MDR Dinners VS the Speical Resrtaurants Dinners

mcrcruiser

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We don't see  the chocolate fountains any longer in a once wonderful  buffet held in the main dining room .another cut in the food budget 

Maybe not a budget cut, but an "edict" from USPH to try to "protect us from all of those nasty germs pre-Covid". 

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

My goodness!  So perhaps the OP could go have dinner about 5 in the MDR and then have a 2nd dinner in the Pinnacle around 8 🙂

If so, I am envious of the OP's gastric capacity.  

5 hours ago, albingirl said:

When I am aboard, the last thing I think about is how much is the dinner I am missing while in the Pinnacle Grill or otherwise.  I'm done thinking about money and it's all in the rear view mirror. Time to enjoy!

Agree.  

Bottom line....there will be cuts or there will be fare increases.  Most likely a combination of both.

We could care less about things like  chocolate fountain, a midnight buffet, or a wonderful banquet in the MDR.  It is not because we do not like it, it have never been the highlight of any cruise that we have enjoyed.

I believe that there will be more competition and far less cruise line loyalty going forward over the next ten years.  Price will become as or more important.

I think that if someone is fussing over a $35 charge they should relax, eat in the MDR or in the Lido. 

Or not even bother with the cruise if this becomes overly worrisome for them.

Edited by iancal

On 12/1/2021 at 7:34 PM, kazu said:

I have never worried about what the MDR dinner meal is worth.

What matters to me is how good the specialty dining is and if the food is enjoyable.  The only time I worried was the time we were in the PG and escargot was on the menu in the MDR.  

The PG staff happily brought it to me 😉 

As long as the food and service is worth it, I do specialty and don’t worry about what would be a few pennies in the MDR.

That was nice of them.  I always try to pick a night other than gala night to go to Pinnacle/Tamarind, simply because the menu at the MDR is better on gala nights.  On a longer cruise, I do appreciate the option of going to the premium restaurant.  I think you could make the same case for dining ashore as opposed to returning to the ship for every meal.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, iancal said:

I think that if someone is fussing over a $35 charge they should relax, eat in the MDR or in the Lido. 

Disagree.  These people need not to consider a cruise.  If they can't afford such a minor charge in comparison to the cost of their cruise, why are they spending money on such an "expensive vacation"?  

On 12/2/2021 at 11:10 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

I think you could make the same case for dining ashore as opposed to returning to the ship for every meal.

Absolutely agree with this. What you are actually paying in your fare for meals aboard is pennies on the dollar for what you'd pay to purchase each meal a la carte on land due to their purchasing power for supplies, cost of labor for prepping and serving, etc. 

On the other hand, I find myself somewhat surprised by some of the unthinking (at best) to snobbish (at worst) responses given to those who may be "considering costs" when planning cruises. What possible reason could you have for saying such people should not consider a cruise?  

My own parents were not wealthy by any means, but always loved to travel. They wanted to inculcate that same joy in their children, and we would -- as a family -- live very frugally in order to plan overseas trips to Europe, land trips in the US and cruises.  My first cruise was at the age of 7, when cruising was more expensive, relatively speaking, than now. We still managed to cruise about once a year. We were almost always in a cabin on the lowest or next-to-lowest floor, and we booked cabins for 4 (two lower berths, two bunks).  And guess what -- we loved it. 

We did things on our own -- partly to save money and partly to strike out on our own. I remember in Europe we often bought food in markets for lunch and avoided expensive restaurants. We still had the same wonderful cultural experiences, but on a budget. There is nothing wrong with that, IMO. It certainly did work to instill a love of travel in both my sister and I.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Absolutely agree with this. What you are actually paying in your fare for meals aboard is pennies on the dollar for what you'd pay to purchase each meal a la carte on land due to their purchasing power for supplies, cost of labor for prepping and serving, etc. 

On the other hand, I find myself somewhat surprised by some of the unthinking (at best) to snobbish (at worst) responses given to those who may be "considering costs" when planning cruises. What possible reason could you have for saying such people should not consider a cruise?  

My own parents were not wealthy by any means, but always loved to travel. They wanted to inculcate that same joy in their children, and we would -- as a family -- live very frugally in order to plan overseas trips to Europe, land trips in the US and cruises.  My first cruise was at the age of 7, when cruising was more expensive, relatively speaking, than now. We still managed to cruise about once a year. We were almost always in a cabin on the lowest or next-to-lowest floor, and we booked cabins for 4 (two lower berths, two bunks).  And guess what -- we loved it. 

We did things on our own -- partly to save money and partly to strike out on our own. I remember in Europe we often bought food in markets for lunch and avoided expensive restaurants. We still had the same wonderful cultural experiences, but on a budget. There is nothing wrong with that, IMO. It certainly did work to instill a love of travel in both my sister and I.

That sounds like pretty great holidays.  I knew of no one that took cruises when I was young.  Most people took camping trips and I’m not super old.  

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 7:21 PM, rkacruiser said:

I have never given any thought as to the cost difference between dining in the MDR, the Lido Restaurant, or a specialty restaurant.  I am going to dine where I want to dine when I want to do so.

This.  For me, the time to budget is not while on the ship.  I'm going to add the drink package, the dining package, etc. up front so I won't need to keep a running tally of my expenditures while on the ship.  Overall, I suspect I get my money's worth out of it but I'm not going to keep score; I'm on vacation and am trying not to stress out over things.  Doing otherwise reminds me of those Progressive "Dr. Rick" commercials 🙂

I have never given any thought as to the cost difference between dining in the MDR, the Lido Restaurant, or a specialty restaurant.  I am going to dine where I want to dine when I want to do so.

This.  For me, the time to budget is not while on the ship.  I'm going to add the drink package, the dining package, etc. up front.  If it becomes too costly at that point I'll look at something else.  The last thing I want to do is keep a running tally of my expenditures while on the ship. 

Yes, overall, I suspect I get my money's worth out of it but I'm not going to keep score; I'm on vacation and am trying not to stress out over things.  Doing otherwise reminds me of those Progressive "Dr. Rick" commercials 🙂

This.  For me, the time to budget is not while on the ship.  I'm going to add the drink package, the dining package, etc. up front.  If it becomes too costly at that point I'll look at something else.  The last thing I want to do is keep a running tally of my expenditures while on the ship. 

Yes, overall, I suspect I get my money's worth out of it but I'm not going to keep score; I'm on vacation and am trying not to stress out over things.  Doing otherwise reminds me of those Progressive "Dr. Rick" commercials 🙂

we LOVE the Pinnacle and we are on vacation so we don't think about the cost - we treat ourselves to the P once or twice in a weekly cruise and do not spend time calculating other costs -  enjoy what ever you decide on

On 12/2/2021 at 7:23 PM, Josie201 said:

For info, celebrity does the chocolate fountain at the lunch gala buffet.  All served to you no self serve.  

That is correct & we enjoyed that immensely ;as there were   special food items served as well ,that were not on the general menus

Although I want to know a cruise line cost for  each meal ,like dinner in the MDR  ,we do use the special restaurants  for  more variety & the different ambiance 

As in all walks of life having knowledge  makes for better decisions  . Over many years of travel ,I have gained   substantial knowledge  . As example ,we use a certain credit card now to not pay for Trip cancellation ,interruption & baggage . We have a medical plan that covers us for medical emergencies world wide including medical evacuation  .just these items along saves us thousands of dollars a year in travel expenses . Then there are things like  why  take 2 ATM  cards . We experienced why in the Dublin Ireland Airport  .Here is a better one ,having enough line of credit on your credit cards if you need admittance in a foreign private hospital that does not take your travel or personal medical insurance  .That happened to us in Rome in 2008 .Had to come up with a $15000  deposit for entrance into the hospital 

So not to be labor  ,all knowledge  could be helpful at some point in time 

On board Eurodam now, disembarking tomorrow.  Didn’t read all the posts here, but my two cents worth is the speciality restaurants are as good as ever, thought Tamarind even better, but the MDR food is definitely lacking compared to that past.  Mediocre at best.  Simply FYI and my opinion.

• Like 1

In the past, we have paid to visit every specialty restaurant w/the exception of Rudi's......

Our conclusion is that it is not worth the $$$.  We are happy, content, well served and well fed in the MDR. We do not want to pay for dinner and then pay for dinner again.  To each his own choice!

We were on the Rotterdam TA for 14 days in October and ate in the MDR every night.....Excellent service and food.....well satisfied.

We are glad others enjoy the up-charge restaurants and Club Orange and the up-charge speciality coffee etc but we are fine enjoying our cruise without all that $$$$.

Not judging, just expressing what we do and what we enjoy....And glad there are choices.....For those that pay for dinner (w/cruise fare) and then pay for dinner again (with surcharge) enjoy and keep it up...it keeps my cruise fare where it is!

IMO, As PT Barnum said........

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

That sure wasn't necessary! Just because you don't see the value of the specialty restaurants doesn't mean that value doesn't exist for other people. There's no reason to be rude.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Not judging, …For those that pay for dinner (w/cruise fare) and then pay for dinner again (with surcharge) enjoy and keep it up...it keeps my cruise fare where it is!

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

My opinion and others are free to disagree with me.  One needs to live (and that includes vacationing) within one's means.  That has been what I have done for many decades.  The only debt (other than monthly credit card debt that is paid in full before the bill is due) that I have incurred was a loan for my college education and my mortgage.  The student loan was paid within a 5 year time period after my employment.  The mortgage was paid before I retired.  

To book a cruise, knowing that I was on the installment plan to pay for it--as some do--is fiscal irresponsibility in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

My opinion and others are free to disagree with me.  One needs to live (and that includes vacationing) within one's means.  That has been what I have done for many decades.  The only debt (other than monthly credit card debt that is paid in full before the bill is due) that I have incurred was a loan for my college education and my mortgage.  The student loan was paid within a 5 year time period after my employment.  The mortgage was paid before I retired.  

To book a cruise, knowing that I was on the installment plan to pay for it--as some do--is fiscal irresponsibility in my opinion.  

No one's talking about installment plans. Bit of a stretch.

It's about understanding what one can afford and sticking to a budget. Not letting the excitement of the moment carry one away if one cannot really afford it. 

I feel like there are two different premises being discussed in this thread. While I don't really agree with the OP's need to figure out how much a missed meal might cost, I also don't agree that cruising is only for those who can spend freely onboard without a thought to their ultimate bottom line. That is how one remains fiscally responsible -- which is what you describe above. My parents certainly never carried a balance on their credit cards that I know of, retired early, and continued to travel (modestly) throughout almost 30 years of retirement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's about understanding what one can afford and sticking to a budget. Not letting the excitement of the moment carry one away if one cannot really afford it. 

Agree.  There must be too many in our society today that have not learned that lesson, however.  At least in my State.  Our General Assembly, this year, has passed a Bill that requires a one-half credit course to be passed for high school graduation dealing with financial literacy.  

Maybe wherever you live your citizens are more financially literate and don't need the financial education that I received when I was being raised?