Royal Caribbean Covid testing requirement

zabs

1 minute ago, CPT Trips said:

I just don’t understand why a cruise line won’t  do pre boarding tests at the pier as part of the boarding process.

My guess is congestion. Even 15 min tests would choke up the boarding process if they did EVERYONE at the pier. They would have to space people out from 10am to 6pm to accomplish that. Much faster to just check your printout as you check in

2 minutes ago, jrapps said:

My guess is congestion. Even 15 min tests would choke up the boarding process if they did EVERYONE at the pier. They would have to space people out from 10am to 6pm to accomplish that. Much faster to just check your printout as you check in

that and cost.

So, RCI does offer limited rapid tests at the pier for like $99.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

11 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

a friend of mine is a Lyft driver. He has worked through the entire pandemic, transported thousands of people, wore a mask religiously and didn't get Covid. His wife works at the hospital (a nurse) and didn't get covid either. They are 60+ yo.

So, yeah, masks work. They are not a magical force field, but they do work.

No disrespect intended but I will look at larger sample sizes and more scientific studies than some dude and his wife as anecdotal evidence.  Maybe there is some other variable that helped your buddy and his wife.  Whatever it is/was, good for them.

Best scientific study you will find is around 15% efficacy at best and that is with 100% proper usage.  Some studies show single digit efficacy.  Wear the mask since it is better than zero but as the warning on the box states it is not intended to prevent the spread of viruses. 

3 minutes ago, Bradison said:

No disrespect intended but I will look at larger sample sizes and more scientific studies than some dude and his wife as anecdotal evidence.  Maybe there is some other variable that helped your buddy and his wife.  Whatever it is/was, good for them.

Best scientific study you will find is around 15% efficacy at best and that is with 100% proper usage.  Some studies show single digit efficacy.  Wear the mask since it is better than zero but as the warning on the box states it is not intended to prevent the spread of viruses. 

Duh!

even your uncited claim of single digit efficacy in a population of millions is worth the small effort of wearing a mask.

On 10/20/2021 at 2:37 PM, zabs said:

We are sailing on December 5th on the Oasis. I'm concerned about Royal's 48 hour Covid test requirement. We're arriving in Miami Friday for a Sunday sailing. If I understand correctly that means we have to find a testing site in Miami on Friday. Has anyone encountered this situation? I also understand there is LIMITED testing at the port. Has anyone had luck getting their test at the port? Also, I know there are 2 testing sites at Miami airport. Has anyone used them?  We are fully vaccinated and I feel the 48 hour requirement is over the top for vaccinated passengers. Royal are you listening? 

Go to Miami dade COVID testing on line it will give you locations for free testing.sites. Sign up. We had our test yesterday at dolphin mall parking lot 4K. Got back an antigen test in 1 hour and about hour and half had pcr test back 

On 11/5/2021 at 10:47 AM, jrapps said:

Doesn't seem to be a problem for another line

On 11/5/2021 at 10:49 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

that and cost.

So, RCI does offer limited rapid tests at the pier for like $99.

$150 is the cost to the consumer at Bayonne . . . not “like $99.” But the cost to the cruise line would be considerably lower.

Edited by CPT Trips

29 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

$150 is the cost to the consumer at Bayonne . . . not “like $99.” But the cost to the cruise line would be considerably lower.

well, sorry, I remembered only the $99 part:

Test on boarding day

A last-resort option with LIMITED availability. Make an appointment to take your pre-cruise test with a mobile provider outside the terminal before you check in. Cost starts from $99 per person. 

12 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

But the cost to the cruise line would be considerably lower.

I doubt there's any cost to the cruise line - the vendors providing this service seem to be totally independent and doubt they have a kick back agreement with the cruiseline.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

I doubt there's any cost to the cruise line - the vendors providing this service seem to be totally independent and doubt they have a kick back agreement with the cruiseline.

That’s not what I meant. I’m certain that when the cruise line contracts with a lab for the testing the price per test is way less than starting from $99.

38 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

That’s not what I meant. I’m certain that when the cruise line contracts with a lab for the testing the price per test is way less than starting from $99.

Sure, if they were using it for themselves, but in this case they are not. 

On 10/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, Maitaivegas said:

Just read an article that states the US will stop testing people coming into the US from Mexico if they are traveling by land. Phase 1 starts in November 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2021/10/12/vaccinated-tourists-cross-us-land-ferry-borders-canada-mexico-november/8429291002/

The US never tested people coming into the US from Mexico if they’re traveling by land. This is why Tijuana Airport is so popular for many people living in San Diego… park on the US side, fly to random Mexican beach resort for vacation, come back home without any COVID testing. Just have to pay the $17 each way to use the San Diego / Tijuana CBX Airport crossing. Phase 1 is starting to allow vaccinated tourists into the US via land crossing.