Deluxe Drinks package - party of 8

Kilash

Hi, 

we’re traveling as a group of 4 couples. 

mariner of seas 28th Dec 4 night Bahamas and cococay cruise

it is quoting the unlimited alcohol package at £250 gbp per person for the full cruise so £500 per couple. 

is it a good deal and were you glad you bought it vs buying drinks “pay as you go” style?

TIA 

Edited by Kilash
Nasty Vultures circling

8 minutes ago, Kilash said:

Hi, 

it is quoting the unlimited alcohol package at £250 gbp per person for the full cruise so £500 per couple. 

in your experience is this good value and advisable? 

How strict are they if you have the wristband? We were thinking of just 2x couples purchasing the package, then maybe it could be shared among all 8. I.e going up and down to the bar and ordering 2 drinks. 

Reason I’m asking is my mother and father can afford it, as can I and my partner, but my younger brother and sister are just out of college and their partners - they can’t really afford to cough up that much in advance .

tbanks for all help 

Can you all pony up and buy them the wristbands as their Christmas or Hanukkah gifts?

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Kilash said:

is it a good deal and were you glad you bought it vs buying drinks “pay as you go” style?

TIA 

Personally with the non-alcoholic drinks (coffee, water, etc) included as well I don't have issues making it work without trying that hard.  Ultimately, it really depends on your personal habits/consumption. 

Even on days where I don't have a whole lot to drink I like the idea of seeing a $0 balance everytime and not having to think about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

The package is added to your card. They will know its not you. Not to mention that the terms and conditions of the package explicitly state you cannot share.

As far as I know, your picture shows up when they scan it. It does when you get on and off the ship.

1 hour ago, Kilash said:

Hi, 

TIA 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!  As Biker19 posted, it depends on your drinking pattern.  The break-even point is around 5 drinks.  You may want a drink or two around the pool, before dinner drinks, after dinner drinks, etc.  You're on vacation, and you're on a cruise;  enjoy yourselves!  Happy cruising!

Including non-alcoholic drinks and spacing booze out over the day, one can get a good deal and not be flat out drunk. 

on the other hand, with the free non-alcoholic beverages available and buying 4-5 drinks per day on average will likely save money. 

I would not suggest sharing it. Maybe chip in for the poor folks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

If I can catch it at $53, break even for me is 4 glasses of wine and a water. 

Bear in mind the OP is quoting UK pounds. £250 is approximately $335, so $84 per person or 7 cocktails a day to break even. Not good value IMHO - but cruise planner prices always seem to be higher on the UK site.

33 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Bear in mind the OP is quoting UK pounds. £250 is approximately $335, so $84 per person or 7 cocktails a day to break even. Not good value IMHO - but cruise planner prices always seem to be higher on the UK site.

I tend to agree on the value. What do drinks cost there, including the gratuity?

35 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

That's the total price. So $71 before the gratuity. Not the best price, but the normal not a sale price for shorter cruises. Makes it 6 drinks to save money, assuming you don't drink beer. Less if you use bottled water or other non alcoholic drinks. 

Thanks PJ and everyone. 

might just wait to Black Friday next week and see if it comes down at all? 

no point in ringing up an agent trying to haggle, I’d imagine there’s very little movement from them. 

• Like 1

It's only worth it if it's less than you would "normally" spend.  Most people try to spend more to justify it when they do buy it lol.  We have never come close to spending as much as a package would cost us and I like my wine lol.

Obviously OP edited out the part where they probably talked about sharing 🙂

Edited by BND