Cozumel But No Costa Maya?

USVIcruizer

Quote below from Celebrity email informing itinerary change for our 10/2 Edge cruise -  Costa Maya's out, but Cozumel's still on.  Seems weird that 1 Mexican port's OK, another isn't...any thoughts? Not a concern either way, we're just excited to be sailing again...thanks!

"Celebrity Cruises has been working closely with health and government authorities, in each country we sail from, to outline a clear path for cruising with new health and safety protocols. As we return to service, we are continuously evaluating all itineraries and the status of travel conditions around the world. This means some of our sailings will need to be modified including the upcoming Celebrity Edge sailings departing September 18, October 2, and October 30, 2021."

43 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Maybe the conditions in Costa Maya have deteriorated.  We have been there 4 times and not a favorite so we didn’t plan to get off the ship anyhow

Any port in Mexico is always iffy, don’t fret it, just enjoy your cruise 

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Any port in Mexico is always iffy, don’t fret it, just enjoy your cruise 

Not sure I understand such a sweeping statement?

With regards to Covid, Yucatan and Quintana Roo have moved to yellow this week so I don’t think that can be the reason. 

Perhaps it it is a logistical problem with other ports out of action and ships having to relocate.

Edited by c-leg5

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Not sure I understand such a sweeping statement?

With regards to Covid, Yucatan and Quintana Roo have moved to yellow this week so I don’t think that can be the reason. 

Perhaps it it is a logistical problem with other ports out of action and ships having to relocate.

what i mean is, due to the unrest in certain areas, cruising to Mexico can always be iffy, was not referring to Covid.  I've had ports canceled/changed, just rolled with it.  Love love Mexico, lived in San Diego for many years and Mexico was always a land vacation for us as well.

This happened to the Edge sailing 9/4. We were notified a couple weeks before sailing that Costa Maya was cancled but I noticed the Carnival Mardi Gras was still allowed to dock there on the same day the Edge was suppose to. 🤔

10 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

This happened to the Edge sailing 9/4. We were notified a couple weeks before sailing that Costa Maya was cancled but I noticed the Carnival Mardi Gras was still allowed to dock there on the same day the Edge was suppose to. 🤔

Seems X is taking a more cautious approach perhaps?  

• Like 1

I have no idea how the decision making is done, but initially Costa Maya wasn’t allowing people to do excursions on their own if the ship didn’t do test cruises. When we were there we were restricted to Celebrity excursions and Adventure of the Seas passengers could go on their own. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Seems X is taking a more cautious approach perhaps?  

I don’t know. I thought maybe since X and Carnival would be docking at the same pier that was the issue but then a few days later in Nassau we docked next to Carnival Magic.  

7 minutes ago, retired dude said:

we seldom get off of the ship at any mexican ports..safer on the ship.

What are the other stops where you *do* get off the ship?

I did a short Mexican cruise that had one stop in Grand Cayman.  The ferry ride in Cozumel was the worst part.  I was going to take a Caribbean cruise but it was canceled.  Are there cruises that include both?

23 minutes ago, retired dude said:

Good thing a few U.S. cities are landlocked.

Q.Roo (e.g., Cozumel, over in Playa, Costa Maya) easily preferred to some at home.  Golden Goose and all that...

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

What are the other stops where you *do* get off the ship?

I did a short Mexican cruise that had one stop in Grand Cayman.  The ferry ride in Cozumel was the worst part.  I was going to take a Caribbean cruise but it was canceled.  Are there cruises that include both?

Not sure what you are asking?

I am sure you are aware Grand Cayman isn’t in Mexico, and there is certainly no need to take the ferry to the mainland from Cozumel, so “are there cruises that include both what”?  

1 hour ago, retired dude said:

Is that a serious comment?

I think that’s probably true about most ports worldwide ….. and even safer if you stay at home. 

I would be interested to know which ports you consider safe? 

I know many cruisers just go along for the ride and that’s OK, I just wonder why you single out Mexico?

I can think of several ports where I have felt uneasy at times but Cozumel and Costa Maya don’t rank very high on that list.

• Like 1

Yes Grand Cayman is a separate country.

If you want to go to the mainland in Cozumel you take a ferry.

I was asking if anyone knows of looooong cruise that stops in Mexico and some place like Cuba, Jamaica.  Some place other than Grand Cayman.  It's not likely but I asked anyway.  It's more common to see a Mexico and Central America cruise.  I had booked a Southern Caribbean cruise which was canceled.  It did not include Mexico.

19 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Not sure what you are asking?

I am sure you are aware Grand Cayman isn’t in Mexico, and there is certainly no need to take the ferry to the mainland from Cozumel, so “are there cruises that include both what”?  

I think there may have been some confusion between Grand Cayman and Playa del Carmen where the ferry actually goes.

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

Sounded as though it was a ferry ride from Cozumel the way the original post was worded.

The ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen (or reverse) can be very rough at times.  Keep in mind when going to Tulum to see the Mayan ruins.

That is all.

Thanks.

Edited by zitsky

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Yes Grand Cayman is a separate country.

If you want to go to the mainland in Cozumel you take a ferry.

I was asking if anyone knows of looooong cruise that stops in Mexico and some place like Cuba, Jamaica.  Some place other than Grand Cayman.  It's not likely but I asked anyway.  It's more common to see a Mexico and Central America cruise.  I had booked a Southern Caribbean cruise which was canceled.  It did not include Mexico.

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Sounded as though it was a ferry ride from Cozumel the way the original post was worded.

I think it was a ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland.

However, if I take a cruise to Cozumel I have absolutely no need (or desire) to take a ferry to the mainland. If I want to visit somewhere on  the mainland I book a land vacation to the mainland. 

There is plenty to do on Cozumel, I have no need to waste a few hours traveling to and from the mainland during the limited port hours of a cruise ship stop.

2 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

If I want to visit somewhere on  the mainland I book a land vacation...

Preaching to the choir there!  We spend several weeks each year just a short distance north of Playa.  It's one of our favorite places to kick back.  Played the Nick Price course up there for the first time last March .. immaculate condition.

• Like 1