Jump to content

Covid 19 insurance for cruising


Recommended Posts

Ok,

Time to book a cruise now we opening up for travel. Going to book the Transpacific Honolulu to Brisbane Oct 2022 and wondering if anyone knows where I can start with insurance that will cover us for any Covid 19 related issues if it raises it ugly head.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Snoopkat said:

I use Cover-More for my land travel and there is a section in their PDS about their cover for COVID. (starts at page 46)

 

The thread mentioned above has more info, and Covermore is one of the few so far that cover Covid related issues. But if your travel includes a cruise there's no cover at all for anything Covid related during or after the cruise. 

So far there are no Australian insurers covering Covid issues on a cruise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, adelaidefc said:

 

The thread mentioned above has more info, and Covermore is one of the few so far that cover Covid related issues. But if your travel includes a cruise there's no cover at all for anything Covid related during or after the cruise. 

So far there are no Australian insurers covering Covid issues on a cruise. 

That’s it in a nutshell 

Cheers Carole

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I am surprised anyone has booked future cruises with no insurance available. Do not go without.

So far all my future cruises have been cancelled. Time enough to worry about travel insurance when it looks like a future cruise will actually happen.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I am surprised anyone has booked future cruises with no insurance available. Do not go without.

 

37 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So far all my future cruises have been cancelled. Time enough to worry about travel insurance when it looks like a future cruise will actually happen.

We only have one booked for November 2022. But if we are unable to purchase  travel insurance that includes Covid coverage, we will cancel. Not travelling without TI.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure I've missed something, but for an entirely domestic cruise do you really need insurance beyond something a credit card would offer?

 

If you got seriously ill I'm sure the ship would just tender you or berth the nearest port, at which point Medicare covers you. 

If you got Covid before the cruise and couldn't board, the cruiseline offers you future cruise credit or refund. 

If you got Covid on the cruise you'd isolate until a port (or for the remainder of the cruise), then disembark and isolate. This is the only slightly risky scenario, as if you were out of your home state you may need to stay somewhere locally to isolate as you may not be allowed on a plane. If you were sick enough, you'd just go to hospital - Medicare covering you. 

 

Is there anything I'm missing? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any time you need to visit the medical centre on a domestic cruise it is chargeable (not covered by Medicare). So trip and fall down stairs and need doctor on board, be prepared to pay $'00s at least. Even something minor that needs medical attention on board will need to be paid for.

One thing to consider though is that TI at the moment is not covering any COVD situations on a multi-night cruise and also does not cover a situation where the border (state included) has been closed and you can't travel to meet the ship. 

Never travel without insurance. Have used CC insurance off and on in the past but they are a bit patchy on what they cover I have found. On the cost of a cruise the extra for TI is minor.

Also it looks like TI will be compulsory on some lines (if not all) regardless of destination or itinerary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, adelaidefc said:

I'm sure I've missed something, but for an entirely domestic cruise do you really need insurance beyond something a credit card would offer?

 

If you got seriously ill I'm sure the ship would just tender you or berth the nearest port, at which point Medicare covers you. 

If you got Covid before the cruise and couldn't board, the cruiseline offers you future cruise credit or refund. 

If you got Covid on the cruise you'd isolate until a port (or for the remainder of the cruise), then disembark and isolate. This is the only slightly risky scenario, as if you were out of your home state you may need to stay somewhere locally to isolate as you may not be allowed on a plane. If you were sick enough, you'd just go to hospital - Medicare covering you. 

 

Is there anything I'm missing? 

What if you became seriously ill with Covid onboard and needed to be quickly removed to hospital. That may require an airlift, will your CC TI cover that? Medicare won't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

What if you became seriously ill with Covid onboard and needed to be quickly removed to hospital. That may require an airlift, will your CC TI cover that? Medicare won't.

It depends on the cruise 


Have you looked at the itineraries for the cruises that Silversea are proposing to run on the east coast from late Dec to February for example? They’re never more than 2 days at sea without being in an Australian port. I’m not a Doctor but are you likely to contract Covid and be asymptomatic then become seriously ill such that you require to be medi faced when double vaccinated against Covid?


If yes then you should get Travel Insurance - if not then why would you need it on those cruises?

Edited by Stickman1990
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, possum52 said:

What if you became seriously ill with Covid onboard and needed to be quickly removed to hospital. That may require an airlift, will your CC TI cover that? Medicare won't.

Most probably would not cover it, so you would have to sell your house to pay the bill, scary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, possum52 said:

What if you became seriously ill with Covid onboard and needed to be quickly removed to hospital. That may require an airlift, will your CC TI cover that? Medicare won't.


Perhaps it’s best you avoid cruising for a while 

 

How many cases of Covid have you heard of where they become that acute so quickly they require hospitalisation? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

How many cases of Covid have you heard of where they become that acute so quickly they require hospitalisation? 

There have been a few reported, Terry, including cases who never made it to hospital and who died at home. But the majority, if not all, were unvaccinated. 

 

The travel insurance companies need to get their act together. Fully vaccinated people now should be no more risk than most people were pre-Covid. Particularly for domestic cruising.

 

BTW what is happening with your Silversea cruise with Queensland now saying their border won't open until after Christmas?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

BTW what is happening with your Silversea cruise with Queensland now saying their border won't open until after Christmas?


That’s not what I understand Queensland’s position to be. They open their borders to fully vaxed travellers from NSW from 17 December. Have you seen something else that contradicts that?

 

The cruise is still on but clearly several things to deal with before it is confirmed

 

On the subject of Covid and domestic cruises - I still maintain it would be very unusual for a fully vaxed person to contract Covid, be asymptomatic and then suddenly require medical vac from the ship when it’s rarely more than a day from port on a domestic cruise

 

If people believe that is a big risk they shouldn’t cruise 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

On the subject of Covid and domestic cruises - I still maintain it would be very unusual for a fully vaxed person to contract Covid, be asymptomatic and then suddenly require medical vac from the ship when it’s rarely more than a day from port on a domestic cruise

 

If people believe that is a big risk they shouldn’t cruise 

 

Yep exactly my thought. The Qld cruise I booked next year is never more than a day from a port. And borders closing again will almost certainly mean the cruise is cancelled. 

We may still consider insurance even without Covid cover, as @Aussieflyer mentioned, accidents and other illnesses still happen, and onboard care is expensive. But Covid itself is unlikely to render you so ill so quickly you need an air evac. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:


That’s not what I understand Queensland’s position to be. They open their borders to fully vaxed travellers from NSW from 17 December. Have you seen something else that contradicts that?

I looked for other reporting of the QLD border being closed over Christmas, but could only find a Sky News article. Take that for what it is worth.😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I looked for other reporting of the QLD border being closed over Christmas, but could only find a Sky News article. Take that for what it is worth.😉

 

Queensland have set the date as 17 Dec, or 80% 16+ double vax coverage. It's starting to look like it may be even earlier than the 17th. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-01/qld-coronavirus-covid-vaccine-not-too-late/100582664 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:


That’s not what I understand Queensland’s position to be. They open their borders to fully vaxed travellers from NSW from 17 December. Have you seen something else that contradicts that?

 

The cruise is still on but clearly several things to deal with before it is confirmed

 

On the subject of Covid and domestic cruises - I still maintain it would be very unusual for a fully vaxed person to contract Covid, be asymptomatic and then suddenly require medical vac from the ship when it’s rarely more than a day from port on a domestic cruise

 

If people believe that is a big risk they shouldn’t cruise 

There have been a couple of reports that Queensland isn't going to open their borders until they reach 90% fully vaccinated, which they expect to be sometime in January. Other reports are still saying 17 December. I guess you'll just have to wait and see what happens. And, of course, there still hasn't been any indication from the government that cruise ships will be allowed to operate here.

 

I agree the risk would be very low for fully vaccinated passengers on a domestic cruise, especially if they'd just had the booster shot as well - according to the SMH this morning that reduces the risk of hospitalisation by 93%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would not want to be on a ship with all those unvaccinated Queenslanders, lol.    My prediction is there will be a spike in Covid cases in NSW and Victoria in the next month or so and Queen Anna P will keep the borders closed, including no cruising.  Watch this space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:


Perhaps it’s best you avoid cruising for a while 

 

How many cases of Covid have you heard of where they become that acute so quickly they require hospitalisation? 

Really, I just might do that! I actually know of several cases exactly like that in my own area. And fully vaccinated. They were older folk as many of us on this board are, vaccination doesn't prevent one from being hospitalised but may prevent death. I certainly won't be cruising without TI with Covid coverage. 

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

Really, I just might do that! I actually know of several cases exactly like that in my own area. And fully vaccinated. They were older folk as many of us on this board are, vaccination doesn't prevent one from being hospitalised but may prevent death. I certainly won't be cruising without TI with Covid coverage. 

The only problem so far is that none of the TI companies I have researched currently provide coverage for COVID on a cruise. The border closure issue is a worry as one state closing a border may not lead to the cancellation of the cruise. For example if SA blocked ACT residents from entering, a cruise visiting there would still happen but anyone from the ACT would not be able to board. This isn't covered by TI either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...