Women’s jacket recommendations?

Eggtuary

I apologize if this is too general (not really Viking-specific) but this forum has been very tolerant of newbie questions, so here goes:  any recommendations for women’s jackets while onboard?  I found where to buy the men’s Viking mid layer jacket sold on board. I’m guessing that will be pretty much perfect for wearing out on the veranda or on deck when the ship is moving through the Mediterranean on cooler early spring mornings or evenings. And it looks very packable. 

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_us/vc-crew-midlayer-jkt-28628?color=290548

They sell a women’s version, but my wife was hoping for something less form fitting. Everything I can find is either form-fitting (and easily packed) or bulky. I’m hoping one of the women here has found something light but warm that isn’t too form-fitting. 

Thanks!

I have  light weight down jacket that can be stuffed  into it own pocket. Also a couple of light weight  vests.

Have your wife look at Lands Ends, Eddie Bauer and Talbots online for a light jacket. She should find what she needs. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had asked this same question on another forum.  I ended up buying a packable "puffy" jacket in Costco!  It may be too form fitting for your wife.  She could try getting a size larger?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

I apologize if this is too general (not really Viking-specific) but this forum has been very tolerant of newbie questions, so here goes:  any recommendations for women’s jackets while onboard?  I found where to buy the men’s Viking mid layer jacket sold on board. I’m guessing that will be pretty much perfect for wearing out on the veranda or on deck when the ship is moving through the Mediterranean on cooler early spring mornings or evenings. And it looks very packable. 

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_us/vc-crew-midlayer-jkt-28628?color=290548

They sell a women’s version, but my wife was hoping for something less form fitting. Everything I can find is either form-fitting (and easily packed) or bulky. I’m hoping one of the women here has found something light but warm that isn’t too form-fitting. 

Thanks!

LL Bean has a great lightweight jacket.   It's the 850 jacket and is very warm and light weight.  Took mine to Iceland.

• Like 1

I have a number of llbean "stowaway" jackets and vests...Great for traveling.  when possible I opt for a hood!  these also layer really well under the "stowaway" longer coat!!!

• Like 1

So I received the Viking men’s jacket yesterday (that I linked in the first post). While there is a lot to like about it, and it’s certainly high quality, I just don’t think the fit is for me.

I’m increasingly jealous of my wife’s Bean jacket. Turns out there is a men’s version. And it’s on sale!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

It’s also a good idea to have some kind of wrap or shawl to wear in the restaurants or other indoor venues. It’s often chilly inside, even if you are in the tropics. And I feel like Viking likes chilly temps more than other lines!

FYI - I bought the men’s version of my wife’s new jacket. It’s surprisingly warm though certainly not a heavy winter coat. But I think it will be perfect on our trip for those times in spring when it’s a bit chilly. Or when we want to be outside on deck when the ship is moving.   And it packs up into itself in a very small package!

8 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Curious about what type of jacket people brought for the northern light cruises in Norway in February/March.  I know to pack in layers, but if one will be out late at night for hours, it seems like a very warm Jack would be desirable.

thanks.

Don't forget about your legs, feet, hands, head face. If these aren't warm as well, it won't matter how warm your jacket keeps you. Unless you are a skier ⛷,  it will feel a whole lot colder than you could ever imagine.  

Don't look to cotton to keep you warm. Look to wool and moisture wicking winter sports gear.  They are thinner and easier to pack than a sweatshirt.  

45 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Don't forget about your legs, feet, hands, head face. If these aren't warm as well, it won't matter how warm your jacket keeps you. Unless you are a skier ⛷,  it will feel a whole lot colder than you could ever imagine.  

Don't look to cotton to keep you warm. Look to wool and moisture wicking winter sports gear.  They are thinner and easier to pack than a sweatshirt.  

Thank you.  Yes we have been on a NE Greenland expedition cruise and know about all the layers: base layer, a fleece middle layer and then a waterproof outer layer.  For feet liner socks, wool socks and a warm boot.  Gators, hats, water proof gloves over liner gloves.  However, on the expedition cruise they loaned us Muck boots and gave us a heavy warm jacket… we didn’t have to pack them… just “carry on”the jacket home.  So I was trying to determine if we needed to bring that heavy (with a zip out liner)  jacket or we could use something a little less bulky.  Do the Aurora excursions provide extra  warm jackets for the evening?

Edited by SoBaycruiser