Walgreen's drive thru rapid antigen test

Nebr.cruiser

We are trying to arrange our pre-cruise covid test.  On the Walgreens site it says the rapid test, apparently done by drive-thru, is a BinaxNow test.  Is this acceptable to Celebrity?  All I can find on their website is either PCR, which takes too long, or 'antigen test'.  I thought at one time I saw in their info 

'antigen test AKA rapid antigen test', but can't find that again or if there is certain type of rapid test needed.

8 hours ago, canderson said:

The test is acceptable, but be careful.  Walgreens and CVS have been known fairly frequently here for cancelling appointments due to lack of supplies.  Be sure you have a backup plan.

Are you talking about Walgreens and CVS there in FLL? We have to be tested on Friday for our cruise because we will be traveling all day on Thursday. Trying to find good places to be tested at. Preferably nearest Lago Mar, we will be staying there. We are also ordering the test from Celebrity as a backup plan. 

Thanks

29 minutes ago, pooh/tigger said:

Are you talking about Walgreens and CVS there in FLL?

None specifically.  OP is in Nebraska.  Have both heard here at CC, and have seen for myself here in Colorado, instances of supply shortages from time to time that cause cancellations.

We are in Nebraska, specifically close to Norfolk.  We were planning on flying to Florida on Sat. the 27th but just changed our flights to late on Friday the 26th, due to the fear of cancellations of flights.

We flew to Florida for an event three weeks ago and had our outgoing flights cancelled and had to stay overnight in Omaha, were very lucky to get on a flight the next day and made it to our event with an hour to spare.  Coming back, several hours of flight delay  but did finally make it back, although late.  So we are very cautious; from Nebraska, if flights were cancelled on Saturday, we would not make it to the ship on time.  It's almost impossible to fly in on the day of the cruise from here.

So we are trying to figure out how to get our tests done on Friday and get results before we head to the airport (2.5 hours away).  As far as I can find out Walgreens does the tests, but the CVS site was not working. 

It's good to know that the Walgreen's rapid test is accepted.  It's very tough to get the tests done two days before!

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

we have used Walgreens many times.  Resuts fast by email and never a problem with Celebrity

They send your results by email and then you print it out?  Or did you show them the results on your phone?  We have to get the test, get the results, and leave for the airport by about one o'clock on Friday.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Hello Nebraskans! My wife and I are going on Equinox on Nov. 7th.  We live in west Omaha.  We have rapid antigen scheduled for tomorrow morning at a CVS in La Vista. We scheduled our tests at 13 days out on the CVS website.  There are only a few CVS that are doing the rapid antigen test in our area.  I looked at having our tests at Walgreens but I didn't like that you couldn't reserve them out as far as CVS and I was worried about their turn around time on the tests.  CVS was saying 15-30 minutes, Walgreens was saying 24 hours or less.  We did buy at-home tests as a back up if for some reason our tests get cancelled.  We did get texts this morning from CVS confirming our times tomorrow morning so I'm pretty optimistic!  Hoping/praying for negative tests... can't wait to cruise again!!

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We are in Nebraska, specifically close to Norfolk.  We were planning on flying to Florida on Sat. the 27th but just changed our flights to late on Friday the 26th, due to the fear of cancellations of flights.

We flew to Florida for an event three weeks ago and had our outgoing flights cancelled and had to stay overnight in Omaha, were very lucky to get on a flight the next day and made it to our event with an hour to spare.  Coming back, several hours of flight delay  but did finally make it back, although late.  So we are very cautious; from Nebraska, if flights were cancelled on Saturday, we would not make it to the ship on time.  It's almost impossible to fly in on the day of the cruise from here.

So we are trying to figure out how to get our tests done on Friday and get results before we head to the airport (2.5 hours away).  As far as I can find out Walgreens does the tests, but the CVS site was not working. 

It's good to know that the Walgreen's rapid test is accepted.  It's very tough to get the tests done two days before!

Your situation sounds perfect for Celebrity's monitored test that you order. The monitoring is done through a Zoom type call and the monitors are overseas. so they are available, best I know, 24/7 and on holidays. One of the Retreat concierges on Equinox worked for awhile as a monitor in the Philippines before being called back to work by Celebrity, he had some great stories to tell about off hours testing.

I would look into that route for any cruise before Jan 2022.

Hi fellow Nebraskans and others for your help.  Yes, very ready to get back to cruising but hate all this rigamarole--but we will of course jump through the hoops.

I tried signing up on the Walgreen's app this morning but they are only scheduling 5 days out--we need our test on the 26th.  So far, I cannot see that our local CVS is doing tests and of course it is still more than 13 days out for us.

I probably should/will order the Celebrity tests but I am very leery about being actually able to do the Zoom monitoring; not sure I have ever used Zoom and the whole process sounds very intimidating.  Perhaps just bite the bullet and use it only if nothing else works out?  I also hate to pay for something that I may not use or be able to use correctly.

10 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I probably should/will order the Celebrity tests but I am very leery about being actually able to do the Zoom monitoring; not sure I have ever used Zoom and the whole process sounds very intimidating.  Perhaps just bite the bullet and use it only if nothing else works out?  I also hate to pay for something that I may not use or be able to use correctly.

FYI:  There are several good YouTube videos that show how to do the monitored tests.  You might want to take a look at them.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Thanks, I guess I'd better do that--although I hate You Tube!  I just tried installing the Zoom app on my phone and even having problems doing that!!!!

You don't need to install Zoom.  As the poster noted above, the process is Zoom-like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I also hate to pay for something that I may not use or be able to use correctly.

Well, that would be your cruise if you don't have a negative test result. 😁 I have an appointment booked for Dec. at a lab here, and will probably get the proctored tests as a backup. Better that than not be able to board because I couldn't get a test.

3 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

It is installed on my phone now, at least. Sorry to be so needy!

If you order the tests, you will need to install the NAVICA app. I ordered our tests from emed.com prior to X offering them.  When taking the test you will login to the NAVICA app and follow the instructions. There are some excellent YouTube videos of the actual testing process with novices (like us) 😅

I watched a few and felt confident... much better than stressing over a scheduled test being cancelled. Best of luck! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We are trying to arrange our pre-cruise covid test.  On the Walgreens site it says the rapid test, apparently done by drive-thru, is a BinaxNow test.  Is this acceptable to Celebrity?  All I can find on their website is either PCR, which takes too long, or 'antigen test'.  I thought at one time I saw in their info 

'antigen test AKA rapid antigen test', but can't find that again or if there is certain type of rapid test needed.

It may be different in different states.  Walgreen’s in IL offers a Rapid IDNow test.  It is not an antigen test.  It is a NAAT test that is a PCR.  The test process is very simple.  They collect a nasal sample using the drive up window.  They do the test on an in house machine after you leave.  They probably run a batch at the same time.   It is not instant and they email you a link with your results.  Although it says up to 24 hours, it has taken 2 hours or less for ours.  The only negative is you  cannot make a reservation more than 3 days in advance.  I believe they do this to be 100% certain that they have the required test supplies.  It is handled like a prescription.  Fortunately we have several Walgreen’s in every town in the Chicago Suburbs.  You just have to be flexible on the location and time.  The best time to get an appointment  is on the morning of the day that they add your targeted test day.  We have used Walgreens for five of these tests at 5 different locations. You can do a mock booking by filling out the information to see what is currently available in your area.  I know they only offer the test in certain states.

Edited by jagoffee

7 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

They send your results by email and then you print it out?  Or did you show them the results on your phone?  We have to get the test, get the results, and leave for the airport by about one o'clock on Friday.

I printed them out, but i am sure they can take a photo of the email on your phone

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

It may be different in different states.  Walgreen’s in IL offers a Rapid IDNow test.  It is not an antigen test.  It is a NAAT test that is a PCR.  The test process is very simple.  They collect a nasal sample using the drive up window.  They do the test on an in house machine after you leave.  They probably run a batch at the same time.   It is not instant and they email you a link with your results.  Although it says up to 24 hours, it has taken 2 hours or less for ours.  The only negative is you  cannot make a reservation more than 3 days in advance.  I believe they do this to be 100% certain that they have the required test supplies.  It is handled like a prescription.  Fortunately we have several Walgreen’s in every town in the Chicago Suburbs.  You just have to be flexible on the location and time.  The best time to get an appointment  is on the morning of the day that they add your targeted test day.  We have used Walgreens for five of these tests at 5 different locations. You can do a mock booking by filling out the information to see what is currently available in your area.  I know they only offer the test in certain states.

We were able to make our reservation at Walgreens for the Rapid ID Now test 5 days ahead of time. It is best to check with your local Walgreens as each may differ.

• Thanks 1