Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

We are booked on what will hopefully be our very first cruise (ya great timing isn't it) for Jan 20, 2022 and our final payment date is approaching near the end of this month.  About the only restriction that would make us cancel would be reverting back to a hotel quarantine scenario.  The added test upon arrival (although we will be driving and as of right now that doesn't apply) doesn't really phase us all that much even if we were flying.  As for the actual experience itself we have nothing to gauge that against.  I can only say that we were in Vegas in Sept and Mexico in Nov and we enjoyed both vacations, masks and all.  I do fully understand those that do cancel for sure, but thus far we are going.

4 minutes ago, edrussell said:

We are booked on what will hopefully be our very first cruise (ya great timing isn't it) for Jan 20, 2022 and our final payment date is approaching near the end of this month.  About the only restriction that would make us cancel would be reverting back to a hotel quarantine scenario.  The added test upon arrival (although we will be driving and as of right now that doesn't apply) doesn't really phase us all that much even if we were flying.  As for the actual experience itself we have nothing to gauge that against.  I can only say that we were in Vegas in Sept and Mexico in Nov and we enjoyed both vacations, masks and all.  I do fully understand those that do cancel for sure, but thus far we are going.

Driving back to Canada currently applies.  You still need to be tested.

All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, must:

• provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight, or arrival at a land border crossing to enter Canada 

Booked for March, thankful I don't have to pay them off until February so there is still time to decide but we really want to go. Flights are booked but I can move those if necessary (or cancel). 

We were in Orlando late October and all the testing and what not was a pain but not the end of the world, even wearing masks wasn't that terrible, except maybe the last travel day home which was super long. At least March we have direct flights so it should be short travel days. I believe I'll be able to get a booster before we go. And by then we should also know more about Omicron, and any other new variants. 

1 hour ago, Ginlyn said:

How are you feeling about the September 4th cruise on the Voyager?  We are on that one and I believe you are, too.  We had been “all plans going ahead” but now are wondering if it will be a wise move.  We only have departure flight booked and are holding off on return flight from Boston plus hotel booking in Denmark.

We are also on the cruise before the TA 

have not book airfare yet , as it keeps going up 😢, no airfare no hotel book 

I cannot believe the cost of airfare from Boston to YYZ , over $250 🙄

not sure what to think yet , I wonder if the CDC will let non Americans in to the US after a 14 day cruise 

5 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Sorry to say however, Calfornia is the worst state to visit. They have the most active Covid then another state. At least Florida is low base on there population. If you play it safe, then you may not have any problems. All the best on your cruise and enjoy it.  

Remember my disinterest in Florida is not so much about Covid. I'm probably just as confident about California as you seem to be about Florida. Enjoy your cruise, I hope the hoops we all need to jump through don't get even more outrageous before we travel. It's starting to remind me of the Ministry of silly walks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are sailing on HAL, Jan 2nd and at this point still intend on going. Anything can happen in the next 4 weeks but we are very hopeful. 🤞 We have no problem if we have to quarantine for a few days upon returning. 

I took the cruise line insurance (for the first time) so we can cancel the day before if we feel the need to. I also booked refundable flights on Air Canada. And the ridiculously expensive hotel in FLL for Jan 1st is also refundable. So no worries. 

• Like 1

We are on Anthem out of NJ Dec 24th. No current plans on canceling. The protocols dont scare us, we are driving so don't need to deal with crazy airports, and if g-d forbid we need to quarantine at home if anyone tests positive, we can as we all work from home. So we've weighed the risks and are going.

Only two things will stop us: 

1. Omicron appears to be the plague (which it isn't -- all reports out of SA right now are very encouraging)

2. Canada and/or the US start shutting down borders (which I really don't see them doing)

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

No, not planning to cancel, my family is sailing on Oasis Dec 26 for a B2B (only 3 more weeks of waiting!) Starting Dec 9th we will minimize any unnecessary socializing for 14 days since we need to make sure we test negative before we fly to Fort Lauderdale and for the cruise. Fingers crossed that everything will go smoothly, but at the same time we know we need to be flexible and keep up to date with all travel related requirement. We sailed in August and were very happy with all the healthy protocols on the ship. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DHLuCruise said:

We are on Anthem out of NJ Dec 24th. No current plans on canceling. The protocols dont scare us, we are driving so don't need to deal with crazy airports, and if g-d forbid we need to quarantine at home if anyone tests positive, we can as we all work from home. So we've weighed the risks and are going.

Only two things will stop us: 

1. Omicron appears to be the plague (which it isn't -- all reports out of SA right now are very encouraging)

2. Canada and/or the US start shutting down borders (which I really don't see them doing)

Hope that helps.

What is SA?

Our cruise is in less than three weeks.  Unless anything drastic happens (border policy changes or virus takes a nasty turn - or of course, if we test positive), our plan is to still go.  We are taking precautions and it will be a "low key" cruise , but like many others, we've had a few cancellations and really need this cruise.  

In our case, we are all vaccinated (wouldn't have gone otherwise), and we are only getting off at Royal's private island.  Other thing that's a big pro is that we can drive to the port.  We debated and debated whether to fly or drive, but decided on driving due to (1) less contact with others  and crowds when travelling to the port (2) moreover, no need to use uber to get to hotel/port, (3) if by chance we get covid, we can drive ourselves home (difference is that we would have to drive straight rather than breaking up the drive by a day).  In pre-covid times, we would have explored New York pre-cruise but with this trip, we'll pretty much be staying in our hotel or local once there until the cruise.

As of today, we are not getting together with anyone and kids aren't going to their extra curricular programs (only school will be in person).

On the ship, we will also be very careful.  We also purchased some N95 masks and will just do what we can.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Our cruise is in less than three weeks.  Unless anything drastic happens (border policy changes or virus takes a nasty turn - or of course, if we test positive), our plan is to still go.  We are taking precautions and it will be a "low key" cruise , but like many others, we've had a few cancellations and really need this cruise.  

In our case, we are all vaccinated (wouldn't have gone otherwise), and we are only getting off at Royal's private island.  Other thing that's a big pro is that we can drive to the port.  We debated and debated whether to fly or drive, but decided on driving due to (1) less contact with others  and crowds when travelling to the port (2) moreover, no need to use uber to get to hotel/port, (3) if by chance we get covid, we can drive ourselves home (difference is that we would have to drive straight rather than breaking up the drive by a day).  In pre-covid times, we would have explored New York pre-cruise but with this trip, we'll pretty much be staying in our hotel or local once there until the cruise.

As of today, we are not getting together with anyone and kids aren't going to their extra curricular programs (only school will be in person).

On the ship, we will also be very careful.  We also purchased some N95 masks and will just do what we can.

Where in Ontario did you buy N95 masks?

52 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

What about paying the toll highways.  There no more attendants to accept cash. We were also considering of driving. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Where in Ontario did you buy N95 masks?

There are numerous places to buy online. This CDC Marketplace article lists a number of masks to buy, and others not to buy. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mask-filtration-standards-marketplace-1.5974442

Several listed for sale at Amazon or elsewhere are no longer for sale by them, but a quick search online will find other sources.

I fly out Friday YYZ - MIA, and sail Saturday on the Celebrity Summit.  We also had a final payment due by the end of this week for a February 19 Caribbean sailing on the Reflection.    We decided to keep the booking, and see what happens as the sailing date approaches.  We are tired of cancelling trips (there has been many), and have come to the realization that if we want to travel, we need to stay on top of protocols, be willing to roll with the changes, and "jump through the hoops" in the current climate. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, wendycook22 said:

I fly out Friday YYZ - MIA, and sail Saturday on the Celebrity Summit.  We also had a final payment due by the end of this week for a February 19 Caribbean sailing on the Reflection.    We decided to keep the booking, and see what happens as the sailing date approaches.  We are tired of cancelling trips (there has been many), and have come to the realization that if we want to travel, we need to stay on top of protocols, be willing to roll with the changes, and "jump through the hoops" in the current climate. 

We are booked for the end of March.  Final payment is due this month, but the fare we booked we would have lost our deposit regardless of when we cancel.  I did buy the cancel for any reason insurance so we will wait and see closer to the trip to decide. 

We had also booked a week on an all inclusive with a large group of friends the week before the cruise.  Our friends are starting to bail on that.  We may cancel that and just stay in Galveston area instead. 
I booked our flight from Dominican to Galveston on points and stupidly didn't get insurance, so if we cancel that part we may lose out on that. 

I have not cancelled yet as I have until mid January to make the decision. We leave on April 17, TA, mind you, the decision may be made for us by the Cruise Line if things continue to progress in Europe.

Cheers,

Rockit

• Like 1

I heard the scientists need about 2-week to know more about the Omicron variant and it has already been a week, we will have enough time to decide whether to cancel or not depends on the outcome. 

• Like 1