RCL keeps changing our handicap stateroom!!!!!!!!!

mcqueenbee

We booked a handicap balcony with Oasis of the Sea on Deck 12. We booked it to be close to some friends on the same deck. However, I checked yesterday and noticed they changed our stateroom to Deck 7. WHAT?!?!  This is the second time they have done this.

We just returned from an Odyssey cruise today. We had upgraded to a handicap balcony on Deck 10 from a virtual interior handicap also on Deck 10. The very next day, our room was DOWNGRADED back to a virtual balcony handicap but on Deck 8. I called, waited two hours, and was told my room was no longer available due to Covid restrictions even though I was on the RCL website and my balcony room was available. I called later and the agent quickly resolved this issue. Still no clue what happened but we sailed in the proper room 😁

Now, our next cruise is booked for Spring Break! As I mentioned, I booked a handicap balcony and they changed it again! On my drive back home, I was on the phone with customer service for 1 1/2 hrs speaking with a supervisor to only be told that it was due to COVID restrictions, which is bull. Like I said, I just returned from an 8 day cruise and our rooms were not spaced out🙄. I went round and round explaining that I searched and chose that deck. I did not choose the option for RCL to pick my room. I asked him to credit me the difference between the guarantee room rate, upgrade us, or simply put us back in the stateroom I picked. I was repeatedly told, "I am sorry but due to Covid..." and this is being done throughout the whole ship. I am waiting for his supervisor to call. BUT WAIT it gets better...

When I arrived home, I went to the RCL website to see where the room was. Maybe, it was a handicap jr suite? NOPE, IT IS NOT EVEN A HANDICAP ROOM!!! When I look on the website there are only 2 handicap oceanview balconies available. One on deck 14 and of course, the other is my original room! Why is this happening?

I am so mad and upset. What happens if they sell those rooms?

• Like 1

I don't see if you need a handicap room, because you mention always getting one but then saying you booked to be closer to your friends.

If you need one (remember there are a lot of people who need one), you'll have to escalate with RCL as much as possible. Could the friends move to your deck? Have all possibilities available because there are so few handicap rooms.

Yes, I need a handicap accessible room. When I booked the cruise, I booked a handicap balcony room on Deck 12 and was moved to a regular non-handicap accessible balcony room on the Deck 7 literally one of the furthest rooms on the Deck.
I should not have to ask my friends to move. 

1 hour ago, celoplyr said:

Have all possibilities available because there are so few handicap rooms.

We are aware there are not many but I booked one. Why are they changing it?

I argued the analogy…when I buy seats for a sports game or show, I pick certain seats and pay for them. How is it ok to just change me to lesser seats? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mcqueenbee said:

Yes, I need a handicap accessible room. When I booked the cruise, I booked a handicap balcony room on Deck 12 and was moved to a regular non-handicap accessible balcony room on the Deck 7 literally one of the furthest rooms on the Deck.
I should not have to ask my friends to move. 

I asked, just because you said that you were moved to a non handicap room.  I could see them doing that in case they thought you were requesting those rooms because they were bigger or something.

I guess my question is: what's more important?  I would imagine that you'd rather be on the cruise with your friends close by more than being on the cruise far from your friends, and both those options would be more preferable to not being on the cruise because there aren't rooms.  I don't know why they changed around your rooms, but I imagine they had a reason.  I find I get a lot further with options in my head than "I want that room and only that room".  I have had multiple times where I buy seats, and something happens, and I can't get those seats anymore (like your sports game analogy), so I've learned to focus on what is really most important for me.  

You're going to have to spend a lot of hours on the phone for this, so good luck.  

Wow. Just WOW!!!  This is a big deal for a person with a physical disability. 
You can’t just make do with a regular cabin. And most definitely should not have to spend time on hold to correct this move.  To have it happen twice is inexcusable. Thanks for the heads up as I will be watching my bookings closely for a similar change.

• Like 2

My mother and sister booked a handicapped accessible ocean view on Adventure and when they got to the ship they were told they were moved to a regular ocean view room. They were told the reason was that they needed to create a quarantine area on deck 2, where their original room was. They had done this the week before apparently as well. No one called my sister or the travel agency to let them know beforehand, and there were no handicapped accessible rooms available on the ship at all. so they "upgraded" them to a Junior Suite. This, however, was not an upgrade as it was a standard JS, which has a tub in the bathroom which my mother could not get into. So, they gave her the keys to an empty inside cabin across the hall, which meant that my 85 year old mother had to carry her things across the hall and get into a regular cabin bathroom, which was also difficult. They had a tremendous fear that she would fall. And, they didn't find this out until the ship had sailed! Needless to say, the cruise was not a happy one for them.

Eventually, after speaking to anyone who would listen, they were given a FCC for their original cruise fare (it started out as 15%!!) Again, this was done without letting them know that they would not have an accessible cabin even though it was done before the cruise even boarded. 

• Like 2

Oh my.  I am sorry to hear this is happening.  To have one’s chosen cabin show up in available inventory is crazy,  The people who need accessible cabins really need them and should not be moved to regular cabins (especially without notice). I realize some people book accessible cabins who do not really need them.  So, should an accessible cabin be forced out of inventory, a phone call to the client is in order.  If there are mo other accessible cabins available to a customer who requires one, the option of a refund or reschedule at least should be offered.  

So update...almost 4 1/2 hours on the phone with RCL. 

Told they have to wait for finance to give the go ahead to place me back in my original stateroom (or the one next to it) because it cost more than the one they moved me to and more than when I booked.🙄

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mcqueenbee said:

Told they have to wait for finance to give the go ahead to place me back in my original stateroom (or the one next to it) because it cost more than the one they moved me to and more than when I booked.🙄

this is unbelievable.   So sorry you have to go through all this.  Do not let them charge you more for your original category,   Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcqueenbee said:

How frustrating!!! Did you speak with Resolutions? If not, perham s call them if your original cabin is not restored at the original price. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, celoplyr said:

I asked, just because you said that you were moved to a non handicap room.  I could see them doing that in case they thought you were requesting those rooms because they were bigger or something.

I guess my question is: what's more important?  I would imagine that you'd rather be on the cruise with your friends close by more than being on the cruise far from your friends, and both those options would be more preferable to not being on the cruise because there aren't rooms.  I don't know why they changed around your rooms, but I imagine they had a reason.  I find I get a lot further with options in my head than "I want that room and only that room".  I have had multiple times where I buy seats, and something happens, and I can't get those seats anymore (like your sports game analogy), so I've learned to focus on what is really most important for me.  

You're going to have to spend a lot of hours on the phone for this, so good luck.  

REALLY?  😵 This is one of the more ignorant response I've seen

• Thanks 1