Traditional or Anytime Dining With Allergies?

Scottishclover

In the past we have cruised Disney but are looking to try  Celebrity  now our girls are grown up. For those people who have cruised Celebrity with allergies, is it better to choose traditional dining over anytime so that you have the same serving team each night? We would like to try the 4 different MDRs on Apex but not sure if organising anytime dining will just be too much hassle. One coeliac requiring gluten free and 1 vegan in our party.

Fill in a Special Needs form before you sail.

I am Dairy Intolerant and eat in the Select dining area of the main dining room. I pre book our dining time and have always had the same servers.

On our recent Staycation on Silhouette, the Maitre’D suggested a salad to go with my main course, as vegetables were limited, as many are cooked with butter.

• Thanks 1

As previously  stated, you can fill out a Special Needs form. But there's no difference between traditional and any time dining. You could have a word with the Maitre d' on your first day, and remind your server when seated.  However the menus in the MDRs have symbols indicating gluten free and vegetarian options. Vegan will probably require more effort. Sometimes at the end of a meal the server may go over appropriate options for the next night, to help increase the number of options available.

10 hours ago, mom says said:

However the menus in the MDRs have symbols indicating gluten free and vegetarian options.

As yet, the app doesn’t have these symbols.

I am always given the opportunity to book for the following evening meal, before leaving the dining room.

48 minutes ago, Scottishclover said:

Thanks everyone for all the reassurance. I think we will book traditional dining so we are with the same servers each night. 

Hopefully I can help you.

I have a severe nut allergy. All nuts + peanuts as far as I know. I cary medication.

Cruising with Celebrity has worked well for me... generally!

a) I completed my special needs/request form and submitted it to the office in Weybridge, Surrey.

b) Upon embarkation, I found the maitre'd for my default restaurant i.e. Luminae

c) I reminded the concierge for Suite class

d) I reminded the waiter at the start of each meal

e) I reminded my stateroom butler and attendant

f) If I ate at other restaurants on board, I spoke to the maitre'd  and waiting staff

g) I avoided most food on excursions and requested a packed lunch etc through my butler

Did it all work? Yes, apart from two desserts in Luminae! Luckily, I spotted part of a nut before I took a bite! I took this up with the Head Chef of the ship and received many apologies and a bottle of seriously good red. Frankly, I would have prefered nut-free food!

So, enjoy a cruise but do be proactive! And if there is an issue, complain because there a huge health issues!

Stephen 

• Like 1

We cruise with our granddaughter who has a nut allergy and carries an epipen.  We have always had Anytime dining.  We inform the maitre'd the first night and our waiters EVERY night.  The problem we have found is that some of the items are purchased from outside vendors and the ship does not make them on board, especially deserts.  Our granddaughter usually sticks to ice cream.  There is also a problem, sometimes, with breads and dinner rolls.  Many times, they have brought her a plateful of wonderful hard rolls that are made in a special part of the kitchen.

We also have a nephew with a severe nut allergy.   His parents have never risked his life in restaurants.   They even bought an RV so they could prepare food and be sure he was not exposed to nuts.   He requires hospitalization following use of an epi pen so a doctor on a cruise ship would not be an acceptable alternative.    

I am actually currently gluten and dairy free (not allergies but stomach issues) and can't tolerate soy or nut milks  - wondering if they would have rice or oat milk on board? Can I ask for this?  or do I have to bring some onboard?