Paying onboard for upgrade

jenndisney

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Every time you fly, stay in a hotel, or rent a car,  there will be folks who have paid more than you, and folks who paid less than you for the exact same accommodations. Neither one will give you a refund.

As for Princess having a system regarding upgrades, maybe they do, and we're not privy to the details.

You must not travel very much at the highest status levels that airlines, hotels and rental cars offer…… they treat their most loyal and high spending clients very well and are generous in certain ways……what Princess is SUPPOSEDLY doing is cheapening their brand and will eventually alienate a certain group of customers…..I

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

You must not travel very much at the highest status levels that airlines, hotels and rental cars offer…… they treat their most loyal and high spending clients very well and are generous in certain ways……what Princess is SUPPOSEDLY doing is cheapening their brand and will eventually alienate a certain group of customers…..I

Princess is already marketing to younger cruisers, and trying to find ways to engage them.  They know that their long time, loyal cruisers can't sustain their brand.  Why NOT give newer cruisers an opportunity to experience a nicer cabin while cruising is trying to recover?  The ship is well below occupancy, the cabins are empty anyway, and it may encourage bookings in higher categories in the future.  
You can feel alienated all you want.  Princess knows you aren't going to live forever.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

Agreed and that's why airlines for example don't rush to upgrade economy passengers even when there are many seats flying empty in premium cabins

But FF members with certain status can get free upgrades to premium cabin seats.

No reason CC members with certain status could not also be offered the equivalent on a ship.

Remember, historically Princess doled out free upgrades when they wanted to resell you original cabin. (Your CC status did not matter.) But then Princess discovered many people would happily pay for an upgrade and since then free upgrades in mornal times have become very rare.

13 hours ago, wesport said:

Why doesn’t Princess just sell upsells at embarkation for a nominal amount rather than giving them away for free. I will shy away from the feeding frenzy to get something for free. 

I assume you mean once on the ship since terminal staff have no ability to do anything like this.

In normal times there will be a sign at the service desk saying the ship is sold out and no upgrades are available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caribill said:

But FF members with certain status can get free upgrades to premium cabin seats.

No reason CC members with certain status could not also be offered the equivalent on a ship.

Remember, historically Princess doled out free upgrades when they wanted to resell you original cabin. (Your CC status did not matter.) But then Princess discovered many people would happily pay for an upgrade and since then free upgrades in mornal times have become very rare.

As others have commented already, upgrading people with certain status is a different thing. That gives a clear set of 'rules'.

9 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Princess is already marketing to younger cruisers, and trying to find ways to engage them.  They know that their long time, loyal cruisers can't sustain their brand.  Why NOT give newer cruisers an opportunity to experience a nicer cabin while cruising is trying to recover?  The ship is well below occupancy, the cabins are empty anyway, and it may encourage bookings in higher categories in the future.  
You can feel alienated all you want.  Princess knows you aren't going to live forever.

You make it sounds like Princess has a well thought out upgrade plan......lol.....what people are saying is there is a scrum at the passenger service desk when people first board begging for a free upgrade or better cabin....I do not consider getting a balcony cabin an upgrade of any kind....it's a Princess balcony....you definitely get what you pay for and in all the years we have cruised Princess they are just not worth the money anymore to us for the experience we want.....we are starting to move on to Viking and Oceania....much more refined......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Currently ships are sailing at below passenger capacity and cabins are available.  If you can ask for a better cabin, why not.  Once things return to full capacity, there won't be upgrades.

It is not beneath me to ask for an upgrade.  I use coupons to shop all the time.  I would love to get an upgrade.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

As others have commented already, upgrading people with certain status is a different thing. That gives a clear set of 'rules'.

Free upgrades when Princess wanted to resell your cabin or to fill GTY bookings did not involve your status at all.

7 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

You make it sounds like Princess has a well thought out upgrade plan......lol.....what people are saying is there is a scrum at the passenger service desk when people first board begging for a free upgrade or better cabin....I do not consider getting a balcony cabin an upgrade of any kind....it's a Princess balcony....you definitely get what you pay for and in all the years we have cruised Princess they are just not worth the money anymore to us for the experience we want.....we are starting to move on to Viking and Oceania....much more refined......

And about twice the price!

• Like 2

Wow, sounds like someone should cruise with Viking, if that is the experience they want.  Begrudging someone else their cabin cheapens your experience, new one for me. 

I sail single, pay double for my cruises, if I get an upgrade fine, if not, that's o.k., too.  Being overly concerned about this issue, some of these "cheapen" remarks amaze me.  In the grand scheme of things, it does not matter.   A higher than thou attitude is never flattering.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TracieABD said:

I am always really happy when someone gets an upgrade. I don't see it as cheapening the brand. I see it as good fortune. But that is just me. 

I’ve never had an upgrade but I’ve paid for several upsell’s.  I get really excited when people do receive an upgrade. I’m so happy for them!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’ve never had an upgrade but I’ve paid for several upsell’s.  I get really excited when people do receive an upgrade. I’m so happy for them!

I've never had a real upgrade or an upsell.  Maybe someday!

• Like 2