Covid pre-departure testing

Megabear2

11 hours ago, JessicaB97 said:

Can someone please help me? I’m getting married on Tuesday 28th December and due to fly to Barbados on Friday 31st December. I need to get a PCR test done before flying and as far as I was aware I could get it done anytime within 3 days of flying so could either get it done on 28th, 29th or 30th. 

If I look on P&O’s FAQ it states: If you arrive in Barbados on a Friday, you will be required to have the PCR test any time on the 3rd day before which would be a Tuesday.

I can’t get tested on the Tuesday as it’s my wedding day so have booked it in Boots on the 29th at 10:30am with hope I will receive the results back before check in. Will this be suffice? Thanks

Only P&O themselves can answer this reliably. Good luck and congratulations.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, whycantilogin said:

If it is not possible to have the PCR test on the Tuesday then I suggest asking Boots what their turnaround time is.  Most tests are sent away to outside laboratories and it therefore depends on them.  There are other companies which provide next day results, but you would have to find out those in your area.  Also be aware that you are not allowed to have a Rapid PCR test for entry either (see https://www.visitbarbados.org/covid-19-travel-guidelines-2021 ).

Hope this helps and have a lovely wedding day.

Thank you. I’ve decided to book with ExpressTest as that’s the provider Barbados has recommended on their website so at least I know I’m booking something they accept. It says results expected by 10pm the next day so I should receive them on the 30th fingers crossed! But it does say could take up to 48 hours so I guess I just have to hope for the best! Thank you!

On 12/8/2021 at 6:44 PM, Megabear2 said:

I cannot see this at all. Do you mean the pre departure test:

From Tuesday 7 December (GMT) onwards all people aged 12 years and over must take a PCR or LF (lateral flow) COVID-19 test before they travel to England from abroad. They must take the test in the 2 days before their journey to England departs:

• For those people on a cruise in the days before returning to England, this can be provided and organised on board at a cost of £18 (POC)/$25 (CUN). This will be charged to your on-board account.
  • If you are entering England via a direct flight or an indirect flight (a flight with multiple stops or connecting flights) you must take the test in the 2 days before your first flight.

These rules apply to everyone, whether they qualify as ‘fully vaccinated’ or not."

Hi Megabear

Sorry for the delay in posting.

I'm very confused. My friend who is travelling with me sent me a link and asked does this effect us. I took a screenshot of the result.

Now I cannot find it again. 

If you hadnt replied I would have happily got on board without booking a test.

Screenshot_20211215-075025_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jipsy said:

Hi Megabear

Sorry for the delay in posting.

I'm very confused. My friend who is travelling with me sent me a link and asked does this effect us. I took a screenshot of the result.

Now I cannot find it again. 

If you hadnt replied I would have happily got on board without booking a test.

Screenshot_20211215-075025_Chrome.jpg

I can see that this refers to testing before arrival and not 2 days after so sorry for the mis information. 

To clarify:  within 48 hours of returning to the UK you will need a test. P&O are providing this onboard and it will be charged to your account.

What is termed a Day 2 test is a separate PCR test required by the UK Government to be taken between days 0 and 2.  You will need to have this booked before leaving the UK as you must provide its reference number on your PLF.

You will therefore be taking 2 tests for return, the 48 hour one onboard as per the screenshot and a Day 2 PCR test which you have sourced and purchased yourself.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

To clarify:  within 48 hours of returning to the UK you will need a test. P&O are providing this onboard and it will be charged to your account.

What is termed a Day 2 test is a separate PCR test required by the UK Government to be taken between days 0 and 2.  You will need to have this booked before leaving the UK as you must provide its reference number on your PLF.

You will therefore be taking 2 tests for return, the 48 hour one onboard as per the screenshot and a Day 2 PCR test which you have sourced and purchased yourself.

I hope this helps.

This is what confuses everyone, it would be better if it was   "Before returning to the UK you need to take a PCR test, this should be taken no more than 48 hours before your return to the UK. This is in ADDITION to the day 2 test you take AFTER your return to the UK."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Thought a PCR or LFT was permissible  48hrs

Before returning to the UK 

Yes, it can be a LFT, if it meets the required  standards, and the appropriate certification is issued. You cannot use a common or garden self administered LFT. 

On 12/9/2021 at 10:36 AM, JessicaB97 said:

Thank you. I’ve decided to book with ExpressTest as that’s the provider Barbados has recommended on their website so at least I know I’m booking something they accept. It says results expected by 10pm the next day so I should receive them on the 30th fingers crossed! But it does say could take up to 48 hours so I guess I just have to hope for the best! Thank you!

Thanks for this Jessica, we're on the same cruise & have been going round in circles tonight trying to figure out where to book and when. 🤯 Boots have been worse than useless, but ExpressTest seems to be a great shout at first glance. We also need to book for the Wednesday so fingers crossed all round! Have a wonderful wedding day! 🙂

We used Boots for our pre departure test for our Barbados departure tomorrow as it was literally the only place with a slot in 40 mile radius. They have been very efficient, tested Tuesday 14th at 12.45,  results received Wednesday 15th at 20.35, processed by Eurofins.  We are using ExpressTest drive through at Gatwick on our return as it being a bank holiday very limited availability.  Will be interesting to compare.

Does appear that you get what you pay for though as my family who disembarked Iona last Saturday still have received only 3 out of 4 postal test kits and those that did arrive only did so late yesterday so they are still in isolation.  The system is apparently (according to the provider of the missing tests) getting overloaded at the laboratories as all tests are processed by a handful of these no matter who you purchase the test from.

Have a wonderful wedding Jessica and very many congratulations.

11 hours ago, JulesnMatt said:

Thanks for this Jessica, we're on the same cruise & have been going round in circles tonight trying to figure out where to book and when. 🤯 Boots have been worse than useless, but ExpressTest seems to be a great shout at first glance. We also need to book for the Wednesday so fingers crossed all round! Have a wonderful wedding day! 🙂

Ah fab! So frustrating isn’t it! Thank you and fingers crossed everything goes well and we can board the cruise 😊 thank you!

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

We used Boots for our pre departure test for our Barbados departure tomorrow as it was literally the only place with a slot in 40 mile radius. They have been very efficient, tested Tuesday 14th at 12.45,  results received Wednesday 15th at 20.35, processed by Eurofins.  We are using ExpressTest drive through at Gatwick on our return as it being a bank holiday very limited availability.  Will be interesting to compare.

Does appear that you get what you pay for though as my family who disembarked Iona last Saturday still have received only 3 out of 4 postal test kits and those that did arrive only did so late yesterday so they are still in isolation.  The system is apparently (according to the provider of the missing tests) getting overloaded at the laboratories as all tests are processed by a handful of these no matter who you purchase the test from.

Have a wonderful wedding Jessica and very many congratulations.

Have an amazing holiday! I’m glad you get your test results in good time 🙂

We were on board regal Princess for my hen party and 10 out of 11 of us got their postal kits from boots and 1 just never turned up and there was nothing they could do about it… so she just done an NHS lateral flow and went about daily life! 

Thank you ☺️☺️

Home from Ventura today. The "pre-arrival" LFT was done onboard, all very efficient and processed by the onboard lab. In our case free, but this was only because the cruise started before the requirement was introduced - so expect to be billed £18 in future. Day2 PCR was obviously down to us to arrange post-disembarkation.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, white_bear said:

Home from Ventura today. The "pre-arrival" LFT was done onboard, all very efficient and processed by the onboard lab. In our case free, but this was only because the cruise started before the requirement was introduced - so expect to be billed £18 in future. Day2 PCR was obviously down to us to arrange post-disembarkation.

Same cruise.  Totally agree.

Must get a job at the onboard lab. 😇