More questions about the Covid test required

ready2cruzagain

Okay, I think I figured out it is not as hard as I am making it but still confused.  We sail in Feb.  I was trying to do a test to see where I could get a shot. Is there a secret to it?  I put in the Antigen test (rapid and good for MSC right?). I have checked CVS, Walgreens and everywhere else I can think of.  Only lets me go two weeks out so was going to do a mock test run.  Everything I put in says nothing available.  Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to scheduling a Covid test at CVS or Walgreens???

1 minute ago, lgdesign said:

Locally by me, not all CVS stores offer antigen tests and the one by me that does start scheduling them 2 weeks out.

My local Walgreens has the PCR, NAAT and antigen tests but they schedule one week out.

6 minutes ago, mlbdude said:

I have noticed for my area, CVS only has the PCR test that takes 1-2 days to get results.  For Walgreens, they seem to have lots of Rapid ID NOW tests (that are accepted).

Does this help?

I just went back and also checked that I had been exposed to someone that had covid and tons of times popped up.  Evidently they are not testing just for travel now?  Can only schedule 2 weeks out but lots that have the antigen test

4 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

Locally by me, not all CVS stores offer antigen tests and the one by me that does start scheduling them 2 weeks out.

My local Walgreens has the PCR, NAAT and antigen tests but they schedule one week out.

Does this help?

Even if only 1 week out I could not schedule either unless stated that I had been exposed.  If clicking doing it for travel, they would not schedule a test.  Maybe because of the holidays and busy.  

• Like 1

Either check that you were exposed or work in healthcare.  None of that is confirmed.  I made our appointments first thing in the morning for the two day window before sailing, talking about Walgreens.  Did swab myself at drive through, the entire process took 5 minutes.  Had the emailed results in 2 hrs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Either check that you were exposed or work in healthcare.  None of that is confirmed.  I made our appointments first thing in the morning for the two day window before sailing, talking about Walgreens.  Did swab myself at drive through, the entire process took 5 minutes.  Had the emailed results in 2 hrs.

Thank you!  Evidently that was what I was missing.  

4 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Did you do the NAAT or the antigen test?  And MSC accepted them no problem?

30 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Even if only 1 week out I could not schedule either unless stated that I had been exposed.  If clicking doing it for travel, they would not schedule a test.  Maybe because of the holidays and busy.  

Interesting... I had no problem getting the appointment with CVS while stating it was for travel.  Good to know what to do.

• Like 1

Just now, lgdesign said:

Interesting... I had no problem getting the appointment with CVS while stating it was for travel.  Good to know what to do.

Yes, I had checked several months ago when trying to figure it out and had to only check for travel.  This time though it will not take appts. for travel only but when I checked that I was exposed there were lots of appts.  Like I said, must be because of the holidays.  Fortunately my cruise is not until the end of Feb. so won't be near the holidays and should be able to just check traveling. At least we now know what to do.

28 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

Did you do the NAAT or the antigen test?  And MSC accepted them no problem?

I believe the Walgreens is the NAAT test.  I did the IDNOW test.  No problem with MSC.  This is what you get:

image.thumb.png.eddcb32311bb030b27b83f762cacf034.png

Edited by KennyFla

Great... am thinking I will go that route.  Thanks so much for getting back to me... don't know why this whole process has me on tenterhooks.  Just nervous about not having the right test or the right documents.  Think things are finally falling into place... but keeping in mind it can all go sideways in a heartbeat... this is MSC after all! 😜

32 minutes ago, sandwish said:

Our Walgreens schedule opens 5 days out. You can truthfully answer the questions and get a time. Schedule the rapid test. Our results were back in 45 minutes. Very very easy!

And MSC accepted your Walgreens rapid test with no problem, right?

Im quite concerned about our next cruise (April 22), we are form the UK and are flying in Monday, staying in Orlando for 3 nights then sailing on the Thursday so will need to get tested somewhere in Orlando.  Will we (as foreigners) be able to book a test at somewhere like Walgreens?

We drove down from NJ to Port Canaveral for Divina, 10/31. 

Well in advance, I went to Google maps for the Fayetteville area and did a search for Covid testing.  A bunch came up.  I was able to call FastMed and get an appointment 3 weeks in advance...could only do this by telephone.    Most sites would not let me make an appointment very far in advance.  Many were only 3 days or less.  This test was Friday evening before out Sunday sailing.  It went fast and we had the antigen results in 10 minutes.  Got paper documentation.  

As a backup, I scheduled another test in Brunswick GA.  Booked it on line in the morning when the 3 day advance schedule appeared.  They offered many time slots.   As it turned out, I did not need this test and cancelled it on line and by calling.

Everything worked out great, but I did need to contact by telephone.  Walgreens and CVS were only doing on line, 3 days out.

One suggestion , for US travelers without kids, sailing this holiday season.

worried about appointment,s

Abbott Binax Now Ag Card Covid 19 test  Antigen test Telehealth version

Order online

we ordered ours from eMed.com  -Box of 6  $150 +

smaller quantities can be ordered from Optum.com  2 for $69.99

Make sure to order telehealth option.

You can do the tests anywhere you have an internet connection.
Video link to app .

This is an antigen test with tele health proctor monitoring  the test.

They email you result page.

we are also taking two with us, in case MSC does not provide test between our B2B.  
We sail Saturday and will do test tomorrow before heading to airport.

Hope this helps.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Have you tried lately?  I was able to months ago but can't now.  Been trying for the last several days. I can't get an appt. if I mark for travel only.

yes, I booked it a couple of days ago for next week at CVS, and I just booked the backup appt for the kiddo today (at a different CVS). I will try to book walgreens appts 4 days out.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

6 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yes, I booked it a couple of days ago for next week at CVS, and I just booked the backup appt for the kiddo today (at a different CVS). I will try to book walgreens appts 4 days out.

I wonder why I can't get them to book when booking only for travel.  I have tried from local all the way to Miami

• Like 1

We luckily bought the at home monitored test and have them with us. 

For the heck of it I wanted to schedule a rapid test too.

So we’re in Siesta Key this week and need to test Friday for our Sunday cruise. 
When I tried on CVS and Walgreen’s sites to book a test “for travel” there wasn’t a rapid test available within 100 miles of me. 
If I put in I have symptoms (even though I don’t) I can get a test but be warned that could be on the printout of your results. 
I don’t want to risk MSC seeing that and not allow us to board. 

So we’ll just go with the at home test. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KennyFla said:

I believe the Walgreens is the NAAT test.  I did the IDNOW test.  No problem with MSC.  This is what you get:

image.thumb.png.eddcb32311bb030b27b83f762cacf034.png

Hi, Kenny Fla... How fast did you get your results back for the NAAT test frm Walgreens?  Thanks in advance...

I have an appointment for an antigen test at a CVS 20 minutes away but can also get the NAAT at a Walgreens that's 5 minutes away and was considering which one would be best.

Edited by lgdesign