Response I just got from Abbott about my BinaxNow home test.

Sgt. Jeff

Not trying to worry anybody, but my test expires in 10/5/21.  It is my understanding that the expiration dates have been extended.   But, I just got this response from Abbott directly.   So now I'm confused.   I was on hold for 4 hours but I had to hang up.  What do yall think?   Not trying to worry anyone, just showing what I got.  Thanks.   

Screenshot_20210914-085330_Messenger.jpg

I emailed them too and they said it is extended 3 months after that date. I would send an email to their Support to get a response. I won't be using mine until 11/18/2021. I have the 10/05/2021 expiration as well. That is why I emailed them.

Just to clarify, I contacted eMed, not Abbott. This is what they directed me to for the question.

https://support.emed.com/attachments/token/jD4x39EaaYlle3Gj7oxf5tYAa/?name=Expiration_date_extention.pdf

In that download there are links to the FDA letter and information. I think we are all fine with the dates.

Edited by BoozinCroozin
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Sgt. Jeff

Found this link:

eMed extension

Looks like your lot number is extended until 1/5/2022

Thanks for that link. The links they sent me were more generic. This one shows the exact Lot Numbers. Mine are all part of the 3-month extension. I am ready for our negative results on 11/18.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Jeff said:

Not trying to worry anybody, but my test expires in 10/5/21.  It is my understanding that the expiration dates have been extended.   But, I just got this response from Abbott directly.   So now I'm confused.   I was on hold for 4 hours but I had to hang up.  What do yall think?   Not trying to worry anyone, just showing what I got.  Thanks.   

Screenshot_20210914-085330_Messenger.jpg

Thats bull I would call and say, " Why would you send me a test kit that expires next month"  You need to send me a newer test kit with expiration date at least 6 months from now" You spent $150 and you get 6 tests that expire next month?  Hell No

• Like 2

I inquired about the same thing.  My tests showed an October expiration (we are cruising in December) and they provided documentation that per the FDA the expiration is extended three months past the date shown on the package.

• Like 1

OK. One small thing I cannot figure out and I know the answer is simple. I watched the video on how to do the test and when complete, and hopefully negative, you throw it away.

How do you keep negative results and present to Carnival when checking in? I think I missed that part. 

3 minutes ago, Bookbug53 said:

OK. One small thing I cannot figure out and I know the answer is simple. I watched the video on how to do the test and when complete, and hopefully negative, you throw it away.

How do you keep negative results and present to Carnival when checking in? I think I missed that part. 

You should have a proctored test, where someone will watch you perform the test and then check the result. Your result will be emailed to you.

2 hours ago, lele100 said:

Thats bull I would call and say, " Why would you send me a test kit that expires next month"  You need to send me a newer test kit with expiration date at least 6 months from now" You spent $150 and you get 6 tests that expire next month?  Hell No

This is not necessarily a mistake.

Remember, the expiration date is based upon the date the sterilization cycle was completed. The items will be held until the quality control testing is complete that shows that lot was effectively sterilized.

The product will then be released to the manufacturer's warehouse where orders for the product will be sent out by the release date of the lot (older product goes out first). 

There will be time involved in transit to the wholesaler's warehouse and then the time period before that stock is shipped out to the retail space (again can involve transit through other warehouses) or shipped to a customer's home.

So yes, you can receive a product that has an expiry date that is close to the time that you would purchase and be expected to use the product. 

Before anyone asks, I spent five years at the FDA reviewing and approving sterilization cycles and stability studies (which is what expiry dates are based on) for opthalmic  devices.

• Like 2

I guess many people don't read prior posts in the thread they are posting.  The answers to the latter question is found in post #2 and #6.  Here is a link to post #6  https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

2 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

Thank you for posting this!  My tests just arrive in the mail yesterday, and have an expiration of 09-21-2021.  That would be a very short timeframe if not for the extension.

Were they purchased from EMED or another place? I bought mine back in June from emed and got a Oct date which was extended to Jan 2022. 

3 hours ago, lele100 said:

You do realize Abbott does not have newer kits, right? When covid plummeted back in May/June timeframe they shut down manufacturing, let the staff go, and destroyed some odd 10M kits (these were expired or expiring soon). They can't ramp up manufacturing quickly because they have to hire all new staff, obtain supplies, and start the process over. It is difficult for any business to get workers right now. They have learned to live on a little less and not work at all. They will figure something out or even outsource it. But, the supply on hand is what they have. When it is gone, it is gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeoHack said:

Were they purchased from EMED or another place? I bought mine back in June from emed and got a Oct date which was extended to Jan 2022. 

I purchased from Optum (a 3-pack).  

In addition to the cruises we have booked (Oct/Apr) we also travel to Canada, and have to be tested for that. So although these tests won't work for our April cruise, hopefully we will be able to use them before they expire.