Junkanoo Beach in Nassau - safety?

micheecruise

My family and I typically hit Junkanoo Beach when porting in Nassau, we love the local vibe and in the past it has always been a nice beach to visit for a few hours..  We are going on a cruise in December and I am wondering about the safety of Junkanoo at this time (post COVID).  Are there still a lot of tourists that visit that beach?  Are the food vendors still open?  Any info would be appreciated!  

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Nassau twice in September and as a solo traveler walked to Junkanoo each time.

I never felt unsafe. There are plenty of vendors for food, drinks and chairs/umbrellas. 

I hadn’t been to Nassau and Junkanoo beach since 2017 and it has really cleaned up nicely. I think b/c the new Margaritaville Hotel is next door they keep it cleaner. 

There wasn’t litter and trash on the beach like there had been in the past. The water was clean and there were other cruise ship passengers, but it wasn’t packed at all. 

I would recommend going there if you want a low to now cost beach day. 

• Like 1

@klass2, did you find the ongoing construction disrupting your day at all? I didn’t see much actual construction going on when we were in Nassau in September, but we did a snorkel excursion that picked us up right at the cruise pier. We loved the pier pick up & drop off, but didn’t give us much of an idea what it would be like on land. Any input would be appreciated. 

Nope. The construction at the port was far enough away that I didn’t hear a thing. There is however a building the that is incomplete (island time construction) that is attached to pier that goes to the Margaritaville building. 

It was kinda ugly to look at but if you sit down towards the restaurants it won’t be in the line of sight. 

The pier is noisy and under construction when walking from the ship to the main port area where they will eventually have new buildings. After I exited the gates and walked a block there wasn’t really any construction noise. 

We were just there last week and didn't find the construction to be bothersome at all.

We exited the port, turned right, then walked until that street forced us to turn left (to walk around the hotel) and make a right again. It was not a long walk at all. 

Plenty of food and drink vendors at the beach. We snorkeled right off the beach (on our own, no tour) and enjoyed it.

We also walked all over Nassau and never once felt unsafe. Many streets lack sidewalks, so be aware of your surroundings. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 9:04 AM, prish said:

How does one get to Junkanoo beach from the cruise terminal, we’ll be on the Celebrity Apex. Thanks 😊 

You can walk from the port but since downtown is basically closed, might as well take a taxi.  The taxi drivers need the money...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We had a nice time. Walked to beach went a ways down the beach negotiated for 5 chairs and 2 umbrellas for $50 . Had a couple of beers and BBQ. Sorry I didn't bring my phone so no pictures. Felt safe. We just ignored the people offering us tours or taxi along the way. Beach wasn't crowded. If you're looking for low key I'd reccommed it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 10:53 AM, Luke gs Daddy said:

How was your day in Nassau?

We're going the 17th on January, seriously considering Junkanoo Beach.

Thanks

Would like to hear how your day in Nassau went.  I'll be there in just under 2 weeks and debating on walking to Junkanoo Beach.  (traveling solo).  Thanks.

On 1/18/2022 at 1:56 PM, ValerieJo said:

Would like to hear how your day in Nassau went.  I'll be there in just under 2 weeks and debating on walking to Junkanoo Beach.  (traveling solo).  Thanks.

Just got back. Small decent beach, easy and safe to get to.

No issues. I would recommend walking as you get to experience a little bit of their culture and see the town.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

Just got back. Small decent beach, easy and safe to get to.

No issues. I would recommend walking as you get to experience a little bit of their culture and see the town.

Thank you for responding.  Was there an entry fee?  Do you recall how much it was to rent a chair?  Thanks again.