Superbowl Sunday

ElizaSTN

I just realized that (thanks to an expanded regular season schedule) Super Bowl Sunday falls on February 13th - when we’ll be onboard the Escape!  Does anyone know what NCL has done in the past?  Will the game be available on the TVs in the staterooms?  One member of our group is in a Haven Aft cabin and was thinking of hosting a small party but not sure if the game will be on. 

looking forward to watching my Tennessee Titans bring home the Lombardi Trophy for the first time. 

• Like 1

I have the same exact question for the AFC championship game, which I hope to be able to watch my Cleveland Browns play in (two weeks before the Super Bowl)!  Did get to see the Cleveland/Golden State NBA finals a couple of times while onboard several years back and that was great fun.

Fingers crossed that NCL has my football...

19 minutes ago, ElizaSTN said:

I just realized that (thanks to an expanded regular season schedule) Super Bowl Sunday falls on February 13th - when we’ll be onboard the Escape!  Does anyone know what NCL has done in the past?  Will the game be available on the TVs in the staterooms?  One member of our group is in a Haven Aft cabin and was thinking of hosting a small party but not sure if the game will be on. 

looking forward to watching my Tennessee Titans bring home the Lombardi Trophy for the first time. 

My wife and I were on the Escape for the Eagles - Pats bowl game. The game was on everywhere on the ship, special foods, big cakes. They showed it on the big screen inside and at Spice H20. One thing to remember, because of the Sat feed you see the game and game only. No pregame show, no commercials. It was kind of strange and refreshing not to have to sit thru the commercials. I forget what was playing, screen might have gone blank?

No halftime show either 

I have been on the Escape and the Bliss for two super bowls. Both times, they had the game on screen everywhere across the ship. They had parties on the pool deck and in the Atrium. The Atrium was decorated with balloons in the team colors and they had popcorn.

Looks like my husband caught a bit of the Super Bowl on the pool deck of the Bliss in this video tour he did:

Edited by JamieLogical

6 minutes ago, ElizaSTN said:

Thanks all!  Does anyone know if the game will be available on the TVs in staterooms?? 

It was when I went on Breakaway pre covid. No commercials or pregane shows. I don't remember if they showed half time show, sorry.

14 minutes ago, knitlady037 said:

It was when I went on Breakaway pre covid. No commercials or pregane shows. I don't remember if they showed half time show, sorry.

Oh, that's a good point about the commercials. If you only watch the Super Bowl for the commercials, you will be VERY disappointed trying to watch it on a cruise ship!

• 1 year later...
On 9/20/2021 at 3:10 PM, knitlady037 said:

I think that has something to do with it being in 4k and the commercials aren't in 4k.  When I had directv, I had a channel that was 4k and the commercials weren't shown during football games.  

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Similar question - what about New Year’s Day games? Do they show any of the Bowls? 

I traveled on Getaway during New Year's Day this year. I do not recall seeing any college games. The Freestyle Daily had a bunch of NFL games listed since it was a Sunday. I suppose you might have Monday Night Football. Don't count on bowl games though. Maybe you'll get lucky!

image.thumb.jpeg.17736915ddb029220cc4180346992ece.jpeg

• Thanks 1

NCL does not have contracts to broadcast games that are on network tv. They do have contracts with a few European sports channels. They mostly have soccer games on. If a US game is on ESPN it will be shown on the ship. Commercials are regional and you will not see them. The superbowl is a big game and they do special parties. During commercial breaks, they just had a blank screen with a message saying show will be back shortly. If you have a streaming service you may be able to watch the games if you have the premium wifi. Hulu live has worked for me depending on where we are located. Youtube tv may also work. Try signing up for the free promo and see if it works on the ship.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Gem in 2013, during the "Blackout" Bowl.  They had the game on the big screen in the Theater and the Atrium, most, if not all the bars with TVs, and the cabins.

We also had some pretty rough seas... the curtains on each side of the stage were swaying back and forth.  DW grabbed a ginger ale on her way back to the cabin.

During the blackout period, the staff kept everyone entertained and full of popcorn.  We had a much better time than the people at the game...

On 9/20/2021 at 2:09 PM, JamieLogical said:

I have been on the Escape and the Bliss for two super bowls. Both times, they had the game on screen everywhere across the ship. They had parties on the pool deck and in the Atrium. The Atrium was decorated with balloons in the team colors and they had popcorn.

Looks like my husband caught a bit of the Super Bowl on the pool deck of the Bliss in this video tour he did:

Not only did he catch a bit of the Superbowl, but he captured what was, IMO, the most important play of that game (Jason McCourty screaming out of nowhere to break up and otherwise sure touchdown to Brandin Cooks).