ST KITTS APPROVED TOURS IN PORT

Want2Cruise 701

Anyone know what they are?  Hoping someone that has been lately can comment.  I know St Kitts is now offering tours for purchase in port for vaccinated guests, but there seems to be a lack of information on what is being offered. I've reached out to several operators and a few are just doing island tours or no tours at all.  This will be our 5th time to St. Kitts so we really don't want an island tour. 

Private Journeys is very expensive.  I expected them to be more but the pricing is outrageous.  $1300+ for a catamaran and $670 for Carambola with 90 mins of boat snorkeling and you have to pay additional for beach chairs/umbrella/food/drink.

We had 2 excursions through Celebrity booked which were cancelled.  There really isn't anything else offered that is appealing.  With increased cases, we are now worried about being on a X excursion with someone who tests positive and being quarantined in our cabin for a period of time.  I know the chances are slim but still within possibility.

Since you mention Carambola, I wonder if you saw the Celebrity excursion that will get you there.  We have been there twice and love it.  The pricing thru Celebrity is comparable to what we paid when we did it on our own (shuttle to & from, chair, umbrella, etc).  In the past, we have eaten at the restaurant in the resort and also walked down to the beach shack...previously closed due to one of the huge hotels planning to put a resort on the beach.  I understand that deal fell through so the beach shack is open again.  The food was yummy!

Good luck!

39 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Since you mention Carambola, I wonder if you saw the Celebrity excursion that will get you there.  We have been there twice and love it.  The pricing thru Celebrity is comparable to what we paid when we did it on our own (shuttle to & from, chair, umbrella, etc).  In the past, we have eaten at the restaurant in the resort and also walked down to the beach shack...previously closed due to one of the huge hotels planning to put a resort on the beach.  I understand that deal fell through so the beach shack is open again.  The food was yummy!

Good luck!

We did.  The only thing is the ships excursion is only 3.5 hours including travel time from 9:30-1.  We'd prefer to be there much longer.  We are docked from 7-6.

11 minutes ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

We did.  The only thing is the ships excursion is only 3.5 hours including travel time from 9:30-1.  We'd prefer to be there much longer.  We are docked from 7-6.

True...that is the downside, but we are very anxious to return if only for a short time.  

Hope you find something that works for you.

We have the same concerns and I posted about it. I'm doing 3 plans - ship tours, cancellable local tour if applicable, and "on own" plan. I agree many of the ship tours are either too short or too long - in our case, we have 5 ports in a row and I don't want to be out for 7 hours 5 days in a row.

To quote someone else, such are the times we're living in and I'm hoping for the best. Would love to know how you resolve (you didn't indicate your time frame).

The  Celebrity website keeps the updated Info.  On the main page at the top is a blue. “ View  Health and Travel requirements…. Select that under Overview there is a drop down menu and go to Travel requirements for sailing from the US.  The list of ports for DYI and ship only excursions are listed.  It. has changed frequently so check it periodically 

Unlike some of the other Islands where one can find lists of government approved excursions the St Kitts tourism site says

Are land-based and water-based excursions open?
Not at this time.

So probably not much chance at this time.

1 hour ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Where can I find a list of islands that require ship tours? I had no idea there were still ports with restrictions like this. We stop at St Kitts in January so I guess I’ll need to plan something with the ship it sounds like?

This was updated on 11/19

All vaccinated guests may go ashore on their own in ports where it's permitted.

Please be aware that as destination conditions change, you may be required to go ashore on a shore excursion provided by Celebrity Cruises. This will help to keep you safe and healthy for the rest of your vacation.

Unvaccinated guests and families with unvaccinated children may only go ashore on a shore excursion provided by Celebrity Cruises.

Shore excursion guidance is listed below. We will continue to monitor and update as any changes to local requirements occur.

Excursions provided by Celebrity Cruises are required in: 

• Bridgetown, Barbados**
  • Colon, Panama
  • Roseau, Dominica**
  • St. George's, Grenada**
  • Falmouth, Jamaica**
  • Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis**
  • Castries, St. Lucia**

Guests can explore the destination on their own in the ports below. However, we highly recommend you choose shore excursions with Celebrity Cruises that follow the same health protocols we have on board:

• St. John’s, Antigua
  • Oranjestad, Aruba
  • Belize City, Belize
  • Bimini, Bahamas
  • Kralendijk, Bonaire
  • Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
  • Cartagena, Colombia
  • Catalina Island, California
  • Costa Maya, Mexico
  • Cozumel, Mexico
  • Willemstad, Curacao
  • Ensenada, México
  • Nassau, Bahamas
  • Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala
  • Puerto Vallarta, México
  • Punta Arenas, Costa Rica
  • Roatan, Honduras
  • St. Croix, USVI
  • Philipsburg, St. Maarten*
  • Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico
  • Tortola, BVI

While in Aruba, the use of masks is required while indoors, except for while eating and drinking.

*The St. Maarten government requires all unvaccinated guests age 10 and older, be tested 2 days prior to disembarking and visiting St. Maarten. Test will be provided onboard.

**Vaccinated guests only are approved to debark and tour the restricted port shopping area, as well as take a local government approved tour of the island.

The local health authorities in St. Thomas and St. Croix have recommended that all guests, including fully vaccinated persons, wear a face mask while ashore and particularly while indoors.

I emailed with St. Kitts Tourism today and they said that Celebrity has a list that they have provided them of the approved vendors who can offer excursions to cruise guests.  They so far have declined to provide the list directly and directed me to Celebrity.  I posted in this week's roll call to see if anyone could get a copy.  They said that you could also get these tours at the port upon arrival.  I would reach out to Celebrity to ask but they are running a 3-4 week turn around on emails.

2 hours ago, EffortlessVoyages said:

I emailed with St. Kitts Tourism today and they said that Celebrity has a list that they have provided them of the approved vendors who can offer excursions to cruise guests.  They so far have declined to provide the list directly and directed me to Celebrity.  I posted in this week's roll call to see if anyone could get a copy.  They said that you could also get these tours at the port upon arrival.  I would reach out to Celebrity to ask but they are running a 3-4 week turn around on emails.

The requirements could change at any point but as of today regardless of the Tourism Department Celebrity is requiring a ships tour to get off the ship.   Since for cruises through April, Celebrity is covering the costs of expenses (quarantine, treatment & transportation) if  one tests  positive while on the cruise  it makes sense that they will be cautious vs a tourism board that’s interest is generating revenue with little risk. 

• Like 1

If you Google the individual islands covid requirements you will find that those that currently require ship excursions are because their government requires a negative PCR  test within a certain amount of time which isn't possible for most of current sailings

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sakigemcam said:

We have the same concerns and I posted about it. I'm doing 3 plans - ship tours, cancellable local tour if applicable, and "on own" plan. I agree many of the ship tours are either too short or too long - in our case, we have 5 ports in a row and I don't want to be out for 7 hours 5 days in a row.

To quote someone else, such are the times we're living in and I'm hoping for the best. Would love to know how you resolve (you didn't indicate your time frame).

Do you mind if I ask what "cancellable local tour" you booked?  Did you reserve an island tour?  I haven't been able to find any except for those being offered.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

Do you mind if I ask what "cancellable local tour" you booked?  Did you reserve an island tour?  I haven't been able to find any except for those being offered.  Thanks.

I'm only at the beginning of researching these - government approved and cancellable, sigh....

Here is the deal best I can tell in St. Kitts. You can get off the ship at explore in the port area if vaxed. If you want to move beyond the port you have to take a tour. You can book a ship tour in advance or purchase a tour in the port from an approved vendor. Someone on the ship said when they got off today there were plenty of tours being offered and getting one wasn’t an issue. 

I emailed with St. Kitts tourism directly and they said they have given Celebrity the list of approved tours and vendors but they cannot send out the list directly as it contains private information. 

I have emailed celebrity concierge to ask but doubt I’ll get a response. 

My suggestion is to ask at shore excursions when you get on or just be ok with booking something when you get into port. 

My guess is the vendors listed on the St. kitts website are likely some of the ones selling at the port 

• Like 2