Covid pre-departure testing

Megabear2

Going back to Silkysuzi’s question regarding the dropped ports. I just can’t put my hand on the letter we got but from memory, Tobago has been replaced by Grenada, Grand Turk has been replaced by St Kitts although I thought we were going there anyway. Guadeloupe and Martinique have gone completely and will be replaced by 2 extra sea days. We are not particularly bothered as we like sea days but it would have nice to put a foot on Guadeloupe as it is the only island on the schedule that we haven’t visited. Not to worry!! Apologies if I have not got the above quite right but as I said I am talking from memory and that is quickly being fogged by doom and gloom over variants. 

For fly cruises, regardless of the inconvenience or cost of yet another test, being quarantined in a foreign hotel is the issue I would be worried about, and again it raises the question of who would pay for a non positive partner/close contact (as discussed on the Iona thread).

The circumstances are slightly different and the numbers could be considerably higher!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pennib said:

Going back to Silkysuzi’s question regarding the dropped ports. I just can’t put my hand on the letter we got but from memory, Tobago has been replaced by Grenada, Grand Turk has been replaced by St Kitts although I thought we were going there anyway. Guadeloupe and Martinique have gone completely and will be replaced by 2 extra sea days. We are not particularly bothered as we like sea days but it would have nice to put a foot on Guadeloupe as it is the only island on the schedule that we haven’t visited. Not to worry!! Apologies if I have not got the above quite right but as I said I am talking from memory and that is quickly being fogged by doom and gloom over variants. 

Not surprising that Guadeloupe and Martinique have both been dropped, recent news reports are of some serious and quite violent rioting on both islands (objections to Covid restrictions).

14 hours ago, pennib said:

Quite. There was a hint on the news this evening that the coming home test maybe LFT instead of PCR. Another point is if you have to have a test before you arrive, why do you have to do another on day2? Of course, we have just booked our day 2 one and will just have to hope we can get a refund if it becomes unnecessary. Not holding out too much hope though.

we were notified today that our cruise (Azura Christmas and New Year) has lost 4 ports. 2 have been replaced by calls elsewhere but the others have been abandoned to sea days. A lot of people won’t be very happy about that. 

According to the UK Government website a LFT or PCR test will need to be done two days before arriving in the UK. This comes in on the 7th December. How this will impact on the cruise lines I don't know until we get info. Cruises to Barbados need a PCR test done 3 days before arrival as I believe will be required for some or all of the Caribbean. I think the point of controversy is if PCR tests are carried out onboard for Barbados and they are required 2 days before returning to the UK will the onboard tests be sufficient and certified by the cruise line ?

15 hours ago, Castle25 said:

very expensive........can P&O cope with all travelers having tests on board ship?

The cost of a PCR test if cruising to the Caribbean is £25 per head onboard per person. Presumably, although everyone will have to hang fire, if P&O have to do the tests two days before arrival then it will be another £25 per person.

22 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not necessarily - the flight is arranged by P&O, therefore the responsibility lies with them.

If Tui are the carrier then they must ensure that the pre-checks have been carried out. They may rely on P&O do facilitate that, but that's a business agreement. Tui are on the rack if the job is not done fully/correctly.

Obviously P&O and Tui have a very long history of working together so neither will intentionally stich the other up.

16 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

If Tui are the carrier then they must ensure that the pre-checks have been carried out. They may rely on P&O do facilitate that, but that's a business agreement. Tui are on the rack if the job is not done fully/correctly.

Obviously P&O and Tui have a very long history of working together so neither will intentionally stich the other up.

For our flight back from Spain and on most of our flights from foreign airports, the check in staff do the checks. They are normally local companies, or organisation contracted to the airline. If they fly in a passenger who shouldn't fly, the airline get the fine, not the check in staff, or the charterers.

I am due to cruise on 3rd Jan to Caribbean on Ventura.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a provider of 2 day arrival test for return to the UK.

Also should the requirement for these tests change do said providers have a refund policy.

31 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Thank you for the clarification.

24 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Thank you for this. A couple of questions if I may?  On a "normal " Caribbean fly cruise we receive a form with an envelope which we return to reception. A day or so later the envelope is returned with our seat allocation and boarding pass.  Will this still happen in the same way or will we have to be tested first and then receive our seat reservations and boarding passes?

Normally departing guests can leave the ship on the morning of departure and wander around the port shops etc.  Assuredly this will not be able to happen once testing is complete as it would obviously make the test pointless.  For those like me booked on the Farewell trips will we be bubbled or will these tours be cancelled?

On return trips the P&O "bubble" does not apply in the same way as after landing as apart from a separate security line passengers meet in the main departure lounge with a multitude of worldwide travellers. Has this been adapted for cruises this year?

Thank you for any information you may have which is greatly appreciated as ever.

You have a little while to go so perhaps wait to see what the UK government does going forward.  My research shows most are non refundable although some give a voucher valid for a year if you need to cancel. There will of course be exceptions and the helpful people on here will I'm sure have suggestions.

Boots seemed to be the exception when I booked my in person PCR tests for fly cruise in that they do not charge your card until the day so nothing lost on cancellation from what I can see.

By all means start to look for companies being recommended, there are many on the boards with suggestions but definitely wait until nearer the time before parting with cash as the rules are changing so rapidly. 

I've just used Chronomics . Service has been excellent . We just got back yesterday and due to the change in Gov policy while we were away they upgraded our Day 2  LFT tests for £25. Communication from them has been excellent to.   As Megabear says though , I would wait and see whats required closer to to your departure date.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Assuredly this will not be able to happen once testing is complete as it would obviously make the test pointless. 

Not sure why this would be the case. The test is just to provide a "snap shot" not a 100%   guarantee that travellers are totally covid free.

After all, if you were staying in a hotel, you could take the test, and then freely wander around for another 48 hours.  Why should cruise passengers be any different ?

I had been informed the day after booking and  before the new departure testing came into force that the last day tour/departure would be bubbled.  There apparently is a 72 hour before arrival into Barbados  (the return) PCR.  Depending on how the onboard testing is done (I have no clue) I had asked if this was sufficient to meet any new requirements for entry testing (pre empting Boris because I could see Sturgeon/Starmer turning the screw).  P&O said they were checking. In light of being told it was bubbles, I wanted to know if that included not wandering around the shops etc in the morning.  As Molecrochip is more in touch with what is actually happening on the ground I thought he/she might be best placed to answer on this occasion.

44 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

From reading reviews on Trustpilot, and Which magazine, its a lottery with many of the main providers, especially the cheaper self test ones.

The lottery was only if you actually wanted to receive the results.

Before the current change, for those fully vaccinated not being required to isolate on return, then all many were buying the test for was the PLF code.

Now with the changes getting a result quickly does matter, assuming you believe anyone is actually checking that people are isolating until they receive a negative result.

48 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

From reading reviews on Trustpilot, and Which magazine, its a lottery with many of the main providers, especially the cheaper self test ones.

I used Eurofins test yourself at home and post it back in a special post box as revealed on the Royal Mail website.  I think they were mid price but the service was excellent. The invoice gave the code for the PLF and the kit arrived in two days in a package that fits your letter box, so no need to be in.  After the cruise I followed the instructions and got on their website to log the kit number against my account posted off the completed test then got an email a few days later.  No stress, no smart phone, no scanning just got the negative result email, very simple. The only problem was that I had gone for PCR required when I applied but AFL was permissible when I returned and I think if the government tighten up PCR will return to the test required.

Regards John

I'm almost sure no-one will slip up here but here's a quick warning just in case.

When this was all announced OH got on to it straight away to try to beat the rush.

When he saw the price he just presumed all would be the same.  He paid £250.  He didn't hear me say it would be around £50 ish.  The air was blue.  I lost all semblance of  being a lady!!!!😂

Anyway the Company refuse to budge on price so we are having to put it down to experience,

Edited by indiana123

18 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I'm almost sure no-one will slip up here but here's a quick warning just in case.

When this was all announced OH got on to it straight away to try to beat the rush.

When he saw the price he just presumed all would be the same.  He paid £250.  He didn't hear me say it would be around £50 ish.  The air was blue.  I lost all semblance of  being a lady!!!!😂

Anyway the Company refuse to budge on price so we are having to put it down to experience,

I had an LFT test booked and now need a PCR but when I went to the same company to order the PCR they had increased the price by £10 after the announcement on Saturday night.  Naughty!

1 minute ago, indiana123 said:

All the man on the other end kept saying was  "I don't do costing".  If it had been me making the call I would have asked to speak to the Department that did do it!

Doubt it would have made any difference - they would have still told you ‘tough luck’ - they advertised a price and you chose to pay that.

Frankly the way the government ‘organised’ this has just resulted in every dishonest company jumping in to make a quick profit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, picsa said:

Doubt it would have made any difference - they would have still told you ‘tough luck’ - they advertised a price and you chose to pay that.

I agree entirely but I might have felt a bit better about it😂

Now it's all final I am ok about it and will put it down to experience and look forward to our cruise next week.