Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

My husband is getting nervous about our Jan.19th sail...his fear is an outbreak on the ship and being trapped at sea.  I think that happened in 2020 because it was new and no one knew how to handle it.  Now 2 years later I assume the ports all have a plan if a ship arrives with an outbreak - there must be a protocol of what to do with everyone?  From what I read about the recent NCL in New Orleans they had people in hotel rooms etc.  

Does anyone know the actual steps if a ship had a major outbreak - can you "worst case scenario" it for me?  Worst case not being either of us seriously ill of course.  😉  I really don't want to cancel and I think we can take extra steps to feel safe and as protected as we do here at home.  For example I see pictures of crowded dance floors and no masks - I don't think we are there yet in our comfort zone.  Those are choices we can make.  I also respect he is nervous so I am hoping some intell may help ease his mind.  We'll both have 3 shots by sail date so we aren't really worried about getting sick - more about getting trapped in Florida.  

23 minutes ago, melbrook said:

My husband is getting nervous about our Jan.19th sail...his fear is an outbreak on the ship and being trapped at sea.  I think that happened in 2020 because it was new and no one knew how to handle it.  Now 2 years later I assume the ports all have a plan if a ship arrives with an outbreak - there must be a protocol of what to do with everyone?  From what I read about the recent NCL in New Orleans they had people in hotel rooms etc.  

Does anyone know the actual steps if a ship had a major outbreak - can you "worst case scenario" it for me?  Worst case not being either of us seriously ill of course.  😉  I really don't want to cancel and I think we can take extra steps to feel safe and as protected as we do here at home.  For example I see pictures of crowded dance floors and no masks - I don't think we are there yet in our comfort zone.  Those are choices we can make.  I also respect he is nervous so I am hoping some intell may help ease his mind.  We'll both have 3 shots by sail date so we aren't really worried about getting sick - more about getting trapped in Florida.  

So I dont know the exact protocols, but the whole point of being blessed to cruise by the CDC was to avoid this kind of scenario again. You will be allowed off the ship and quarantined if you came by plane or allowed to go to your own private vehicle to go on your way. 

I'm not claiming expertise here but this is my understanding of the situation.

6 hours ago, melbrook said:

Things are MUCH better than they were two years. They really didn’t know what they were dealing with when covid first happened. The CDC would not allow ships to sail if there weren’t strict protocols in place. Every ship is equipped to handle covid now. I hope that eases your husbands mind. Happy sailing! 🛳

7 hours ago, melbrook said:

Go and enjoy. For us, we refuse to be lock up at home, especially at our age. One suggestion is to get good travel insurance. We purchase Princess Vacation Protection “and” Manulife Covid Plan. So if anything does happen, we’re covered. 

• Like 2

We're not planning on cancelling our May cruise from Southampton unless the Cruise line does it , UK and Ireland ports are still up in the air right now, if we cant get off in port and explore on our own thats a deal breaker for us..

We've purchases Princess PVP just in case, but not sure how that will work as most of the trip including EZair has been paid for with our FCC's.???

• Like 1

We changed our Feb cruise today when we heard they are ramping up testing 23,000 people a day across Canada in airports.  Since we would be on a cruise not sure how they would handle  coming from the US but visit 4 or 5 different Caribbean islands.  DH was chosen back in Nov but it wasn’t a long wait but took 3 full days to get results, would we have to quarantine?    I’m waiting for clarification from others that are cruising now.  We are fully vaccinated & have had booster.

Hopefully we can rebook as we still have flights.

We are Sailing January 8th and counting down! Will be in Orlando one week prior and plan to take all required precautions, wear our N95's indoors, eat outdoors, distance, etc. We will be bringing rapid tests as well to keep our minds at ease to lessen the anxiety come testing prior to the cruise 😬

We have every intention of going unless borders close or lockdowns (ugh shudder) are imposed. Hoping Omicron remains milder in the long run. We shall see!

We are all officially boosted in our family travelling and looking forward to some vitamin D and family reunion special moments after 2 years. 

To each their own for risk tolerance and personal situations. We have heard rave reviews from all our friends cruising right now and cannot wait to be a part of it!

Edited by Liverpoolfan181
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, melbrook said:

We got ourself a balcony exactly for the worst case scenario - I figured getting quarantined in the cabin with 3 meals delivered, laundry washed + wifi is really not THAT bad (from mom's perspective lol). 

For sure we will get the Covid insurance.

TBH it's probably safer on the ship Covid wise than anywhere else in US  - where can you ensure the crowd is fully vaccinated and tested with ample space between each other (capacity has reduced to less than half I heard).

In terms of land quarantine, again it's covered under insurance but if one is really eager to come back (to Canada), one can always drive and/or have a brave family member pick you up at the border. 

• Like 1

I want to add as well given  the rise of Omicron, we are starting to see a strong decoupling of ICU's from infection.  It isn't scientifically perfect yet and data is still coming in but it is looking encouraaging (at least in Ontario):

https://www.reddit.com/r/ontario/comments/re1vl0/ontario_dec_11th_update_1607_cases_5_deaths_42205/

.. and ..

VyFpzi1.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DHLuCruise said:

I want to add as well given  the rise of Omicron, we are starting to see a strong decoupling of ICU's from infection.  It isn't scientifically perfect yet and data is still coming in but it is looking encouraaging (at least in Ontario):

https://www.reddit.com/r/ontario/comments/re1vl0/ontario_dec_11th_update_1607_cases_5_deaths_42205/

.. and ..

VyFpzi1.png

I wouldn't get too encouraged, it's still early days. There is a slight delay between cases and ICU & hospitalizations. Besides, one has to leave the province to cruise.

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

I wouldn't get too encouraged, it's still early days. There is a slight delay between cases and ICU & hospitalizations. Besides, one has to leave the province to cruise.

I'm aware of that. I was talking about broad trends. 

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

I'm just feeling very pessimistic about my chances of cruising in the next year or two ☹️

I am watching the results carefully and things are showing that symptoms with Omicron are coming back much more mild. 

Here is a medical professional I've been watching throughout the pandemic. Our plan is to still travel unless we see outcomes being much worse.

I was discussing this exact topic this morning with my husband.

I think we need to ignore case numbers completely. I think it hit 1600 cases today in Ontario?

We need to look at ICU admissions, compared to number of ICU beds.

I am not suggesting that getting Covid is fine. I'm saying that we need to change what numbers we are looking at.

I think I mentioned this before, I'm cruising in two weeks and will feel safer on a cruise ship with 4000 vaccinated adults and kids, then I do going to the mall, grocery store, or even my place of work. The latter list is not 100% vaccinated. Yes I can look at the stats for my city, but it's not guaranteed.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I think I mentioned this before, I'm cruising in two weeks and will feel safer on a cruise ship with 4000 vaccinated adults and kids, then I do going to the mall, grocery store, or even my place of work. The latter list is not 100% vaccinated. Yes I can look at the stats for my city, but it's not guaranteed.

I definitely am watching cautiously but all data coming out is showing that we will be fine..

We are driving and in the rare eventuality that we get the virus we can drive back without issue and quarantine at home. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I think we need to ignore case numbers completely. I think it hit 1600 cases today in Ontario?

I am not suggesting that getting Covid is fine. I'm saying that we need to change what numbers we are looking at.

💯 % this!!

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

I felt very safe on the ship nov 7 to 21/21.  Much more safe than I do at home sometimes.

• Like 1

Our FPD is due in a few days. We are still hesitant but I think we will go ahead and take a chance. Who knows what its going to be like in March 2022. We are getting our third shot on Monday so feeling pretty confident all will be better as more and more people are getting this shot. There are more cases of covid but less people are sick, mostly asymptomatic.

Hoping 2022 will be better for all of us, DH and I are trying to remain optimistic.

Like many people here I too feel that cruising is much safer than many other activities allowed.

• Like 1

Cancelling NO, our final payments on our cruises are due in the next 3 weeks I will make them.   If we cannot go it would be because Celebrity cancels.  We have direct flights in the evening going down so I expect the flight won’t be full.   We are in a small town but our numbers are at the highest mainly due to young school kids transmission.  Feel terrible as they cannot protect themselves .   My niece has COVID right now she goes to Queens university in Kingston. She is fully vaccinated.    I spoke to her yesterday she has the OMNICRON variant and she has zero symptoms, she decided to get tested as her friend that she has a lot of labs with in school tested positive.  Now 1 out of 3 of her roommates also has COVID the other 2 negative so had to move to a hotel.   My niece also told me that a lot of symptomatic students are not getting tested as they don’t want to mess up their exams this week and next week.  So positive cases probably in Ontario I believe are much much higher.     

4 hours ago, schiff1997 said:

Cancelling NO, our final payments on our cruises are due in the next 3 weeks I will make them.   If we cannot go it would be because Celebrity cancels.  We have direct flights in the evening going down so I expect the flight won’t be full.   We are in a small town but our numbers are at the highest mainly due to young school kids transmission.  Feel terrible as they cannot protect themselves .   My niece has COVID right now she goes to Queens university in Kingston. She is fully vaccinated.    I spoke to her yesterday she has the OMNICRON variant and she has zero symptoms, she decided to get tested as her friend that she has a lot of labs with in school tested positive.  Now 1 out of 3 of her roommates also has COVID the other 2 negative so had to move to a hotel.   My niece also told me that a lot of symptomatic students are not getting tested as they don’t want to mess up their exams this week and next week.  So positive cases probably in Ontario I believe are much much higher.     

I feel like you probably live in the town I work in 🙂

Someone I work with has friends that work with the Health unit and she said that almost all the cases are those under 11, or family members who are asymtomatic and chose to get tested with their kids.

All the school outbreaks are elementary schools.

• Like 1

We justed booked our Feb cruise 3 days ago, so have no plans of canceling! 

Husband is eligible for his 3rd dose this coming week so he will have that.  If they are still saying 6 months between your 2nd and 3rd, I will not have mine.

I'm more worried about our giant walking germ making me sick (toddler that goes to daycare).  May pull her out the week before the cruise so she can't bring anything home to us.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:19 AM, Sistersinlaw said:

We are booked for Dec 26 Carnival Freedom Caribbean cruise. Our kids are nervous about going on the cruise now (16, 15 and 12 years old).  We are debating what to do, is anyone canceling? If canceling, are you getting refunds?

I can't speak about Carnival but we were in Florida for 5 weeks and we swore we wouldn't go on a cruise while we were there. Well, we started looking and eventually decided on a short 3 day cruise to ease back into it and see how the cruise line is doing with control. The ship was 30% capacity, 100% vaccinated and enforced mask wearing unless you were eating or on deck. We had one day at Princess Cays and it truly felt like a private island. 

Once our cruise started I was a bit worried but as time went on I felt more relaxed and by the end of the 3 days had to admit that Princess did a great job keeping us safe. I'm glad we went. Again, I don't know how well Carnival is doing with it but if you do go, make sure you know about ArriveCan and getting tests before going back. Use Walgreens to get a NAAT test for your return (its free) and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Regarding the safety aspect, to be honest the most dangerous part of our trip was the return to Toronto. Pearson was a cesspool with people jammed together with no social distancing. I was disgusted by what I saw. The Federal Government seems to have gone from discouraging travel to now trying to terrorize people about it and now actively trying to make you sick when you return. I'm vaxed and fully support doing the right thing but for us, it was time to get back to life. I understand its a personal choice and I wouldn't make fun of anyone who decides to stay home for another year but at this point for us, we were willing to be fine if we got sick and we had to isolate. Fully vaxed people in their 50's (like us) who have no underlying conditions are going to be fine so we felt it was time to get back to the real world. I'm not buying into the fear and doubt emanating from Ottawa these days. Fed up with it.

• Like 6