Any word on Bermuda?

landsear

I'm booked on the Legend to Bermuda in 6 weeks. I am hearing all sorts of stuff about the multiple testing requirements. Bermuda also apparently just pulled 4 passengers off of a Crystal ship there and are making them quarantine on the island. 

Does anyone know if Carnival is still planning to go to Bermuda? I'm hoping for an itinerary change at this point, but I don't know when we'd hear about it.

Thanks!

I am also booked on the Legend to Bermuda in 6 weeks. OP did you follow the NCL Breakaway roll call that left for Bermuda on 9/26 from NYC? Lots of info on the requirements. It is concerning and I hope that Carnival is on top of this. I actually emailed my concern to my PVP last week. He called me and assured me that Carnival is aware of the situation and we will be advised soon of their plan. I hope that plan is to assist us in meeting the requirements and we do get to keep our itinerary. I booked this cruise because I wanted Bermuda. Other options would have been cheaper and unless we do something awesome it will be a let down.

Same here, emailed PVP and his response was no that’s only for flying into Bermuda.  We sent him the Bermuda website about cruise ships and needing a TA and testing etc, he said never heard of that and will get back to us ASAP.  Last time we booked Bermuda out of New York a couple of years ago we went out with the hurricane coming went to SC and then circled around the ocean to kill the days to go back.  Hopefully we go to Bermuda and can see the island like days of old.

Just returned from the 9/26 sailing on Breakaway to Bermuda. I can say that NCL did a very poor job explaining the Bermuda Travel Authorization requirements. That was evident in the fact that we departed at 9:00 PM. The word on the street was that 25% of the passengers did not have their TA in order to board. Thank goodness we had a very active Roll Coll so we were very well prepared. 

For a Sunday cruise DW and I had to get a PCR test Wed. Results came back Friday afternoon. We had to go on the Bermuda TA website pay our $75.00. Then we received a link to upload a copy of PCR results and vaccine card. Roughly 5 hours later we received out TA (Travel Authorization) 

On Sunday we showed up at the pier in NYC. They used Pier 90 as a testing center. There we received a rapid Antigen test (a requirement for all NCL salings) and a PCR test that would be sent to Bermuda. About an hout later we got our negative rapid antigen results and were given a pink Bracelet . With that Bracelet we were allowed to proceed to pier 88 . There check-in was just like the old days except we were wearing a mask. Once on the ship we were told to remove mask for facial recognition. Since pax and crew are 100% vacciniated that was the last time we had to wear a mask on ship. Only needed a mask in Bermuda and when we went back in terminal in NYC. Once we got through the testing it really felt like a regular cruise. I'd imagine that if Carnival sails to Bermuda the process will be the same.

• Like 2

So 2 PCR's and 1 Rapid + $75.00  to Bermuda Tourism? That's not too bad, just a pain when you're so excited to cruise to begin with. I've been toying with the idea of a Bermuda cruise if my Tampa ends up getting cancelled. I'll just wait and see how Carnival actually decides to handle this. 

1 hour ago, sammee said:

So 2 PCR's and 1 Rapid + $75.00  to Bermuda Tourism? That's not too bad, just a pain when you're so excited to cruise to begin with. I've been toying with the idea of a Bermuda cruise if my Tampa ends up getting cancelled. I'll just wait and see how Carnival actually decides to handle this. 

The two PCR tests are a Bermudian requirement to obtain a TA (travel authorization) The rapid Antigen test is an NCL requirement for all sailings. This is done at the pier everywhere NCL sails from. It is in lieu of the Pre- Test Carnival and Royal require passengers take 2 days before departing. The whole process wasn't too bad. The only nerve racking part was worrying if the Wed. PCR test results would be back in time to upload to Bermuda site. We opted for "free test" at a local CVS. Some folks paid as much as $225.00 for a rapid PCR test to assure results were back in time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYcruzzer said:

The two PCR tests are a Bermudian requirement to obtain a TA (travel authorization) The rapid Antigen test is an NCL requirement for all sailings. This is done at the pier everywhere NCL sails from. It is in lieu of the Pre- Test Carnival and Royal require passengers take 2 days before departing. The whole process wasn't too bad. The only nerve racking part was worrying if the Wed. PCR test results would be back in time to upload to Bermuda site. We opted for "free test" at a local CVS. Some folks paid as much as $225.00 for a rapid PCR test to assure results were back in time. 

I understood it, I just dumbed it down with my comment. It's not so bad. I hope Carnival follows this path if it has to be done. Seems to be the most straight forward.

Edited by sammee
Hit save by accident

Yes I hope that Carnival provides testing at the pier to satisfy the CDC requirement. I closely followed that NCL roll call and it seemed stressful enough getting the PCR on Wednesday to get the info in on Thursday to get the required Travel Authorization on time and get to the Ship on Sunday.

Imagine having to get another test on your own to meet the 2 day?

7 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

It's very simple. If Carnival wants to cruise to Bermuda, they need to follow Bermuda's rules. If Bermuda has these requirements, then yes, passengers will be expected to follow them.

Yes, and I don't know why anyone would think anything dfferntly than that.

Carnival Legend, Nov 14th Cruise:

Some good info on this thread, than you all. I'm still not sure what will need to be done as requirements seem to continuously change. Right now I'm looking at two tests before boarding, I think. One four days out for the Bermuda TA,  Travel Authorization and one two days out on Friday for Sunday boarding. 

My thought is the the 4 day out test was a suggestion, Bermuda just wants to see a PCR test, so the 2-day out Friday PCR (rapid one) with results the same day could work for both the Carnival and Bermuda. I can upload to Bermuda on Friday or Saturday. Still looking for some clarity in the next few weeks. 

Edited by DKcruiser10

2 minutes ago, DKcruiser10 said:

2-day out Friday PCR (rapid one) with results the same day could work for both

Yes that is what I thought as well. The issue as I understood it was the NCL passengers needed to have a Travel Authorization from Bermuda to even enter the pier in NY. Many were clearing that hurdle just in time to cruise and that was based on a test Wednesday.

7 hours ago, Ellusionz said:

I can never remember which tests are which... is that proctored home test acceptable for this or that a diff type?

It would not meet the Bermuda requirement.It must be a PCR. Bermuda suggests rapid PCRs, which are costly.

19 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

It's very simple. If Carnival wants to cruise to Bermuda, they need to follow Bermuda's rules. If Bermuda has these requirements, then yes, passengers will be expected to follow them.

Carnival has reportedly told people they're working on an agreement. I would like to know what is actually required sooner rather than later.

15 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Well I guess because NCL seemed to want to go to Bermuda, sold a cruise there and apparently didn't assist their customers properly leaving them at the pier. 

Shame on NCL.

• Like 1

Heard back from our PVP, he sent it up the chain and response from upper management was that Carnival is working with Bermuda and will send out directive shortly.  Also he is saying that Carnivals cruise is different from others like NCL because everyone on this ship needs to be vaccinated.  Hopefully we hear something soon.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:29 PM, DKcruiser10 said:

Carnival Legend, Nov 14th Cruise:

Some good info on this thread, than you all. I'm still not sure what will need to be done as requirements seem to continuously change. Right now I'm looking at two tests before boarding, I think. One four days out for the Bermuda TA,  Travel Authorization and one two days out on Friday for Sunday boarding. 

My thought is the the 4 day out test was a suggestion, Bermuda just wants to see a PCR test, so the 2-day out Friday PCR (rapid one) with results the same day could work for both the Carnival and Bermuda. I can upload to Bermuda on Friday or Saturday. Still looking for some clarity in the next few weeks. 

On 10/3/2021 at 9:35 PM, Ilovesailaway said:

Yes that is what I thought as well. The issue as I understood it was the NCL passengers needed to have a Travel Authorization from Bermuda to even enter the pier in NY. Many were clearing that hurdle just in time to cruise and that was based on a test Wednesday.

In theory having one test meets both requirements but the sticking point is giving Bermuda enough time to process the Travel Authorization. As things stand right now if you don't have that you don't get to board no matter how many negative tests you have. Also, as I understand it (and this is of course only my understanding and I have been wrong before, just ask DW😉) that the rapid at home proctored test is acceptable to Bermuda. I just know that the first drink of the day is going to taste super good after all of this.

29 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

It is my understanding that NCL also has a 100% requirement VAX requirement. In fact, they sued Florida to be able to enforce it.

You are correct, NCL requires vaccines. They even go one step farther and test passengers at the pier before allowing them to board.

It does not bolster my confidence in Carnival that they were not aware of that.  I hope that Carnival does not assume they have some sort of advantage here.

This is going to take representatives from Bermuda, Carnival, and the US to get together and come up with a plan. Then they need to follow through and assist passengers in following that plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

In theory having one test meets both requirements but the sticking point is giving Bermuda enough time to process the Travel Authorization. As things stand right now if you don't have that you don't get to board no matter how many negative tests you have. Also, as I understand it (and this is of course only my understanding and I have been wrong before, just ask DW😉) that the rapid at home proctored test is acceptable to Bermuda. I just know that the first drink of the day is going to taste super good after all of this.

Bermuda does indeed allow for a proctored PCR test. It isn't a rapid Antigen test like the Binax that people are using for Carnival and Royal. Per Bermudian government the link below explains a test that is acceptable.

https://www.costco.com/covid-19-saliva-pcr-test-kit-with-video-observation-for-travel%2c-by-azova.product.100722920.html

• Like 1