assigned Dining 6.00pm. Doors close at 6.15pm.
Open Dining 7.45 -9.00pm.

As I post this it is now a sunny and pleasant afternoon. (And I did swim before lunch with the pool to myself ☺️)
We will not be calling at Holyhead, reason unknown, but heading for Belfast.
Who cares? We are just relaxed and enjoying ourselves!

• Like 3

Nice to hear they have already changed dinner times in MDR since 13th Aug the 5-30 first sitting was far too early and the second sitting anytime after 7pm but they expected you to book in advance was silly and confusing everyone.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1