Canadians: RCI onboard testing prior to disembarking

Tracy Po

So I just read this on the RCI site:

Prior to Disembarking
For cruises that are 5 nights or longer, kids will take a complimentary antigen test onboard before the cruise ends. Vaccinated guests who require a COVID-19 test for re-entry into their country may receive one onboard as well. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.

My question: Does this include the molecular test required for Canadian re-entry? Can any Canadians who have sailed confirm this?

Go to Guest Services when you board and let them know you'll need testing to fly home.  All testing is done 1st thing in the morning the day before debarkation.  You will get a letter in your stateroom indicating the testing locatiion.  It is a rapid PCR test (molecular), and results are emailed to you within a few hours.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tracy Po said:

So I just read this on the RCI site:

Prior to Disembarking
For cruises that are 5 nights or longer, kids will take a complimentary antigen test onboard before the cruise ends. Vaccinated guests who require a COVID-19 test for re-entry into their country may receive one onboard as well. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.

My question: Does this include the molecular test required for Canadian re-entry? Can any Canadians who have sailed confirm this?

If you are going on the Anthem out of Bayonne on day 3 there will be a QR code in the compass or you can get it at guest services which will allow you to book appointment for a PCR or antigen test. you will require a PCR to enter Canada as of right now. don't forget to complete your arrivecan app 72 hours before cross the border. The same rules are for flying and make sure you keep your PDF results from BIO-Reference.

you get the test done on deck 2 forward near the conference center.

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

According to @Ourusualbeach, they're now doing the tests after debarkation in the terminal in some locations.  Hopefully he'll pop on here and confirm after he gets home.

....or while I'm sitting in Chicago on a 3 hour layover.

Testing for international guests will be changing to departure day outside of thr terminal with results e mailed to you for all US ports.  I had mine in 50 minutes this morning. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, gc said:

If you are going on the Anthem out of Bayonne on day 3 there will be a QR code in the compass or you can get it at guest services which will allow you to book appointment for a PCR or antigen test. you will require a PCR to enter Canada as of right now. don't forget to complete your arrivecan app 72 hours before cross the border. The same rules are for flying and make sure you keep your PDF results from BIO-Reference.

you get the test done on deck 2 forward near the conference center.

Yes, we will indeed be going on the Anthem, in March; still hoping Canada will change the policy and will allow antigen test results for re-entry by then, but it's good to know we won't have to hang out in New York State for two or three days while we await the results.

And thanks for the reminder about ArriveCan. I forgot about that.

37 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Testing for international guests will be changing to departure day outside of thr terminal with results e mailed to you for all US ports.  I had mine in 50 minutes this morning. 

Wow, that's cutting it close! But what a quick turnaround!

What is the fee for the test pp?

5 minutes ago, Tracy Po said:

Yes, we will indeed be going on the Anthem, in March; still hoping Canada will change the policy and will allow antigen test results for re-entry by then, but it's good to know we won't have to hang out in New York State for two or three days while we await the results.

And thanks for the reminder about ArriveCan. I forgot about that.

Wow, that's cutting it close! But what a quick turnaround!

What is the fee for the test pp?

It's free.

Hopefully within the next month all testing requirements for vaccinated Canadians returning home roll be dropped. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Hopefully within the next month all testing requirements for vaccinated Canadians returning home roll be dropped. 

I wanted to like this post twice or three times!!! I want to go home for Christmas but don't want to mess with a PCR test on the 23rd of Dec.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

....or while I'm sitting in Chicago on a 3 hour layover.

Wow...good to know. So need to account for this time when booking flights.  I imagine as well, there can be a backup depending on how many need the test.

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Wow...good to know. So need to account for this time when booking flights.  I imagine as well, there can be a backup depending on how many need the test.

You gont really need to account too much.  You do the test and carry on with your travel.  Shouldn't add too.much time.

28 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You gont really need to account too much.  You do the test and carry on with your travel.  Shouldn't add too.much time.

Good to know.  And it's just great that Royal provides the test so we can return 

I am following this topic closely. If someone could keep monitoring and let us know if this is true. It seems to me a big deal if they are moving this to the terminal. I have a late flight and was not planning on getting off until 9:30/10. This would be a huge inconvenience if I could just get it on board. Maybe it’s just some of the smaller ships are moving to the port. I am on the Symphony which is not small atall.

also, I wonder if this is a bit of a legal thing or whatever to protect Royal from having to formally report cases to the CDC on board. If they’re reported on land, there’s no proof you got it on the ship because your rapid Antigen test boarding could have been inaccurate (they’re not actually recommended for vaccinated people without symptoms in most places) and maybe you were carrying it on board the whole cruise. 

I thought I’d share my recent experience on this topic given @Ourusualbeach’s recent comments.  

We are booked on the December 5 Anthem sailing from Bayonne.  After reviewing the Sailing Protocols email last week (and other info on this issue on CC), I called Royal to confirm that PCR testing would still be provided onboard (and free of charge) prior to disembarkation. 
I was initially told that NO such testing would be provided.  When I advised the CSR that this was included when we booked our cruise, she spoke with a supervisor.  I was then told that, yes, the PCR tests will be provided onboard (and not in the terminal, as I specifically asked that question) as outlined on RCL’s website. I was told that my reservation had been noted that PCRs are required and we should book the tests at Guest Services.  I followed up with an email to RCCL this past Thursday, asking them to confirm this. To date, I’ve received no reply.   

I’m relieved to hear that the PCR tests are still be provided free of charge to those that require it.  If it’s completed in the Terminal, we’ll wait there for our results, as our flight from Newark is late afternoon.  If we test positive, I’d prefer not to have to argue with RCL on whether the Cruise with Confidence policy applies.   But the mixed messages from RCL, albeit not surprising, just add another layer of uncertainty to cruising at this time. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, xcell said:

What happens if you don't have the wifi package?  How do you get the email?

During the testing process you don't need the email confirmation.  

20 minutes ago, zebra36 said:

Not to stir the pot and perhaps unrelated, a utuber has reported that Celebrity will begin charging for these tests on Nov. 15, will Royal be far behind?

This question was asked during a recent executive session between travel agents and Royal.  At this time Royal has no plans to follow Celebrity.  Vicki Freed is Royal's SVP Sales and Richard Fain is the CEO over the entire umbrella of sister cruise brands.  Neither appeared to know that Celebrity had recently made this change.  

Each cruise line formulates policies for these types of things.  For example Royal NextCruise allows you to make reservation for friends and family while on board and they get NextCruise benefits when you do so.  Celebrity does not.  The Healthy Sail Panel is not involved in the policies for departure testing for international travel because it has no bearing on the cruise itself so it's not something the Health Sail Panel will concern itself with.  That leaves each cruise line in the Royal Caribbean Group to make their own policy for departure testing required for international travel.

Make no mistake PCR testing costs money.  Logically at some point Royal may have to implement a charge for departure testing if the numbers grow to the point that it represents a significant cost to the company.  

My personal take is that Royal is not looking at it right now because it's not something that has grown to the point that they have to hire additional resources to provide it.  Once more and more international travelers complete more cruises it will begin to become apparent what the cost of departure testing truly represents and at some point Royal will need to charge for it. 

With so many people asking about it, it's now on their radar screens so they may start looking at the numbers of international travelers that are booked over the next several months and they may or may not choose to implement a policy change.   If they fear it will induce CWC cancellations they may hold off for now.  They'll review it carefully.   

Until we reach the point of changing the policy, enjoy free departure testing for international travel on Royal.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zebra36 said:

Not to stir the pot and perhaps unrelated, a utuber has reported that Celebrity will begin charging for these tests on Nov. 15, will Royal be far behind?

Here is the updated information for Celebrity that came last night - after their first communication which caused a bit of an uproar.

Dear Guest,

We recently reached out to provide an update for our international guests requiring home country re-entry COVID-19 testing as well as testing for guests sailing on back-to-back cruises. At this time, we would like to provide some additional clarification.

Currently all fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the option to receive complimentary testing onboard prior to disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. 

We are pleased to clarify this offering will continue for all existing bookings. As of Tuesday, November 16, 2021, for new bookings, home country re-entry testing will be available onboard for a fee of $55 per person for an Antigen test or $95 per person for a PCR test. 

Guests sailing on back-to-back cruises must show proof of vaccination and are required to take a COVID-19 test producing negative results between each sailing. Guests who are not fully vaccinated or are not eligible to be vaccinated, are not able to sail on back-to back-cruises. 

For guests sailing back-to-back on any Celebrity Cruises ship, complimentary testing will be provided onboard. Effective November 16, 2021, if sailing on another cruise brand, guests will be responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs. 

We apologize for any confusion and look forward to providing you an amazing cruise vacation. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. 

Sincerely,  
Celebrity Cruises 

RCCL latest protocols are already charging passengers on sailings out of Barbados for testing prior to debarkation. They've definitely thought about it.

55 minutes ago, twangster said:

During the testing process you don't need the email confirmation.  

This question was asked during a recent executive session between travel agents and Royal.  At this time Royal has no plans to follow Celebrity.  Vicki Freed is Royal's SVP Sales and Richard Fain is the CEO over the entire umbrella of sister cruise brands.  Neither appeared to know that Celebrity had recently made this change.  

Each cruise line formulates policies for these types of things.  For example Royal NextCruise allows you to make reservation for friends and family while on board and they get NextCruise benefits when you do so.  Celebrity does not.  The Healthy Sail Panel is not involved in the policies for departure testing for international travel because it has no bearing on the cruise itself so it's not something the Health Sail Panel will concern itself with.  That leaves each cruise line in the Royal Caribbean Group to make their own policy for departure testing required for international travel.

Make no mistake PCR testing costs money.  Logically at some point Royal may have to implement a charge for departure testing if the numbers grow to the point that it represents a significant cost to the company.  

My personal take is that Royal is not looking at it right now because it's not something that has grown to the point that they have to hire additional resources to provide it.  Once more and more international travelers complete more cruises it will begin to become apparent what the cost of departure testing truly represents and at some point Royal will need to charge for it. 

With so many people asking about it, it's now on their radar screens so they may start looking at the numbers of international travelers that are booked over the next several months and they may or may not choose to implement a policy change.   If they fear it will induce CWC cancellations they may hold off for now.  They'll review it carefully.   

Until we reach the point of changing the policy, enjoy free departure testing for international travel on Royal.

Just now, cruiseamm said:

RCCL latest protocols are already charging passengers on sailings out of Barbados for testing prior to debarkation. They've definitely thought about it.

Yes, because in recent times 100% would require it.  They can't test everyone on the ship for free.  So yeah, they thought about that.  

100% of cruisers from everywhere require a test to board a ship.  Any cost associated with that is on the guest.

Different countries have varying requirements for international travel.  If you fly to France for a week do you expect your hotel in France to pay for the test required to fly home?

I always struggle when people expect cruise lines to provide for free the same things that no one expects when they vacation or travel without a cruise ship.

On Royal departure testing is complimentary right now.  It's a great time to cruise.  Enjoy it while you can because it may or may not change in the future.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, nlcruiser01 said:

I thought I’d share my recent experience on this topic given @Ourusualbeach’s recent comments.  

We are booked on the December 5 Anthem sailing from Bayonne.  After reviewing the Sailing Protocols email last week (and other info on this issue on CC), I called Royal to confirm that PCR testing would still be provided onboard (and free of charge) prior to disembarkation. 
I was initially told that NO such testing would be provided.  When I advised the CSR that this was included when we booked our cruise, she spoke with a supervisor.  I was then told that, yes, the PCR tests will be provided onboard (and not in the terminal, as I specifically asked that question) as outlined on RCL’s website. I was told that my reservation had been noted that PCRs are required and we should book the tests at Guest Services.  I followed up with an email to RCCL this past Thursday, asking them to confirm this. To date, I’ve received no reply.   

I’m relieved to hear that the PCR tests are still be provided free of charge to those that require it.  If it’s completed in the Terminal, we’ll wait there for our results, as our flight from Newark is late afternoon.  If we test positive, I’d prefer not to have to argue with RCL on whether the Cruise with Confidence policy applies.   But the mixed messages from RCL, albeit not surprising, just add another layer of uncertainty to cruising at this time. 

These changes literally just happened with yesterdays debarkation being the first one.  Vicki Freed (SVP Sales) announced it on board.  When you called last week you were given the correct information at the time but that has changed

• Like 1